• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SA-5 Gammon

jknaus

Administrator
Another one for the Recce shelf. I've had a good 2 days of building.

hb81ec37.jpg

h11e8fd5.jpg

h135c95a.jpg

And what I have accomplished so far. The Launcher only need the 100 or so little knobs put on and the stakes and their holders and I can paint it. Started the missile tonight. I think this is bigger than the SA-2. Will see when they are side by each.

hf0532d7.JPG

h0bd7220.JPG

haaec5c9.JPG

h847d43e.JPG

hc621426.JPG

h75a2d15.JPG

h2eb2ff7.JPG

h8cab23e.JPG

James

Such a cool Project James!

Please correct me if I am wrong: were These also used in the Yom Kippur war in 1973?

Good luck with your Progress.

Cheers

Alex

Such a cool Project James!

Please correct me if I am wrong: were These also used in the Yom Kippur war in 1973?

Good luck with your Progress.

Cheers

Alex
Thank you. The ones in the Yom Kippur were SA-2 guidelines. The Egyption SA-2 I did is here https://modelersalliance.org/forum/armoured-fury/153191-egyptian-sa-2?limitstart=0&start=12
James

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3hJInFyhCQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCssGjiUgqk

Thanks James

I had never thought about building Missiles except the V2. Your work and the Videos are inspiring. I will look into that.

I guess the SA-2 were enough to wreak havoc in the Sinai...

Cheers

Alex

Almost done. Just the tiny parts and paint. Here is a list of things I found that might help anyone else doing this build.
Trumpeter SA-5
Step 1: No issues with this except trying to figure out how the stakes were mounted. Insert narrow end of H20 through hole in stake and into hole in arm with end pointing up at an angle. Think maybe taping the stake to are then doing this may be best way. Note. Most of these seem to be mounted on hard stands so would not use the stake. I finally found pics with all stakes removed. Will have to try and remove the ones I mounted if possible. Found the diagram really confusing with the square box shown on the turn table that isn’t there and not real.
Step 2: Highly recommend DO NOT glue the tiny stuff on until you sandwich the turntable between the crescent parts. Lost pieces on mine.
Step 3: I used some blue tack on the PE-A1 part. Some cyano on end and held on and then some blue tack to hold it. Then continued gluing and adding blue tack until I was done. Worked really well.
Step 4: Leave till last or parts will disappear. I tried Tamiya green cap and it didn’t work well so used the revel glue and it worked very well. Its just controlling how much comes out that is the problem. Found it way easier to glue par A-1 and2 together and mount and then add B-9 and then PE
Step 5: Small parts last. Learned the hard way the mesh stands have really small dimples matching the protrusions on the roof and the little supports (G-21). Screwed up but got it together finally.
Step 6: It was difficult getting the shafts mounted on C-17. Finally figured out that if I wedged the handle of my tweezers into the slot and then turned them I could force the walls apart. H-15 slid in easy that way. Care needed you don’t snap C-17s walls though. Rest was nice and easy
Step 7:
Step 8: B-22 makes no sense. Could not figure how to mount it as shown. But all the pictures I have seen show B-22 being closed on B-16 and the missile resting on the 2 teats so that’s what I did. I used a drill bit to line up the 2 end pieces (B-24/D-15 and C-23/D-4) and then pinned with G-3 and glued G-3 in place. Nice and easy. Also I found it easier to glue the 2 forward arms to H-6 and the launcher and then place the end piece in. Then taped around the 2 arms until set so the end piece can still move. I’ve found it either holding the missile or folded down.
Step 9:
Step 10: C-25 and C-26 hard to install. Had to use some pressure and lube the holes for the pegs with some glue first. Worried I might break it when I was doing this step.
Step 11: Leaving E-3 off so I can paint the missile and head separately. Same the aux rockets will be left off to paint.
Step 12:
Step 13: PE-A5 really small so not sure how I will bend it.
Step 14: Okay B-2 and B-3 confused the hell out of me. Finally I came upon the bright idea to glue them to the launcher and they would line up with whatever later. Bad move. I finally found that they have a socket that the bottom Aux Rocket plugs into and then onto the launcher. Managed to pry them off with no damage. Now they are ready to be glued properly. When I get the Aux rocket painted I will add them and install it on the launcher. Then I will mount the rocket to it. Then add the other Aux rockets. Have done a dry run and that’s the easiest. H-18 is uber tiny.
Step 15:
Step 16: I added E-4 during step 10 so it would all be lined up.
Hope this is of some use to you.

hd59712e.JPG

h1003867.JPG

And in the final view you can see the door with 2 mounds closed with the missile resting on it. Thats the most common pic I see.

ha1d4e98.JPG

James

Oh the great boogeyman of Air Force mission planning...Until the SA-10 came out...Oh the memories :v
:popcorn

Painted the launcher last night although the basement was cold. It all sprayed well and looked good. When I checked this morning I found the paint has weird modulations and some staining. No idea why but it actually looks kind of neat and nothing I could reproduce. If you look close you can see it really well in the cradle.

h62fc248.JPG

h0c840b2.JPG

hc67cb66.JPG

h2cf717d.JPG

h0641be4.JPG

hd8165e9.JPG

Unfortunately the white spattered but I will have to wait till the basement warms up some and try to repaint.
James

That looks great! It also looks like something that has happened to me when I mix old paint a bit too liquid. The weak, diluted paint tends to look like that once dry.

That looks great! It also looks like something that has happened to me when I mix old paint a bit too liquid. The weak, diluted paint tends to look like that once dry.
Thing is though this is new paint. Its kind of weird but I'm okay with it. Adds some visual interest. I just wish I could go and finish the missile.
James

Looks amazing James,

as I said I never thought about doing one of These but your work is inspiring. So maybe...

Cheers

Alex

Decaling although it is a slow go. So many decals.

Attachments

• DSC08369.JPG
    DSC08369.JPG
    373.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC08370.JPG
    DSC08370.JPG
    368.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC08371.JPG
    DSC08371.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 7
Back