• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Need help with Gunze Mr. Color Paints

Skinny_Mike

Hi guys - I need a little help with the thinning ratios and air pressure for Mr Color paints.

hf49efb7.jpg

I am thinning with the leveling thinner. I started off tonight at 1:1 thinner to paint and I got the wispy cotton cob webs all over my paint hog. Sprayed at around 15 psi. I tried adjusting the thinner ratio and air pressure and it continued.

Anyone have good ratios that make this stuff work? I'm just trying to get through my old stock instead of just tossing it.

Thanks
Mike

Was the consistency like skim milk? Also you might try different air pressures. It might have been a little low if it was doing strings.

My rule of thumb is 70% thinner to 30% paint. That's seven drops of thinner to three drops paint mixed in a mixing cup. Gunze self leveling thinner works well with Tamiya jar paints too.

Just keep adding slowly and mix till you get the result you need.

Just don't mix it in the original container .

Cheers, Christian B)

Don't know about Mr Color but cobwebs with Mr. Surfacer usually indicates not enough thinner

Sorry I missed all this activity guys! Thanks for weighing in!

I ended up around 3:1 to 4:1 thinner to paint and it seemed to work pretty well. Did some test shots before committing to the FW190. The mottles could have been better, but not to long ago free hand cam was a struggle. Just takes practice.

Thanks for the help folks. I'll have some pictures up later today or tomorrow.

Mike

Not sure this will help with milk consistancy but someone who use to post at several sites told us to take a wire, dip it in the thinned paint, pull it out, paint should bead up and drop and another drop should bead up and hang on the end of the wire. That's how he use to do it and the times I tried it, it worked. I generally just eyeball it nowadays.

Back