• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

computer help please

Paulw

I bought myself a refurbished desk top for Christmas which is much faster than my laptop but there is one problem that I have with it. It has an older Q-45/43 express chip set for a graphics card. This doesn't support any CAD software and since I don't play any games (boring life) I don't require any high dollar super fast video card.

I was hoping that there may be some one here that has a good knowledge of computer graphics. I have a Dell Optiplex 780 SSF. I need to do an upgrade so if any one out there has good advice on what card to replace it with I sure could use the help.

First off, oh hell it's Dell...

Paul I wish I could help you, I'm so out of the loop on that stuff it's not funny. The PCs I buy now all have integrated video cards so no upgrade options.

Is it SSF or SFF? SFF is generally Small Form Factor.

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex_780_tech_guidebook_en.pdf

Check out the techy guide from Dell. Looks like your computer would only support a low profile video card added on. They have on there NVIDIA Quadro NVS 420. I did a google search out there and it would appear they are all over the place on ebay.

:geek

you know I meant SFF. I have had a hard life with the alphabet so give me a break here...
I want to know also if I go for the updated card would there be any software glitches?

you know I meant SFF. I have had a hard life with the alphabet so give me a break here...
I want to know also if I go for the updated card would there be any software glitches?

Yes. Just accept that and roll with it.

Make sure you got the latest and greatest drivers for the card before installing it. Should have it on your computer. That should solve those glitches but what do I know, I'm a network guy. :beer :geek

Back