• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bob's Buckles

Paulw

Well I have the Albatros D. V and I would like to get enough eyelets and tubes to do the job with enough to cover the odd space shot. Other than his site where can I get these sets?

You can only get them from his site. But you could make your own if so desired. Fine nichrome wire is perfect for making the eyelets and they are easy to make. Albion tubing is great for making the tubes and easy to cut.
https://temcoindustrial.com/temco-rw0296-nichrome-60-wire-100-ft.html
To make the eyelets first make a twisting tool. Take a short piece of dowel and drill a hole in the center. Take a small paper clip and straighten it. Then bend a hook into it. Glue it into the dowel. Take a piece of nichrome wire and bend in half. Insert the hook into the bend and hold the two ends with pliers or tweezers. Twist the dowel. You could make a hundred while watching a tv show. I make my own now that I know how.
James

Thanks, James. I just ordered then off eBay. By the way, what are the length of the Turn buckle after it is cut?

Thanks, James. I just ordered then off eBay. By the way, what are the length of the Turn buckle after it is cut?

Hi Paul. Bob makes a good little tutorial here http://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/how-.html
I don't know what I was thinking when I answered you as there is another alternative. Gaspatch makes some nice turnbuckles and mounts. I have found the 1/48 scale sets look better size wise on a 1/32 kit than the 1/32 ones do.
TB_series__23368.1362233314.jpg

I use the type A, C, and anchor points. I have seen only 1 person use the Albatros type and he made his own PE mount points like the original that fit the ball end. Some people don't like these because they seem a bit rough but that's to be expected from grown metal and after a bit of paint unnoticeable. I hope that helps some.
Warning if you get the guns, they are beautiful, but are exact replicas and you need to do a bit of work to make them fit.
Second warning, I hope you warmed the top wing and then held it under weight to remove the slight warp. I went through 3 wings before I through the kit away and then learned of the problem.
James

I guess I dont know what the problem is there, James. However I do plane to start with the D.VII first then the Albatros next. So the top wing on the Albatros is warped?

People call is the banana wing. I broke the center cabanes 3 times trying to get it together. The last Albatros I did I heated the wing with hot water and placed on the glass stove top and put weights on the flatten it. I hope that will work. Actually I need to finish it. Should pull it out and see where I stand.
The Fokker D.VII is really nice and one of the best kits they made in my opinion. I highly suggest rigging the landing gear. I have one at work rigged and one unrigged and the unrigged one is starting to bow a bit.

The Albatros planes had no dihedral on the top wing. I had to do the hot water thing on my little Eduard kit when I built it as well. I believe the bottom wings were also flat with no dihedral.

Now you see why I made the jigs I have.

Back