• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Movie FURY tank?

Tankbuilder

Hi there people.

I have the Italeri M4A3E8 Sherman FURY kit. I have a few questions about it before I asrmblethe upper hull or the running gear.

#1. I've heard that the tank that was used for FURY was actually an M4A2 not an A3. Is that true. If so, is the Italeiri M4A2 kit any good as a substitute for the A3 upper hull?

#2. Should the running gear look the same on both the left side and the right side of the tank? Italeri would have me assemble all six sets of boggies identically which means three of them on one side of the tank will be reversed from the opposite side of the tank. Would that be correct?

#3. Which rear lower hull plate should be used? The instructions in the A3 kit show the two-doors plate NOT being used but the build instructions show it being used instead of the plate with only one door. Is the one door plate the right door for FURY? Or would I need the A2 kit for the right lower hull rear plate?

Don't recommend I buy a Dragon or other Sherman kit as 1, I can't order them and 2, I want to continue this build asap and the local hobby shop has the Italeri M4A2 in stock.

Anyone else think that the newer Tamiya U.S. Tank Crew figures set looks suspiciously like the crew from the FURY tank?

Thanks and cheers

Thanks. I'll go to the not so local hobby shop tomorrow and buy the Italeri M4A2 kit but ONLY if they allow me to look inside and make sure Italeri used the right upper hull and rear lower hull plate. I'd hate to spend $30.00+ for the kit and then find that it has the wrong parts still.

Cheers

According to Wiki M4A2 76mm HVSS. :popcorn

Took another look at some scenes from the movie and got on decent screen capture of the top of the rear deck. Looks like an A2 deck to me too. There's so much conflicting info out there on the web. I'm guessing that the rear hull plate is also an A2 one not the A3 as in t he kit.

I looked at some images i have of Sherman tanks of the Ontario Regiment Museum in Oshawa Canada and the Italeri instructions are correct as far as the boggies goes.

Guess I need to buy that Italeri M4A2 kit after all.

Cheers

Just found a review of the Italeri M4A2 kit and it has an upper hull of the M4A3 which you have to cut in order to install the proper M4A2 engine deck that's included in the M4A2 kit. Unfortunately the rear hull plate and exhaust are not the right ones for an M4A2. :<(

Then again, to build the FURY tank of the movie I need to get different tracks too.

Cheers

The Italeri FURY tank is a LEMON!

I went and got the Italeri M4A2 tank kit for the engine deck and rear hull panel and exhaust system to put on my FURY tank. Guess what? The M4A2 kit has the WRONG rear hull panel and exhaust for an M4A2 tank.

I think I'll just build a facsimile exhaust system for this tank. I've already sanded off the door on one of the rear hull panels so I can use it as the basis for my M4A2 rear hull panel.

Italeri really ripped model builders off with the FURY kit and also the M4A2 kit since you can NOT build an M4A2 with either or even by kit-bashing the two kits.

Oh, t he extra set of tracks in t he FURY kit are the correct ones for a movie FURY. However they are glueable but ONLY if you use a cyanoacrylic glue not regular plastic model cement from a tube or bottle.

Cheers

Make lemonade?

Seriously, if you can get it to look like the movie vehicle, run with it. Most folks will appreciate the effort and won't notice small inaccuracies. I agree, the manufacturer shouldn't call it Fury if it won't build a reasonable facsimile.

Good luck.

Make lemonade?

Seriously, if you can get it to look like the movie vehicle, run with it. Most folks will appreciate the effort and won't notice small inaccuracies. I agree, the manufacturer shouldn't call it Fury if it won't build a reasonable facsimile.

Good luck.

I'm going to give it the Old College Try. LOL

I just think that cases like this are nothing more than Bait and Switch.

Cheers

I'm not surprised. While Trumpeter is low on my list of good kit makers, Italiari is way below that. Yeah there are short run kits that are worse, but that is expected and a given.

Give it a good go Peter! Think of it as a challenge to your scratch work skills. I have found that I learn more and make some big improvements in my skills when I go ahead and work over kits like you have decided to tackle.

The positives are you will learn something, and when done there will be a feeling of accomplishment that wouldn't come from a shake and bake kit. At this point you have everything to gain and not a lot to loose.

deer_popcorn.gif

Back