• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IDF or Merkava question

jknaus

Administrator
I read somewhere that the Merkava Mk1 early did not have anti skid coating nor the ball rpg chains. I assume these were added retroactively with the Mk 1Hybrid. I have the Desert Eagle Publishing book on the Mk1 but it does not have pictures of this. Most pics are more modern. Anyone know for sure? I thought to make my Mk1 an early one but I'm not finding the refs to prove it.
Thanks in advance.
James

From what I've read, the ball & chain curtain began to appear during the 1982 Lebanon War. The anti-skid first appeared on the Mk. II when it entered service in 1983. It was applied to the Mk. I's as they went through maintenance after that.

Cheers,
Rich

Golan Heights, 1980
IS%2B1.jpg

IS%2B2.jpg

IS%2B3.jpg

IS%2B5.jpg

Does this help? Do you need more?

Regards,

Thanks Rich and Saul. That helps. Those pictures are very helpful Saul. Now I know I do not have to worry about side skirts either. Many thanks.
James

Looking at the pictures there are a pile of things I have to make note of.

No spare tracks tacked on the turret.
No stretcher on back left door.
No skirts.
It doesn't look like the 60mm mortar is attached in these pics. Hard to tell though.

Saul, do you have any other pics of the right side of the tank? Thanks in advance and thanks for these great shots.
I have the new Master Club tracks coming and Bitz Kreig early idler and corrected drive sprocket. I think they are made for another kit. Looking at the Takom one and the Bitz Kreig parts they look better than the kit parts.

h5e0150e.jpg

hf544d02.jpg

h45ae3bd.jpg

h006e32a.jpg

those were retro active refit items that were added during maintance cycles
Thats what I figured. Lessons learned led to the Mk1 Hybrid and then the Mk1 was retrofitted. But there are very few pics online. Sauls pics proved what I wanted to know for sure.
James

I have always wondered how often the 60 mm mortar was actually used. Neat info u are gathering. I built the Tamiya Mermava I a few years back & now when I look at I see ALL the flaws

Back