• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Car guys, some tips please!

ausf

Master at Arms
Just got the Revell Ford, first of what will be many questions is: Should I paint the body first?

I'm not a car guy but...I suspect you paint the body first. otherwise you got a lot of masking to do.

That's what I thought, just like the real thing.

Maybe I'll go to Home Depot, get the color mixed, when he opens it to show me, I'll dip the car body in it and walk away dripping. :D

When I was working service calls I had one at the BMW plant in Greer SC. That's literally what PPG Paint group was doing with the BMW Z3 bodies. Huge vat of paint and they would just dip them and let them drip off and into the oven to bake. I wouldn't suggest the baking part. :rotf

OK, I do like to paint the body first, I have a bunch of detailed engines, chassis and interiors built that the body paint went to hell on and I didn't finish the build :facepalm I do a lot of test fitting of things like glass, hood and the like to make sure everything fits and the gaps look good prior to paint. It's so much less frustrating to fit it first than to have to try to tweak a finished paint job. Just a suggestion...
:drinks

Yeah, I'm trying to decide how I want the paint to go south on me. Shoddy mess working around post assembly or scratched with glue goobers after assembly.

This is why I shy away from cars. I'm a 'fill in all the yips with weather' type of modeler.

I guess since this isn't show room, but will be a dio, I can dirty it up.

Good advice Mike, I'll dry fit everything then plan it out.

The kit has great decals for the air cleaner, etc, so my natural instinct is go nuts on detailing the engine compartment (I used to restore 60s Impalas and spent many many hours just sitting in great expanse of a small block under the hood), but, it's really never going to be opened so I may pass for time consideration. I just got the kit, I have to see if the engine is necessary for exhaust positioning, etc.

Back