• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M106A1 * * Back from 2014 * *

ij001

Nobody is more surprised than me that I'm entering this campaign. But as I've mentioned in a couple of other unconnected threads, there's so much inspiration (and support/encouragement) here at MA, that I decided.... 'why not ?'

So keeping the blah, blah, blah to a minimum, here's the date-stamp pics:
....and I'll be making a start very soon.

AFN

Ian

M106A1 Mortar Carrier

sweet, I found one of those a few years ago. I loved building it.
can't wait to see this built!

M106A1 Mortar Carrier

Nobody is more surprised than me that I'm entering this campaign. But as I've mentioned in a couple of other unconnected threads, there's so much inspiration (and support/encouragement) here at MA, that I decided.... 'why not ?'

THAT's the spirit,Ian! (y)
I had a ride in one of those when our M113 broke down in service,they are just as "charming" as the M113.

Just a heads up,they are made of aluminium alloy,so don't use rust stains once you get to the weathering stage.(doesn't rust)

Yep,I will follow this one for sure! :popcorn

Greetings,Ron.

M106A1 Mortar Carrier

Thanks Ron... Doing mine as an NTC machine probably 2 Armd, so rust was never going to be a factor !!. Like the anecdote, maybe we should start a thread in the 'Lounge' for 'War Stories'... I have a couple or more.

Ian

M106A1 Mortar Carrier

Cheers,Ian!
Have some stories that are "naughty,naughty"...not really stuff that would be the best to publish openly in The Lounge. ;) :rotf

M106A1 Mortar Carrier

Ian...what is the camo squeme what are you planning to do ?

Best!

Luiz

M106A1 Mortar Carrier

Cheers,Ian!
Have some stories that are "naughty,naughty"...not really stuff that would be the best to publish openly in The Lounge. ;) :rotf

I was thinking entertainment as opposed to 'gross out' - we both served, we both know those stories. Keep them funny/light or just plain odd ;)

Ian

M106A1 Mortar Carrier

Ian...what is the camo squeme what are you planning to do ?

Best!

Luiz

One of the MERDC schemes, either this:

h78a0edc.jpg

or this:

h968317b.jpg

Ian

M106A1 Mortar Carrier

Made a start this week. Just basic stuff, inner wheels and a couple of interior parts assembled, then shot with a coat of Tamiya grey primer straight from the rattle-can. Only this morning I was able to spray the drivers station and cabin ceiling Tamiya 'Sky', The fighting compartment is Tamiya Olive Green - it looks a bit too 'emerald' just now but will calm-down after some old school dry-brushing and washes.

h51687b3.jpg

h922e0c5.jpg

h6baf8d9.jpg

he9f9682.jpg

h68f6934.jpg

None of the main sub-assemblies are glued together just yet, and because I'm doing the MERDC pattern camouflage, I'll leave-off all the external 'lumps'n bumps' until the main painting is masked & finished, they can easily be 'touched-in' later, before the washes and weathering.

AFN, as ever happy to take any questions, criticism and comments. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Ian

M106A1 Mortar Carrier

I thought the interiors were an off white, guess since this one opens from the top and so exposed it gets the exterior color?

Looks good :coolio

M106A1 Mortar Carrier

I've seen (first hand) M113's with white, pale blue and 'sky' interiors but they aren't nearly as exposed as this one. The M106's (like the M18's, M10's/M36's and even M8 SP Howitzers, before), have their 'fighting compartments' a dark green/drab. Guess you don't want to be too conspicuous from the air... Recon Ron and others will know a lot more than me on this.

I'm just following the instructions atm !! :soldier

Ian

M106A1 Mortar Carrier

Foam green is the interior color depending on when the vehicle was produced, but exposed areas would be done in the exterior base color.

FYI B)

M106A1 Mortar Carrier

In SA we use a light green color That way when you use an red light inside at night the light does not reflect out of the vehicle through the green tinted glass.

M106A1 Mortar Carrier

From what I can tell you from the Dutch and German M 113 series and variations is that the interiour color could be a light green/foam green/sky green (like Terry said) OR a ivory white OR a pale light grey color.
The hatches and big cargo door on the back side would have got a darker green/olive drab as they opened to the exposed outside for camouflage purposes.

Even vehicles in multi colored camouflage on the exteriour will retain the darker green/olive drab original color on the inside of the hatches and doors when opened to the exposed outdoors.

Ofcourse I can tell you only what I know from my service in Dutch service.Other countries MAY have other paint regulations.

The M106 I had to ride in when our M113 broke down had for the most part ivory white interiour color with the hatches interior color 'olive drab' and the disc platform for the mortar also in OD.

Here's a picture I've found on the net of a M106 with not just the mortar platform in green but most of it's interiour,...

m106.jpg

Maybe I can find back my old analogue pics,who knows.

Hope this helps.
Greetings,Ron.

M106A1 Mortar Carrier

Good to know my memory hasn't completely let me down yet. Just look at the wear on the plate on that inside picture. An idea for my project may be to really 'distress' the interior and have the exterior relatively pristine.... A re-paint ??

Ian

M106A1 Mortar Carrier

Good to know my memory hasn't completely let me down yet. Just look at the wear on the plate on that inside picture. An idea for my project may be to really 'distress' the interior and have the exterior relatively pristine.... A re-paint ??

Ian

Distressing the interior,..I like the idea,Ian! :good:

I wouldn't go so far to do a complete re-paint.Dry Brushing with various shades of a metal color would go a long way.'dirt washes' and maybe some pigments could be a benefit as well.

Greetings,Ron.

Back