• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dullcote sealer?

iambrb

Hey in be-tweenst washes, pin washes and then of course at the end, whaddaya y'all use to dull coat?

I have a very nice acrylic wash on my Merkava, so before I go farther, I wanted to use something seal that, should I use Dull caote or another layer of Future? Wouldn't future be too shiny between coats? What about at the very end?

I use Model Master Acrylic dullcoat. Best one I have found since Pollyscale is unobtainable here.
James

The Testors (?) lacquer clear coat. Also been using their gloss lately. I generally use those as the last one top coat.

I just used Vallejo for the first time and loved it. Worked great in the airbrush and also using it by brush. I have used Testors for the last twenty years. Worked great. I would reduce it by 50 to 75 percent and put on a number wet coats. Just make sure you let it cure. I would let the model sit for a couple of months before doing anything else with kit.

Okay, let's review:

1. Acrylic-based clearcoats block both oil-based overcoats and other acrylics,

2. Oil-based clearcoats block only acrylic overcoats.

Furthermore:

A: Gloss under washes

B: Matt under filters and drybrushing. There are exceptions- watch the various helpful videos luminaries like Adam Wilder, Paul Budzik, Mig Jimenez, Spencer Pollard et al are so kind to produce and illuminate for the rest of we toilers in the styrene vineyards.

Model on! :soldier :pilot :drunk

I like WE TOILERS IN THE STYRENE VINEYARDS I think we need a farmer emoji

Good info Sir!

Okay, let's review:

1. Acrylic-based clearcoats block both oil-based overcoats and other acrylics,

2. Oil-based clearcoats block only acrylic overcoats.

Furthermore:

A: Gloss under washes

B: Matt under filters and drybrushing. There are exceptions- watch the various helpful videos luminaries like Adam Wilder, Paul Budzik, Mig Jimenez, Spencer Pollard et al are so kind to produce and illuminate for the rest of we toilers in the styrene vineyards.

Model on! :soldier :pilot :drunk

Dullcote is a lacquer, dries really fast and very flat. I use it as a final coat if I need to tone down shiny spots from glue (like after adding pioneer tools or cables), you can even brush paint it in small areas. I especially like the Vallejo Matte Varnish for overall use, being an acrylic, it stands up to various weathering thinners and isn't stinky like the lacquer. Although, there is something about the smell of lacquer thinner...

Dullcote is a lacquer, dries really fast and very flat. I use it as a final coat if I need to tone down shiny spots from glue (like after adding pioneer tools or cables), you can even brush paint it in small areas. I especially like the Vallejo Matte Varnish for overall use, being an acrylic, it stands up to various weathering thinners and isn't stinky like the lacquer. Although, there is something about the smell of lacquer thinner...

Do you have to thin the Vallejo with the retarder and all that?

I've used Model Master Acrylic thinner and AK Interactive's acrylic thinner on the Vallejo, just a few drops is enough to thin the clear to airbrush. You need to get it thin enough to spray without orange peel, shoot mist coats to cover. B)

Back