Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Looking for putty

Looking for putty 08 Aug 2019 12:35 #1

I am looking for a good acrylic putty. I have tried squadron, modeling paste and always come back to Tamiya. Tamiya is not bad but it dries to quick and using nail polish remover also removes the tape I put on both sides of the seam. I see that some people use automotive putty. Thanks in advance.
  • Robertp
  • Robertp
  • OFFLINE
  • Squad Leader
    Squad Leader
  • Posts: 75
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Looking for putty 08 Aug 2019 13:07 #2

I haven't tried this yet, but I am supposed to have some coming.

www.migjimenez.com/black-hole/lv426/QuickTip-AMIG2039.pdf

Tamiya is solvent based, which is why it dries quickly.
  • Iron Mike
  • Iron Mike
  • OFFLINE
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
  • Posts: 13038
I dream of a world where a chicken can cross the road without having its motives questioned.

What we do in life will echo in eternity.

IPMS Plastic Surgeon (satellite member)

AMPS member

Resident Curmudgeon

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Looking for putty 08 Aug 2019 13:20 #3

Apoxie also makes a two part putty ( Not Sculp ) which I have not tried yet .

You can get the consistency you want with a bit of water . Waiting to see how the MIG performs.

Cheers, Christian B)

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Looking for putty 08 Aug 2019 14:02 #4

If you are looking for acrylic putty my fav is Valejo. I put on and wipe the seam with a damp paper towel and let dry. Does not sand same as regular putty but works great for filling small seems etc.
This video is German but gives the idea. The valejo putty I get comes in the eye dropper bottles.

Hope that helps.
PS you can "sand" the dry putty with a damp paper towel and elbow grease.
James
  • jknaus
  • jknaus
  • OFFLINE
  • Air Marshall
    Air Marshall
  • Posts: 18662

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Looking for putty 08 Aug 2019 16:36 #5

I have been using Perfect Plastic Putty from Deluxe materials for a while now. Its hands down the best putty I have used, and it doesn't seem to shrink as it dries like a lot of other puttys.

Perfect Plastic Putty

Vallejo's is very good as well, and I really like the precision applicator on the tube.

HTH
Mike
Last Edit: 08 Aug 2019 16:38 by Skinny_Mike.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Looking for putty 08 Aug 2019 17:36 #6

Thanks all. I ordered vallejo and perfect. I will post my impressions because if I can use it anybody can. I am working on a trimaster pzkpfw I for dak with doc. I thought trimaster were fairly good fitting kits.
  • Robertp
  • Robertp
  • OFFLINE
  • Squad Leader
    Squad Leader
  • Posts: 75
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Looking for putty 08 Aug 2019 17:51 #7

jknaus wrote:
If you are looking for acrylic putty my fav is Valejo. I put on and wipe the seam with a damp paper towel and let dry. Does not sand same as regular putty but works great for filling small seems etc.
This video is German but gives the idea. The valejo putty I get comes in the eye dropper bottles.

Hope that helps.
PS you can "sand" the dry putty with a damp paper towel and elbow grease.
James


That applicator on the tube of putty looks like a good idea . :good

Strange how you get more putty in the tube for less money than what it cost in the bottle :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Looking for putty 08 Aug 2019 21:39 #8

Robertp wrote:
Thanks all. I ordered vallejo and perfect. I will post my impressions because if I can use it anybody can. I am working on a trimaster pzkpfw I for dak with doc. I thought trimaster were fairly good fitting kits.
I had both and pretty much the same. I think you will like it. Its really nice to put some on a seeam and then wipe of so no sanding later with subsequent detail loss.
  • jknaus
  • jknaus
  • OFFLINE
  • Air Marshall
    Air Marshall
  • Posts: 18662

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Looking for putty 13 Aug 2019 19:34 #9

Well I received both and have tried both. I think the perfect plastic putty is a little easier to sculpt into seams, but it is marginal. If my only choice was Vallejo I would not complain. They are both good and do what they say they will do.
  • Robertp
  • Robertp
  • OFFLINE
  • Squad Leader
    Squad Leader
  • Posts: 75
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Looking for putty 13 Aug 2019 22:11 #10

Robertp wrote:
Well I received both and have tried both. I think the perfect plastic putty is a little easier to sculpt into seams, but it is marginal. If my only choice was Vallejo I would not complain. They are both good and do what they say they will do.


Hey Robert , to me one of the most important feature would be to paint over it and after it sits for a period of time , look and see if there is any shrinkage .

That would be good to know . :)

Cheers, Christian B)

Last Edit: 13 Aug 2019 22:14 by phantom II.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds