• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Show worthy #2 ????

iambrb

So besides needing some streaks and a chip or two (maybe a boarding ladder & some ordnance flags?) whaddaya y’all see as flaws???

h3e8d175.jpeg

h12fa4c6.jpeg

h4115fc7.jpeg

h908cbca.jpeg

hcbccb23.jpeg

h192535d.jpeg

hf4a4998.jpeg

I'm not quite clear on what you are asking.

Do you want opinions on whether you should take this to a model show/competition, or are you asking for us to look for flaws and a harsh criticism?

If it's the show, bring it, why not?

If it's criticism, beware of that, problems can be found on every model and if something is pointed out you'll never be able to unsee it. While that is best in terms of learning or getting better, people are usually hesitant to be too critical so as not to insult anyone.

Say did a wash for the first time and am pretty proud of how it came out, some flaw might be evident, I'd want to know I think, but at the same time, it might dampen my enthusiasm or make me overly concentrate on it. Or maybe I saw it myself and if I answer that way, I might come off as defensive and the poster might fell like they insulted me.

Best advice I can give is take a lot of close up photos of your models under bright lighting, then look at them intently as you would a photo of some master work. You'll start to see surface blemishes, areas where the masking wasn't crisp, maybe some orange peel, a bad seam, etc. It's important to get another view since your brain gets used to seeing something so often, it glosses over stuff. With sculpting, it's important to use a mirror, nothing shows flaws faster than holding something up to a mirror because it's not what you've been staring at for hours.

Good answer Jeff.

Bruce, short answer is yes. Take it... (y)

I'm going to take the DeHavillen and maybe some other things.

That's very good advice. Here's more.
https://modelersalliance.org/forum/modeling-for-competition/150703-modeling-for-competition

Thanks guys! Jeff that is valid & very balanced advice, & very well said.

Bob I am likely as not to take it, I do not many 1/72 planes & this is about the best, though there are just the few tiniest of things I want to do with it

Mike, thanks for the links. I am looking for the experience, hoping this will at least be competitive. I am going to take time to study the link. Although it is enticing to think of winning, my personal reason is to challenge myself to improve. Otherwise what skills I have will stagnate

The one big thing that I have learned is not to build for a contest. That never worked out for me. Just bring what you built from the past year.

The one big thing that I have learned is not to build for a contest. That never worked out for me. Just bring what you built from the past year.

I will second what Paulw said. Just build what you like and try to build it to whatever level you feel like building it to. I tend to get bored and burned out with builds after a number of months or when I hit the "lost interest" wall.

Years ago I built several kits "for contest" and was quite disappointed. Those that I built for the fun of it and as a personal challenge always did excellently. Anymore if I take something to contest it is just to show it, if something comes about and an award comes my way, cool! If not, no biggie. I don't like trophies (they take up model display space and collect dust) My favorite awards were some from a contest where they gave out plaques. They are still on my wall today, the trophies are long gone.

The fun builds that won are still around those that were for "contest" ended up as spare parts or worse.

Back