• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

NEED HELP - trying to make custom decal

Skinny_Mike

Ok folks - I need some help! Has anyone had good luck making custom decals with either an inkjet or laser jet printer? I am trying for the first time and am not having any luck.

Here is the scenario. I am making a 2”x3” block of text. All black block text. Nothing too dramatic. I am using the decal paper available from MicroMark. And following the directions.

When using the inkjet printer, the entire decal shredded when it hit the water. Figured this was just a ink jet issue. So I tried a laser jet created decal today. It soaked in the water for about 30 seconds and then the letters all started to move around relative to each other on the clear backing. They stayed whole, but floated off of the decal.

Not having a lot of success. Has anyone had better luck and have any tips or tricks to share?

Thanks
Mike

Did you seal the decals? Are you using the Laser paper for the laser printer? The paper is different. Also have to trim the decals from the paper/carrier as close as you can.

Did you seal the decals? Are you using the Laser paper for the laser printer? The paper is different. Also have to trim the decals from the paper/carrier as close as you can.

This.

Most important is you have to clear coat the decal after you print, or it’s a no go.

As the others stated a clear coat is necessary, lightcoats, don't flood the surface ! The last decal paper I got from MicroMark said it would work in both inkjet and laser printers. I have only used it in a laser printer as I was never happy with the color density I could get with an inkjet. With the laser I find I get the best color density if I use the setting for making color transparencies (like for overhead projectors) Hope this helps !

I've done both. I used Testers rattle can decal sealant and so far no issues. I made decals for a friends Lancaster and my buddies Granddaughters van. So as the other fellas have said, print with the proper paper (inkjet or laser) and seal and then give it a few days before use. Cut close to the markings.
James

I've been making decals for a long time, using a laser printer and an ALPS printer. I use decal paper made by Tom Prestia who calls his business Tangopapa.com https://www.tangopapadecals.com/paper.htm Tom works full time as an air traffic controller so he can be slow to communicate but it's worth the wait.

He has blue backed paper which I like as it is easier to see the white printed areas.

I use decal film to overcoat the printed areas, Microscale sells it. You can apply it with a brush or with an airbrush. I put it on with a brush pretty thick and it dries to a very thin layer. I've used the Testors spray but I like the decal film better.

For just black the laser printer is best, but not all laser printers are the same. The original type uses higher heat to fuse the print and this type will melt the carrier film on decal paper and damage the printer as well as make unuseable decals. Newer laser printers use LED technology and these are lower heat and work very well with TangoPapa paper.

If MicroMark says their paper will work with both inkjet or laser printers then I would be very suspicious. Inkjets can make decals but never as good as a laser printer or an ALPS. I would never use inkjet decal paper in an ALPS or a laser printer.

Thanks for all the good advice! I think my most recent problem was two fold. I didn't put a spray coating over the decals (for some reason I didn't think you had too with the laser printed ones) and I didn't wait a few days.

I will try again and see how we do.

Thanks again!
Mike

Back