• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

mask glue removal

Robertp

I have glue left from mask. The best I have come up with is Bestine (a solvent/thinner). This does loosen it, but just pushes it around. I have tried tooth pick, q-tip, etc. I just can't get the residue to stick to anything to remove it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve had good luck getting tape loose with super glue accelerator, oddly enough. Not debonder but accelerator, the stuff that’s supposed to set superglue immediately.

Goo Gone, if it is available where you are located usually does a good job, wet a Q-tip with it.

Yeah, that stuff seems to be a real pain. I notice that if you either leave the masks on too long or after you have them placed then move the ,mask on the part then it loves to leave residue behind. I usually use the Vallejo air brush cleaner or some naphtha (lighter fluid) and it comes off easier than any other means. buff it out with a micro weave cloth and as Emril usually says,"Bam!"

Have you tried using a bit of whatever masking material and dabbing at the glue? It should pick it up. Blue Tak should also work. Masking tape with a bit higher tack will pick up some residue also but you might pick up some paint at the same time.
James

Thanks everyone for your advice. With your advice, I will give it another go. The canopy is from a bf 110. I am trying not to remove any paint.

Goo Gone, if it is available where you are located usually does a good job, wet a Q-tip with it.

Yup - exactly my suggestion. On canopies I remove the mast, clean with goo gone and then brush on a thin coat of future to get the clarity back. Work perfectly.

Back