• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bending Tubing Help

Skinny_Mike

Hi guys - I need some advice.

I am looking to enhance the exhaust pipe on my Panzer II build by replacing the lump of plastic with some sort of metal (brass/copper/aluminum) tube. Pretty straight forward, but I need to bend the tube 90 degrees in a fairly small area. The tube diameter is 2mm.

Has anyone had success doing something like this? I have tried a couple of times and just end up with a crimped up mess. Tools suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Mike

Couple of methods come to mind. 2MM should be ok to bend but you're going to have to anneal it and bend it slowly so not to crack it. Then you risk it crimping as well. All I can say is practice practice with this.

Another thing is to cut wedge out of it at the point you want to bend, not half way, anneal and then try bending it, should clean up pretty well.

Post up your attempts :popcorn

If you have a piece of soft wire that fits inside the tube you're trying to bend, it will stop the kink. Or if you aren't bending a tight bend, you can drive some nails in a board and bend your tube around them. I have this El Cheapo bending jig, but nails in a board work too.
IMG_7595.JPG

B)

If you have a piece of soft wire that fits inside the tube you're trying to bend, it will stop the kink. Or if you aren't bending a tight bend, you can drive some nails in a board and bend your tube around them. I have this El Cheapo bending jig, but nails in a board work too.
IMG_7595.JPG

B)

I saw that jig at micromark when I was looking into this last night. Does it work well? Would you recommend it?

This might help too, scroll to image #55.

https://modelersalliance.org/forum/revell-monogram/153304-revell-29-ford-roadster-85-4322-done?start=48

That's done using the spring bender.

All good ideas. Here is mine. Use a solid 2mm diameter solder, then drill out the end. No reason the tube has to be hollow all the way down...

This might help too, scroll to image #55.

https://modelersalliance.org/forum/revell-monogram/153304-revell-29-ford-roadster-85-4322-done?start=48

That's done using the spring bender.

PERFECT! Exactly what I am looking to do. And the bonus - I have the spring bending kit from Hobby Lobby!
Thanks for the reminder!

All good ideas. Here is mine. Use a solid 2mm diameter solder, then drill out the end. No reason the tube has to be hollow all the way down...

That is a the back up plan, I just never have success getting the drill centered. Need to practice that as well!

I gave up drilling center. I generally start smaller and rout out instead of trying to drill dead on center one time.

It may have been said already, but if you are using copper tubing be sure to anneal it before bending.

Moon Puppy has it right, when drilling out the holes on exhaust pipes drill a starter hole smaller than needed and then open it up a bit at a time. I always do this and it works the best.

Dental burrs work well though I have 2 sets of jewelers burrs. One set of round burrs and one set of stone setting burrs. The round ones go from super tiny to about 1/8th inch. The stone set burrs star at about 1mm and go to 8 or 9mm. They are quite handy for getting holes nicely rounded once you have the size you want.

Back