• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Thinning Vallejo Air Paint for the airbrush

iambrb

As I starting a new job, I cannot go to AMPS, even though it is my state! :(

Goig to console myself by working on the merkava, am intending to try Vallejo Air paint tomorrow. Anyone use this, and what is your advice for thinning? Thanks!

As I said before, I use Windex and some Liquitex retarder (just a bit) but lately I avoid the Vallejos in favor of the Tamiyas.

Valejo Air is pre thinned for the air brush so should not need thinning. If you do want to thin I recommend the Vallejo airbrush thinner. Do not use water as it gums everything up.
James

Don't use alcohol or Tamiya thinner, they will turn the paint into a gooey blob in your airbrush.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks dudes!

I have some of the liquitex retarder, and I have windex, so GTG I think. I bought it thinking htat was all that was needed, then found out there was more to the pie. Likely won't go this route again, but no sense not using what I already have

If you have Polyscale or Model Master Acrylic airbrush thinners those will work with Vallejo too.

Thanks dudes!

I have some of the liquitex retarder, and I have windex, so GTG I think. I bought it thinking htat was all that was needed, then found out there was more to the pie. Likely won't go this route again, but no sense not using what I already have

Remember, just barely a drop of the retarder, only reason I use it is to keep the AB tip from clogging up so often.

When I spray Vallejo it is as a weathering so it is super thinned out and I use plain old water. As I said though it is for weathering and super thinned out.

I also tend to prefer thinning with thinners made for the paint.

I been using Vallejo only for the past bunch of years and the best thing I did was go on eBay and grab a bunch of empty 5-17ml bottles. You can get the exact same ones as the paint comes in and smaller for like 50 for $5 shipped, caps, tips and all.

With a 500ml bottle of their AB thinner, I put equal amounts of thinner and the color in a bottle, cap and shake.

While I have a lot of the Air line, I prefer the MC line and make my own.

Using the iModel app, I can mix any RAL, RLM or Fed Standard color, or match to any paint company too. It gives you a formula, you can go by weight or drops, add thinner and Bob's your uncle. ;)

The only problem is when I forget to label it...

Yep, the Model Color line is much more bang for the buck when you want to mix your own.

We had a real nice sit down with Rob (ScratchMod) Ferreira today talking about washes and just stuff. Nice to see old friends and really proud of his success, it's well deserved.

I found a Youtube vid that essentially backs up everything you guys have already said. I got "Skeered" (if yer skeered, say yer skeered) so I worked on that little 1/100 Apache

Plan is to run with to tomorrow, and see

I found a Youtube vid that essentially backs up everything you guys have already said. I got "Skeered" (if yer skeered, say yer skeered) so I worked on that little 1/100 Apache

Plan is to run with to tomorrow, and see

The advice on thinning Model color was Vallejo thinner medium although I have thinned them with water.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back