• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Simpatico, A Miniature Mansion for my daughter

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
I am calling this project, "Simpatico"

If you have read the thread, “Bob’s New Daughter”, then you have all the information to understand what this is about. If not,

The first time I saw my daughter in person was in March, 2010, in Springfield, Missouri. I met her and we spent the day getting to know each other, just driving around and comparing notes on both our backgrounds.

When we were in the eastern part of town, I remembered a house that I had loved all my life since a kid. She then said she had one too that was in this area. I started driving in the general direction and she began describing the house. Long story short, Same house. Her birthday is in December and I had planned to build her a Chinese pagoda, another common interest. Then It occurred to me how perfect it would be to instead build a model of that house for her.

Susan and I went down to visit again from the 7th through the 12th of May. While there, I snapped about a hundred pictures of the house from all angles. Below are a few. The SBS is also unique to the masterclass in this respect. All previous masterclass threads have been posted after completion of the project.

I have thought about that as opposed to the normal threads. This will be a project over time as the build progresses. Kind of an experiment to see if this will work in masterclass as well as it does in the other build threads. Who knows? I never said I was Einstein! Here are the pics of the house and grounds I will attempt to replicate.

CIMG1490.jpg

CIMG1492.jpg

CIMG1494.jpg

CIMG1498.jpg

The property takes up at least half a city block, has tennis courts, swimming pool and several out buildings. Is it the greatest mansion in the world? Of course not. But it is a beautiful, magnificent piece of architecture, far beyond my price range. I intend to include everything, maybe not quite all the trees, but it will have enough to simulate the feel. A few of the challenges in doing this is first, the unique stonework. Then the brick on the front has been laid in a parquet chevron pattern. Neither of these are available in scale commercial sheets, at least that I know of, so both will have to be made from scratch. I am using a 2′ X 4′ base, so it will be large enough to show the details. I have a little less than seven months to complete, so I have to get moving on it.

My plans are to build this step by step and post each one as it progresses both on my website and here on Tanks and Things.com. I am fairly confident I can have it done in the time allowed, providing nothing serious happens in the interim.

Since I only have known of her existence approaching 6 months, she has inspired me to many off the wall things I have never before attempted, like…… writing a poem?? Guess it is all just part of being a father. Who knows what’s next?

I know, it isn't military, but the building techniques are identical. I hope this will interest members.

Till next update!

Bob

Re:Something really different in more ways then one.

I think it will be a cool project.

Terry B)

it will be so lovely to follow this growing! splendid, splendid, arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :arrrg

Interested??? Are you kidding! When do we start!

Re:Something really different in more ways then on

Hey guys, Richard, Terry, Laura, Johnny, Bob jr. John B and John S,

Thanks for the comments and interest.

I was hesitant to post it here for two reasons, it's really unique for a model and I can tell it's not going to be easy. In fact the more I get into it, the more difficult it seems to get. Replicating that stone and brickwork will be really tricky!

Oh well, Onward and upward!!

Bob

bob letterman wrote:
I was hesitant to post it here for two reasons, it's really unique for a model and I can tell it's not going to be easy. In fact the more I get into it, the more difficult it seems to get. Replicating that stone and brickwork will be really tricky!

bababababababa!

it's a challenge, isn't it? right?

what does our hero do when he encounters a challenge? what did our hero always do on all the different occasions he was confronted with a challenge?

man or mouse? :p ;)

Kreighshoer wrote:
bob letterman wrote:

bababababababa!

it's a challenge, isn't it? right?

what does our hero do when he encounters a challenge? what did our hero always do on all the different occasions he was confronted with a challenge?

man or mouse? :p ;)

Mouse???? We'll see! I have a secret weapon on this build. I can't disappoint Gail on her birthday!

Bob

New element on this also, time restraint. When is Sis' birthday?

Re:Something really different in more ways than one.

:) Sounds great Bob- your techniques will be good whether it is military or not ;) .
Thank you for sharing this project with us, as it is a very personel thing. A wonderful (live)story unfolding every day for you. All the best.

Your solution to the brickwork will be interesting.
Good luck!

Ian.

Re:Something really different in more ways than on

Thanks Ian,

My solution to the brickwork will be interesting to me as well! At the moment, I don't have a clue! Also, the pictures are small, but can you see the shapes and configuration of the light gray stone?, Whoa!!!! As Laura said, I'll figure it out. Most of the time it just comes down to trial and error!

Bob

Something really different update

I will start with the base. When we started the museum back in 1993, I built about thirty of this type of base. They have a 2 X 2 frame, (50mm X50mm), and covered with plywood, then carpeted. The plexiglass cover will keep it dust free. When we shut the museum down, I moved a dozen or so to storage. This base is 4 feet by 2 feet, (1219mm X 609mm), and will be perfect for this project. Note the cardboard sheet for the basic construction of the model and the plywood that will be used to mount the diorama. That way, it can be lifted off for moving it. I intend to dress it up with some wood veneer, a brass plate, etc.

CIMG1538.jpg

CIMG1537.jpg

CIMG1536.jpg

Bob

that base looks KILLA!

i just wish i had the space to place some of those here!

Great looking base. To big for my house though :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy: I expect you will build it like your other large buildings. One brick at a time. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Cheers
John

Re:Something really different in more ways than on

Thanks Laura, Guess what? I am running out of space myself!

Thanks John, maybe not one brick at a time, except for the chevron pattern. There is no way otherwise! I have never seen a sheet of chevron laid bricks? Also the stones are totally unique! No sheets available for those. For that I will have to make a sheet, put it in RTV and cast a few!

Bob

Hi Bob

This is going to be great to follow. By my reckoning you have only 6 months to scratch build it!!

Looking forward to following this already. Good luck mate

Ant

Hi Bob ! great find! and this is going to be a really interesting project!

Jaymes.

Back