• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DOc's COF IV - Egypt (2 x Mig-17) - DONE!

Flyingbabydoc

Hi friends,

The Mirage is a real bust, very frustrating. However, to get things going I am starting another Project for the Cauldron of Fire.

I am assemblying 2 Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17 (one F and one PF), both of the Egyptian Air Force serving in the 60's.

One of them will be the Plastyk kit from Poland. Not much Detail on that one but very cheap. The second one will be the new Zvezda Kit, much more detailed and with better Quality than the previous Zvezda models.

Decals are from Hi-Decal and will depict:

1. MiG-17 PF "2748" serving at Al-Maza AB in 1981 (the Plastyk kit), which will be painted with the "Nile" Camouflage in sand and 2 tones of green;

2. MiG-17 F "2728" Operating from dispersal strips in the Nile Delta during the Yom Kippur war (october 1973). This will be the Zvezda kit with a more traditional sand - golden Brown arab Camouflage.

Wish me luck. Thanks for watching.

Cheers

Alex

Plastyk:

h6d8f2cd.JPG

h9ca3afa.JPG

heca806b.JPG

Zvezda

h279de8c.JPG

hddf7e90.JPG

hcc55417.JPG

h6dbacbe.JPG

DOc's COF IV - Egypt (2 x Mig-17)

Nice. Looking forward to seeing how the Zvezda goes together. I know some of their newer kits are supposed to be pretty good. I've got one of the newer Su-27s in the stash, and it looks like a pretty tidy little piece of kit.

Hey Chris,

I started working on both and I have to say that I am very impressed with the Zvezda kit. They sure have stepped up the Quality of their product. It is clean, well detailed for an Eastern European kit, everything so far fits rather well together.

The Plastyk kit is a waste of carbon molecules. As with the Mirage nothing seems to fit well. Perhaps in the Hands of an experienced modeller it would look better but in my Hands not the case.

Here the comparison side by side. I have added some PE for the seat belts (Soviet seat belts I had on my stash) in both of them, just to give a better Impression.

First the Plastyk. Really horrible. Even the chair wouldn't fit. What I found interesting though is that These MiG-17PF already had the Cockpit in the typical Blue Torquoise colour, whilst the F models were a light gray.

Plastyk Cockpit:

h18d2483.JPG

h28108ab.JPG

h8e1886b.JPG

hb708424.JPG

The Zvezda Comes with a few colourful decals and milimmetric precision in the assembly. Really a pleasure to build. No adjustments necessary, even the seat belts fit perfectly.

Zvezda Cockpit:

h59fb3a0.JPG

heec3e04.JPG

h44a6738.JPG

h5d74310.JPG

hf2e6a0a.JPG

Now on to the main assembly. I will be reporting soon.

Cheers

Alex

Very nice Alex!

Following with full of interest :popcorn

Luiz.

P.S : Quantos gráus neste verãozão :vmad aí na Alemanha? :drinks :drinks :drinks ... na sua terra (RS), aqui no Brasil, está fazendo muito frio para os nossos padrões :frantic :frantic :frantic

Luiz.

Thank you Luiz. The Zvezda Kit is really a pleasure to work with. More Progress to follow.

O verao esta insuportavel por aqui. Essas sao as temperaturas para hoje.

he59a603.jpg

Nao te esquece que, ao contrário do Brasil, aqui praticamente nao tem ar-condicionado. Um Inferno mesmo.

Abracos,

Alex

Hello friends,

The assembly is ready for both models. No doubt there is a world of difference between the companies. Kudos to Zvezda, they have really upped their game and this kit is indeed lovely to work with. The Plastyk is quite difficult on the other Hand, lots of adjustments necessary.

I have added the baseline Color on the bottom, which is a RLM 69 diluted solution for the later MiG-17PF and a faded blue from AK Interactive for the older MiG-17F. Which one do you think is more "real" to the real ones?

Based on the aircraft I saw at the Egyptian Military Museum in Cairo I would go with the faded blue.

In any case, here the pics:

Plastyk MiG-17 PF

h316352d.JPG

hc5a4346.JPG

he006474.JPG

ha996ad2.JPG

Zvezda MiG-17F

h2b5b2d2.JPG

hc14986d.JPG

ha057935.JPG

h1139a77.JPG

h2aae586.JPG

hf76d78a.JPG

h2311ccc.JPG

h6b7c095.JPG

Cheers,

Alex

Not meaning to be negative , so don't take me wrong .

Have you ever considered using a cook top scrubbing pad in between paint coats ? They are very gentle .

That might help you get rid of the stuff that gets caught in your paint.

Cheers, Christian B)

Following your job!... :popcorn

Espero que o calor não esteja tão intenso por aí :vmad

Luiz.

Thanks Luiz, Bob and Christian

That is not a bad idea master, I have never used it before. Will look into that. Thanks! :salute

Cheers

Alex

I agree with Christian, the scouring pad will bring a tremendous improvement to your paint. You have been improving exceptionally well in all the times I've watched your builds Doc, keep up the excellent work!

Thanks Mark

Actually it was a REALLY GOOD IDEA! paid off nicely although in the 17 PF there was a bit too much and I lost some of the Details. Oh well.

Camouflages are on and I am still very partial to the earlier F model, it just Looks better Overall. Most importantly this Zvezda kit is really Detailed. I am very happy with the results so far.

So to the pics:

Mig-17 PF /Plastyk

hd5234cf.JPG

h4f15a60.JPG

h0395d87.JPG

h8ab45c7.JPG

h8599b1e.JPG

Mig-17 F / Zvezda

hfbe38c4.JPG

h095d983.JPG

hbbf8a69.JPG

h7688290.JPG

hf749626.JPG

Now on to decals and weathering

Cheers

Alex

I can see some difference Alex. Be careful what you use. Not steel wool but a buffing pad .

It should not remove detail .

Cheers, Christian B)

Very nice Alex,
Can't wait to see them completed.
Frank
:choppa

Thanks Christian and Frank, much appreciated.

I just ordered some very fine pads, let's see the difference in the next builds.

As of now, almost done. Decals are in. I am really enjoying the MiG-17F

Cheers

Alex

MiG-17PF Plastyk

h9017bc3.JPG

h6910c8a.JPG

he7defee.JPG

hf8e3406.JPG

h910bee6.JPG

MiG-17F Zvezda

h2b23a29.JPG

h6b4df78.JPG

hbe653ec.JPG

hc986f90.JPG

h04925a5.JPG

Wow doc that is great! The only way to make it more realistic would be to build it as burning on the tarmac!

Thanks Bob and Bruce,

Maybe in the future I can try to make a burning Diorama Bruce, that is a great idea.

So now they are both done. The Plastyk one is still a very undetailed plane and it Shows in the weathering, albeit I had re-scribed most of the lines. The Zvezda was ´pure joy up to the end and turned out one of my very favorite builds until today. I hope you also like it.

Cheers

Alex

MiG-17 PF Plastyk

h7fd4192.JPG

hb9c6c3f.JPG

h94249af.JPG

h62af1aa.JPG

he9cdfcd.JPG

h525fa4f.JPG

hde24fd0.JPG

MiG-17 F Zvezda

hfe6cac9.JPG

h8df911b.JPG

h3903b3d.JPG

h3903b3d_2019-08-20.JPG

hd10464f.JPG

hf6c91f6.JPG

h819cbc8.JPG

h96e455d.JPG

h0ebf453.JPG

h92e3e08.JPG

Wow! Exceptional work Doc! I also think the Zvezda one is a better kit. Still, you made two excellent models!

Back