• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

UStar tools

Parting lines, like panel lines?

I got the UMM scribing tool.
http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_105&products_id=4798&osCsid=a4cfe3a21b8314a1cd5ee87dc478cc54

and some other, basically it's a Nail with a handle, I'll take a picture of it.

To answer your question, nope, never heard of them.

Nope not panel lines, parting lines where the two halves of the mold meet and leave a faint raised line on the parts. I generally scrape with the back of an hobby knife. These come in different shapes so you don’t let flat spots on curved surfaces like gun barrels etc.

I use escapement files. Especially on things that have to be smooth like the landing gear on my P-38F. Flat spot, lines, and other irregularities show up real clear with a high metal polish like the oleo part has.

h1c019c8.jpg

Just received one today.

Not bad, $5 shipping and was here is under a week.

Haven't used it yet, but I'm not sold on it.

It's well packed, with a hologram label for authenticity, etc, but the piece itself is about 2.5 by 1.5 inches and relatively flimsy. Not in the shop right now, so I can't put a micrometer on it, but think the original klunky DML Smart kit PE in terms of thickness and flexibility. Reminds me of the old Tamiya zim tools. Not sure how much it will actually scrape styrene if there's raised flash or something, seems likely to crease with any effort, but it may clean up a nice joint that fits well.

I got the 80021 listed for figures. In theory, it'd be useful, but I think you may be better served by just getting a sheet of stainless or brass and grinding out different profile notches.

I'll try it out soon, I'm going to start a Forbidden Planet Robby kit which has a ton of different radius seams throughout.

Just received one today.

Not bad, $5 shipping and was here is under a week.

Haven't used it yet, but I'm not sold on it.

It's well packed, with a hologram label for authenticity, etc, but the piece itself is about 2.5 by 1.5 inches and relatively flimsy. Not in the shop right now, so I can't put a micrometer on it, but think the original klunky DML Smart kit PE in terms of thickness and flexibility. Reminds me of the old Tamiya zim tools. Not sure how much it will actually scrape styrene if there's raised flash or something, seems likely to crease with any effort, but it may clean up a nice joint that fits well.

I got the 80021 listed for figures. In theory, it'd be useful, but I think you may be better served by just getting a sheet of stainless or brass and grinding out different profile notches.

I'll try it out soon, I'm going to start a Forbidden Planet Robby kit which has a ton of different radius seams throughout.

I cannot wait to hear more.

Back