• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

PantherSAM(R1)-ETO46-Trumpeter-1/35thScale

errains

Heavy Metal Modeling
Staff member
h6e1c905.jpg

Rheintochter was a German surface-to-air missile developed by Rheinmetall-Borsig during World War II. Its name comes from the mythical Rheintöchter (Rhinemaidens) of Richard Wagner's opera series Der Ring des Nibelungen.

The missile is a multi-stage solid fuelled rocket. It had four small control surfaces, resembling paddles, in the nose, six fins at the after end of the top stage, and four at the end of the main stage. It stood 6.3 m (20 ft 8 in) tall, with a diameter of 54 cm (1 ft 9 in). The sustainer motor, located ahead of the 136 kg (300 lb) warhead (rather than behind, as is more usual) exhausted through six venturis between the first stage fins. [sub](Wikipedia)[/sub]

Though the development was cancelled before it was brought into production it has become a popular subject with speculation as to whether the missile launcher system would have been mounted on the mobile platform. Several manufactures have released kits depicting their proposed mobile platforms. It should be noted that German surface-to-air missile programs are the grandfather to the modern Integrated Air Defense Systems (IADS) currently employed by several nations today.

hb8a927f.jpg

Rheintochter R1 on test launcher

h8698d0d.jpg

Rheintochter R1 inflight with booster attached

Trumpter's Rheintochter R1 mounted on a late model Panther
h50d2ef2.jpg

It took about an hour to test fit the major hull elements to see how the well they went together...which was quit nicely.
ha6dc4a7.jpg

h1660d77.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for stopping in for a look see.
:v

No, no, no, I said DART gun. :rotf

Cool project, looking forward to what you come up with. (y)

Alrighty Then!! :woohoo:

Got a little bit more done on this build and promptly had my first hiccup with it. Now not being the least bit knowledgeable on anything Panther related, I didn't realize that this here is a stretched hull panther and has one additional road wheel. Why does that matter you might ask?...Will the tracks in this kit are stupid and I'm replacing them. Since I'm not sure how many track links I'll need I'll be buying two sets of replacements..."Thank You Mr. Tamiya". With that taken care of the of the suspension and road wheels went together swimmingly. So next I'll figure out how to mount the tracks and wheels in fashion that I can paint and weather them...I'm excited :frantic

hed16032.jpg

Thanks for stopping in!!
:v

Nice little rocket sled.

Paint as I go (my aircraft/auto methodology) was definitely a lesson learned on the BUK, at least in subsystems. Building most, then painting was one of my experiments that didn't work out so well. Granted the complexity of the vehicle didn't help matters. :facepalm:

Back