• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Al Clad question - NMF

iambrb

So I am slowly getting the bug to try Alclad on an NMF finish, maybe on an F-86 or P-51 or the like. I know that when y'all have talked about this before, and that you may use two dirrerent shades for some panel contrast, right? if so, which-'uns are y'all using??

This:

http://alclad2.com/finishes/high-shine/

or this?

http://alclad2.com/finishes/regular/

Well, that is a pretty open ended question. I personally like to use the lower shine Alclad colors, and have had good luck with them. For my P-47 I used the standard Aluminum over all and then used White Aluminum (control surfaces) and Dark Aluminum (gun doors) for some contrasting panels. The gun door panels are really the only thing on the P-47 that should be different shades.

Pic9_5.jpg

Some people use the Airframe Aluminum for the skin of airplanes and get good results, but when I tried, it just didn't look right. Oh yeah - and be careful with your primer coats. The high shine needs to go over a gloss black primer coat. (The label tells you what color primer is necessary to achieve the results). I tend to use Tamiya Gloss Black from the rattle can because I have had problems with the Alclad Gloss black primer not curing. Their Gray and White primers seem to work fine. Also use Tamiya's Gray surface primer with good success.

I ended up just buying a bunch of the different colors and experimenting to find something I liked.

HTH!
Mike

High shine you need a flawless base, like auto model show room finish. The regular not so much. Still needs to be smooth and flawless. I like the Aircraft Aluminum finish more than any of them now. I did the P47 in Chrome and them weathered it down, got the look I was after but it was a lot of work to get it there.

My last day is today if you want to come over some this weekend.

Well, that is a pretty open ended question. I personally like to use the lower shine Alclad colors, and have had good luck with them. For my P-47 I used the standard Aluminum over all and then used White Aluminum (control surfaces) and Dark Aluminum (gun doors) for some contrasting panels. The gun door panels are really the only thing on the P-47 that should be different shades.

Pic9_5.jpg

Some people use the Airframe Aluminum for the skin of airplanes and get good results, but when I tried, it just didn't look right. Oh yeah - and be careful with your primer coats. The high shine needs to go over a gloss black primer coat. (The label tells you what color primer is necessary to achieve the results). I tend to use Tamiya Gloss Black from the rattle can because I have had problems with the Alclad Gloss black primer not curing. Their Gray and White primers seem to work fine. Also use Tamiya's Gray surface primer with good success.

I ended up just buying a bunch of the different colors and experimenting to find something I liked.

HTH!
Mike

Airframe Aluminum is what I meant to say. Great looking finish Mike :dude

Back