• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Matte clear coat blues.

The Zod

So then............. I am looking for a good clear matte coat. I do not believe that Vallejo will work for me. I have tried the following thinning ratios.

Two drops matte to one drop thinner.

One drop of matte to one drop of thinner.

Neither works out. It just will not kill the gloss. I am not spraying it on heavy. I am wondering if by spraying outside as the weather is getting more hot and humid if that is the reason why it still has a bit of shine.

Then there is the Tsetors Dullcoat or Alclad matte clear coats. Those are lacquer based if I am not mistaken. From what I have read,you can spray that stuff over acrylic, if you wait a couple days in between the coats.

My issue with lacquer based stuff is, I still use the vinyl/rubber/whatever they are tracks that come with the kits from time to time. It is my understanding that lacquer or enamel based paints will eat through those types of tracks over time, and cause them to break apart.

Sometimes, I am really tempted to give up on modeling. :bang head

So don't spray any on the tracks? You can use paper as a mask, slip it between the fender and the tracks and spray away. Tamiya makes a flat base that you can add to their clear, resulting in different sheens, but care must be taken to make sure they are mixed well and know that humidity can cause paints to "blush" or dry with whitish patches in the paint where thinner gets trapped under heavy layers. Light coats are key.

I like the Alclad Aqua clears, They are acrylic and are marketed as a replacement for Future.

Also like Mike said, Tamiya has a flat base that can be added to their clears, I use to add it to Future.

Dont' give up, just let it flow.

Mike and Bob.
Thanks for the answers.
On that Aqua gloss as a replacement for Future. Does that mean you can add Tamiya flat base to it, the way you could add it to Future?

I would TEST how the different brands mix before going with it working.

As to the Testors flat, it is an enamel. I use it all the time and use the Testors enamel thinner to thin it. The Alclad is probably a lacquer though I have not used any of their clear coats.

As to the rubber tracks deteriorating over time, I don't think paint should have much effect on that. Rubber tracks all will break down over time. As to clear coats, if you spray the flat coat kind of dry, the base colors under it should protect the rubber from the carrier.

I would be confident with spraying the Testors flat clear with the enamel thinner over about anything that has had a couple of days curing time.

As to rubber and soft vinyl, I pretty much dislike those materials because they can and do break down over time and can become quite brittle. In doing watch repair I have found o-ring seals turn to black tarry goo and I have seen them become super hard and brittle almost like bakelite. :bang head

Have the T-28 monster tank put out by Dragon and it has those horrible yellow rubber tracks.
duh.gif

10-4 0n the testing Paul.

I felt the Tamiya gluable tracks on a Cromwell ARV I built over ten years ago. They have not broken down, or stiffened up yet. I do remember using acrylics on them.

I have also done some more research. Some modelers are saying Windsor and Newton make a great acrylic flat coat.

Back