• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Looking for putty

Robertp

I am looking for a good acrylic putty. I have tried squadron, modeling paste and always come back to Tamiya. Tamiya is not bad but it dries to quick and using nail polish remover also removes the tape I put on both sides of the seam. I see that some people use automotive putty. Thanks in advance.

I haven't tried this yet, but I am supposed to have some coming.

https://www.migjimenez.com/black-hole/lv426/QuickTip-AMIG2039.pdf

Tamiya is solvent based, which is why it dries quickly.

Apoxie also makes a two part putty ( Not Sculp ) which I have not tried yet .

You can get the consistency you want with a bit of water . Waiting to see how the MIG performs.

Cheers, Christian B)

If you are looking for acrylic putty my fav is Valejo. I put on and wipe the seam with a damp paper towel and let dry. Does not sand same as regular putty but works great for filling small seems etc.
This video is German but gives the idea. The valejo putty I get comes in the eye dropper bottles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrwvBgle2Dc
Hope that helps.
PS you can "sand" the dry putty with a damp paper towel and elbow grease.
James

I have been using Perfect Plastic Putty from Deluxe materials for a while now. Its hands down the best putty I have used, and it doesn't seem to shrink as it dries like a lot of other puttys.

Perfect Plastic Putty

Vallejo's is very good as well, and I really like the precision applicator on the tube.

HTH
Mike

Thanks all. I ordered vallejo and perfect. I will post my impressions because if I can use it anybody can. I am working on a trimaster pzkpfw I for dak with doc. I thought trimaster were fairly good fitting kits.

If you are looking for acrylic putty my fav is Valejo. I put on and wipe the seam with a damp paper towel and let dry. Does not sand same as regular putty but works great for filling small seems etc.
This video is German but gives the idea. The valejo putty I get comes in the eye dropper bottles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrwvBgle2Dc
Hope that helps.
PS you can "sand" the dry putty with a damp paper towel and elbow grease.
James

That applicator on the tube of putty looks like a good idea . :good:

Strange how you get more putty in the tube for less money than what it cost in the bottle :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks all. I ordered vallejo and perfect. I will post my impressions because if I can use it anybody can. I am working on a trimaster pzkpfw I for dak with doc. I thought trimaster were fairly good fitting kits.
I had both and pretty much the same. I think you will like it. Its really nice to put some on a seeam and then wipe of so no sanding later with subsequent detail loss.

Well I received both and have tried both. I think the perfect plastic putty is a little easier to sculpt into seams, but it is marginal. If my only choice was Vallejo I would not complain. They are both good and do what they say they will do.

Well I received both and have tried both. I think the perfect plastic putty is a little easier to sculpt into seams, but it is marginal. If my only choice was Vallejo I would not complain. They are both good and do what they say they will do.

Hey Robert , to me one of the most important feature would be to paint over it and after it sits for a period of time , look and see if there is any shrinkage .

That would be good to know . :)

Cheers, Christian B)

I got the seams painted and saw no shrinkage. The two gaps were very small. One of the putties required several passes to paint. I did not write down which putty went with which gap. I will do a more structured review. It is going to be a while as I am working on a Tamiya kit now. I got a Dragon kit that is next in line.

Back