• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M10 #1 * * FINISHED * *

ij001

Plan on building three M10's over the next year or so:- I've had this re-release of the 1999 Academy kit for a couple of years and started 'tinkering' with it at the weekend...

ha39a4d2.jpg

h78c4a32.jpg

Nothing major is glued-together yet, however I found that the fit of the gearbox cover to the glacis plate isn't too good but very easily solved. Probably didn't need to re-texture the housing either, but, well... why not, eh ?. This will be one of the RBFM M10's using the superb Cartograph decals from the box possibly in a vignette with just a couple of figures.

The other two M10's will be from the Tamiya kits (which I haven't bought yet :frantic ). One will be an Italian theatre vehicle in OD & Earth Tan, the other will be a British Achilles possibly in a '[Road to the] Bridge Too Far-esque' diorama.

Plenty of other armour projects vying for my attention at the moment so this may be one of those 'long term things'. Please stay tuned, there will be more, just not sure when.

Best from NZ.

Ian.

Wikipedia - RBFM link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9giment_Blind%C3%A9_de_Fusiliers-Marins

M10 #1

Sounds like a Kool plan for the year. (y)
Academy doesn't have the best reputation as some other companies but I've always kinda liked them and their newer stuff is really nice. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread... :popcorn
:v

M10 #1

Sounds like a Kool plan for the year. (y)
Academy doesn't have the best reputation as some other companies but I've always kinda liked them and their newer stuff is really nice. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread... :popcorn

I agree, they get a 'bad press' for a lot of their AFV kits, but for folks like me who don't need the ultimate in absolute accuracy and can cope with vinyl tracks and the occasional 'soft detail', then they're pretty good value for money. The wee M3 Stuart that they released about the same time as the M10 is one of the nicest kits that I ever put together (and full interior detail, most of which you can see).

The interior for this kit is on the same level, doesn't need too much added inside to make it a real 'looker'.

Thanks for the comments folks. :soldier

Ian.

M10 #1

Whilst the Ferrari bodyshell is drying I got the M10 back out and test-fitted the DEF barrel & mantlet:

h317a087.jpg

hb4869be.jpg

h191dbb2.jpg

hf6cadc1.jpg

Looks a whole lot better to my aged eyes - barrel is rifled, but doesn't show on my pics. Need to really pre-plan the priming and painting as there's a lot to see in there and I'm determined to get continuity of tones. Please stay tuned to this one - it's not a quick build by any means but I'm determined to get this one 'right'.

Have a great weekend folks (26deg here, and we're one of the cooler parts of NZ this weekend).

Ian.

M10 #1

Plenty of other armour projects vying for my attention at the moment so this may be one of those 'long term things

Sounds like a familiar problem Ian. Looks good and they will be some interesting builds

M10 #1

Sunday = 'Me time'

h070b070.jpg

h8188471.jpg

h1a2f684.jpg

Each of the shell tubes (32 of them) needed to be pit-together, rubbed down, primed & painted. The drivers position and the fighting compartment needed some lateral planning to minimise the masking needed, then brought it all together over a two-hour session with cursing & strong coffee:
:java

Made a start on the turret but the dry-fitting already warned me that this was going to be a royal PitA to get together so have sent out for more coffee and re-stocking my vocabulary of foul-language.
:java :java

More next week, have the rest of a great weekend folks.

Ian.

M10 #1

Looking the GOOD there Ian! :good:
Excellent color and weathering on the inside bits. Just slow and steady on that there turret.

M10 #1

Turret fit turned out to be the pain in the a*se that I predicted:

h9fa9145.jpg

hf670286.jpg

Nothing that some Tamiya filler and a couple of sessions witht the sanding-sticks couldn't sort out tho'. After that is was time to mask the interior and break-out the matt black for the shadow coat.

hc67b1ea.jpg

Before leaving for work this morning, I had time to spray the first of the Mig Olive Drab tones (OD Base 125):

h6cee612.jpg

When I get home, it should have settled down and I'll get the second tone on (OD 126). Tomorrow is a National Holiday here so with luck I can grab time to get the modulation tones on to it aswell, but as usual there's absolutely no guarantee that I can make that happen.

Please stay tuned and thanks for the comments and encouragement so far. :soldier

Ian.

M10 #1

Strange how things happen isn't it - was supposed to be a BIG DAY at work with a live exercise and a 'table-top' running side by side... got to the office at 0930 and was told it was postponed because our helo was being sent on an urgent medevac and the summer heat here had fried one of our 'brand new' servers.
:bang head

So back home at 1030, and in the 'cave' an hour later after chores. All of which means I've arrived at this point:

hdd67a5c.jpg

he276fbf.jpg

h7b0d3d6.jpg

Yes I know it looks terribly false, but remember I said the same when I finished the modulation on the Easy 8, and that turned-out OK...

hb490ac6_2020-02-04.jpg

h49ca7cc.jpg

So here's hoping the rest of the build follows the 'template' from the Sherman build. Stand by for more progress, but only after I finish the Ferrari.

All for now. :soldier

Ian.

M10 #1

Kit decals are designed by DEF Model and printed by Cartograph:

h0db3563.jpg

hac9f052.jpg

h3dfa1e0.jpg

Sealed in with Tamiya TS-13 Clear. Won't do any more now for a few days because I want to focus on finishing the Ferrari.

AFN :soldier

Ian.

M10 #1

Back on the bench whilst we're waiting on MMM 2020 to kick-off... :soldier

h145d955.jpg

hca4b04d.jpg

he891c4a.jpg

Overall brown enamel wash, then black(ish) pin wash and some limited chipping & scratches - all sealed in with a light coat of Mig Satin Varnish. Next, the oil-dot-filter... :frantic . Have a great weekend folks, more next week hopefully.

Ian.

Back