• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

E-100 ETO 1946

Skinny_Mike

Hi guys! Hope everyone is staying safe and doing well. Its been a long time since I post much progress on any builds. 2019 as it turned out, was a pretty terrible year for me and my model building mojo. Part of that was due to being forced into spending roughly 6 months on the road last year for work, which really took its toll.

I decided to a couple of things down off the shelf and try to get back in the groove. This first was supposed to be a quick and dirty build, just to get the mojo flowing again. Plus I was a little bit inspired by the couple of 1946 ETO builds that were going on here, so I grabbed the Dragon E-100 kit that I’ve had for a while. This is one of the early Dragon kits and represents the E-100 with the Maus turret.. Its not a great kit, but it also has a relatively small parts count compared to today’s monster kits from the same manufacturer.

Post1-1.jpg

I picked up a few aftermarket items to enhance things a little bit and started cutting and gluing the plastic. I didn’t bother photographing as I went. Like I said, I was trying to get back in the grove and didn’t really want to end up stalling out with another unfinished thread.

Kit went together relatively well, but it is really basic and showing its age. I decided to do some upgrading with different materials and parts which all show up against the gray kit. Yellow parts came from the Tamiya panzer IV tools set, white is plastic card etc. Lower hull has most of the tool upgrades. Handles were added to the crew hatches, as they were not included in the kit. I also built the kit missing a side skirt, as most modelers do for the E-100 and ended up building the structure under the adjacent skirt. Photo etch is from the kit. I also attempted to simulate some shell impacts on the front of the hull following a procedure I found on line, I think they turned out pretty well.

Post1-2.jpg

Post1-3.jpg

Next up the turret. Turned metal barrels from RB. The Tiger 2 cupola was from PanzerArt. I figured if this had gone into production there would have been a cupola. I added cast texture to the mantlet and the MG balls on the sides. Lift rings were added to the roof and foliage loops added to the sides. I also rebuilt the rear hatch to be similar to that on a Tiger 2. I meant to add a rough edge to simulate the rough flame cut edge, but I forgot before I glued it all in place.

Post1-4.jpg

Post1-5.jpg

Here is a comparison shot of the E-100 Turret next to my Panzer II to show just how massive the turret is.

Post1-6.jpg

And a shot of the assembled model. The road wheels have all been assembled and painted and I’ll add them at the appropriate time.

Post1-7.jpg

Here is a quick family photo of the armor kits that I really can’t figure out why I haven’t finished yet. But I think as I keep moving, I’m going to start a kind of assembly line, since the weathering and finishing should be relatively similar. Maybe that will help me have a successful modeling year in 2020!

Post1-8.jpg

I did finish the painting earlier today, so might try to get that post up a little later.

Thanks for looking in
Mike

As promised, here is the base paintwork. One of the fun parts of these paper panzers is that you can do whatever you want for the camo.

Primer is Ammo Gray one-shot.

Post2-1.jpg

Colors are as follows:

MIG-908 Grey Base for the Gun Barrel
Mission Models RAL7028 Dunkelgelb Late 1944
Mission Models RAL 6003 Olivegrun
MIG-015 RAL8-17 Schokobraun

I used masks from DM Models for the German disc camo

Post2-2.jpg

Post2-3.jpg

The paint under the missing side skirt is Vallejo Red Brown Surface Primer with Ammo Red Primer High Lights to give a little variation. This is meant to match the German red-oxide primer paint. I also sprayed this under the skirts and the belly of the hull and the bottom of the turret.

Moving along on this one.

Thanks for looking in.
Mike

Time to use the....

h9ff8090_2020-03-23.jpg

....photograph. Love that scheme, seen it only a couple of times before, but cannot recall on which subject(s). Looking forward to following along with this one.

Ian.

Awesome!!! :ro:

Really liking the disc camo and will dovetail nicely into the camo I have planned for my ETO46 PantherSam. It looks to me like the Hetzer and the PzII are close to the finish line.

Please Continue... :drinks

Odd, even though Mike is registered and posting some of his post, I'm sure this will get sorted out.

Odd, even though Mike is registered and posting some of his post, I'm sure this will get sorted out.

Seems like anything that was transferred over from me show's as guest without my Avatar and anything I post after I updated my profile shows me as an "Active Member". Stupid one's and zero's! :rotf I'm not sure that's really a big deal.

Should have a post up on the E-100 later this week. Finished the pin wash over the weekend.

Mike

Hi all! Thank you all for the kind comments and encouragement! I really appreciate it.

Time for a quick update on the E-100 build. After the base coat was finished, I mixed a lighter version of the base green and brush painted the highlighted parts. Then I gloss coated the model with Future, then I applied some tactical markings from a set of Star aftermarket decals, I think originally intended for a Panther. I used the standard Micro Set/Sol process and after a couple of days another coat of future was applied to seal in the decals. I let the future cure for a few days while I worked on some of the other projects then applied a pin wash using Mig’s Brown Wash for Dark green. While this was drying I also mounted the guns and mantlet to the turret front. Once the wash had dried for a few more days, I gave the whole model a coat of Vallejo Satin Varnish. I prefer this to a flat coat, as I feel it gives a much more realistic appearance. Here the photos…

full

full

full

Very oddly, the number decals were exactly the same on the decal sheet, white outlined in black. But on the model, the decal placed over the dark green/brown seems to have the black outline disappear, while its still apparent on the lighter yellow back ground. Interesting.

Still moving along on this guy, and a bunch of the others.

Thanks for looking in and as always, comments and questions are always welcome.
Mike

Very nice Mike, you've really been productive!

Thanks Bob. I have had a pretty productive couple weeks. It feels good after the last few years. Its seems the more I get done the more motivated I am to keep going, its a good feeling.

Awesome build!
I love these paper panzers 😍

Thanks Mats. I am pretty happy that I've been able to try a few new things and see how that goes. Paper Panzers can be so liberating and fun, since there are like no rules! I'm working two of them (sort of) at the moment.

Back