• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

JU 86 E-2

phantom II

Master at Arms
For reasons I cannot really explain , a couple of kits sitting in the closet have been annoying me , so I'll just get them out of there.

This nearly prehistoric appearing German bomber is the 1934 Junker ju 86 By Testor?Italeri . Not something you are likely to see on someone's workbench .
The beauty of it is that there is no aftermarket and very few pictures to go by, so it should be easy.

h5c907f3.jpg

Cheers, C. B)

Last edited:
Neat choice Chris! ANY type of kit that is odd or otherwise obscure is always neat to me...looking forward to seeing more of this!

Interestingly , problems have already turned up .

Just having the tape on the plastic to scribe it is causing part of it to peel loose .

h3f307c0.jpg

Gonna nip this one in the bud . I recently had this issue with a special Hobby kit. Not worth the trouble . It's poainting in the direction of a trash can.

Pulled out the much older JU 86 made by Italeri . Besides the plastic , the only difference is the engines
On to better plastic.

hf25cb9b.jpg

Now to the other side :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

Never heard of this aircraft and the camo looks like SEA scheme.

:popcorn

Export to Hungary after The Luftwaffe decided they wanted some more capable aircraft at the beginning of the war.

Sea did not have the chocolate brown though.

Some were also modified to the JU 86 R for high altitude recon over the UK . Pressurized cabin and Diesel engines....Not a thing of beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT2b1m5YVwE

Cheers, C. B)

Diesel Engine airplanes?

Guessing you're not well read in aviation history .

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/junkers-jumo-207-d-v2-line-6-diesel-engine

Even some Zeppelins were powered by Maybach V-12 diesels back in 1909

Cheers, Christian B)

Definitely not where I thought I would be by now . Still bit by bit I keep whittling ever closer on this dinosaur .

h154c560.jpg

The rudders were pretty rough but they were eventually scribbed , sanded and eventually I replaced the trim tabs since they were so mismatched .

Everything else Is pretty much ready for assembly . The wing halves have been glued together , the engine nacelles mouted and now the engine work is in progress.

h3f61763.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

The updates are being worked since I have found a few useful pictures.

hdf9e61f.jpg

Added the stabilizer fairings which were totally overlooked in the kit . I see it need a bit more scribing > And yes, the elevators are that ugly corrugated metal .

Next picture is very busy .
Added some plug to the rear of engines to keep the props from shafts from being such a sloppy fit .

h985b199.jpg

Also added .120 " shims to the engine fairings so that the engines can attach there instead of the cowls .
I also added to the wing fairings since they go all the way to the trailing edges of the wing.

Now to the engine detail :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

Back