• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Micro set

Robertp

Before I try Micro set I would like to get some feed back. According to what I have read, you can add Micro set to continue working with the decal should it begin to set up. Is this true? How much working time do I have? I need something to really stick the decals on. Are there other products worth trying? Thanks in advance.

Micro-Set is a wetting agent for decals to help them stick down to the surface. It shoud be used with Micro-Sol which will soften a decal allowing it to flex, stretch, and conform to the surface like a coat of paint.

I personally like Waldron's SolvaSet which does both and is a bit stronger solvent for making the decals conform to the surface and it also has a bit of a wetting/bonding agent to help the placed decal stay put.

There are as many opinions on how to place decals as there are people stating them. You will need to experiment with the various products to see just what and how the various ways work best for you.

I rarely use "set", but use "sol" to get the decal to conform to surfaces. I've used the Micro brands and like them, as well as, Mr Mark Softer and SolvaSet with no real preference for any of them, they all work. B)

Thanks all. I am mainly looking for something to really glue the decal on. The last two models I could pull the decals off with Tamiya tape. This is after a flat coat over the decal/gloss coat.

Thanks all. I am mainly looking for something to really glue the decal on. The last two models I could pull the decals off with Tamiya tape. This is after a flat coat over the decal/gloss coat.

The gloss coat should be before the decals and another after the decals.

Not much wants to stay on a dull coat.

Cheers,

I have used Solvaset to put decals on over flat enamel paints with no silvering and no problems. I wouldn't try that over an acrylic paint as I have seen Solvaset attack the acrylic paints. With acrylic paints the protective clear coat is a must.

Seems I read someplace where someone used a drop or two of white glue in the wetting agent to help the decals adhere. Don't know if that would be a valid idea or not.

I will try gloss coat, decals, gloss coat, final flat coat and post my results. My present method is gloss coat, decals and flat coat.

I've been doing the gloss coat, decals with microset/sol followed by gloss, panel wash and finally flat coat. I give the Microsol two coats to do its magic, if it doesn't seem to be working I bust out the Solvaset, which is much stronger. Usually does the trick. Another thing to do to avoid silvering is to lightly sand your primer and base coats between layers to help smooth everything out.

HTH

Back