• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Correct Fruils for StuG III Ausf B?

Hey guys & gals,

Having just ordered some PE to dress up the Tamiya 1/35 Stug III Ausf B, I guess the old girl can't go to the dance in old shoes :blink

Which set of Fruils would be correct? ATL-03 PZ III/IV 40 cm?

No prizes for guessing which gruip build this is for ;)

TIA

Rudi :woohoo:

Okay, now I'm really confused... I see ATL-04 are also 40cm Pz III/IV tracks, but the horns look slightly different. :blink :huh: :S

Little help please :blink

Rudi

Hey Rudi , looking at my reference the StuG III Ausf b had the hollow guide horn's ( Fruil ALT-02 , i think ) please don't take this as gospel ( i'd hate to give you a bum stear ) but i hope this has helped a bit

regard's

Matt

Hey Matt,

Thanks mate. I think I used the wrong term, but I agree that the horn should be hollow. There's a kind of loop thing on the outsides of each link (sorry, I honestly have no idea what the thing is called :blush: ) on ATL-04, but not on ATL-03. I'm not sure, but I think I can see the loop on some early pictures... :huh:

nagy_cikkwa5aw_zbzi0.jpg
nagy_cikk45z40_o8hh0.jpg

Rudi

Hi Rudi:

This is a tricky question with a couple diffrent answers. First let me say that the ATL-02 set would be incorrect for a Ausf B as Tamiya gives you in the box. There were very early Ausf B's with these tracks, but they had a diffrent drive sprocket (38cm) and a diffrent idler wheel from what you get in the kit.

Next is that the ATL-03 set could be used with what comes in the kit if you are depicting a late France/Low countries campaing vehicle.

If you are doing an Ausf B from the Barbarossa campaign, ATL-03's are still possible(though very rare by that time), but the ATL-04 set would be the way to go.

Hope this helps

Gary B)

P.S. it is FrIulisimo or Friul. Not Fruil ;) .

G Cooper wrote:
Hi Rudi:

This is a tricky question with a couple diffrent answers. First let me say that the ATL-02 set would be incorrect for a Ausf B as Tamiya gives you in the box. There were very early Ausf B's with these tracks, but they had a diffrent drive sprocket (38cm) and a diffrent idler wheel from what you get in the kit.

Next is that the ATL-03 set could be used with what comes in the kit if you are depicting a late France/Low countries campaing vehicle.

If you are doing an Ausf B from the Barbarossa campaign, ATL-03's are still possible(though very rare by that time), but the ATL-04 set would be the way to go.

Hope this helps

Hi Gary,

Thanks very much indeed for the info. (y) I'd hoped to place a Ausf B during the Greek invasion, but can't find definitive pictures. I'll probably go the Barbarossa route having found a few rather inspiring pictures though. :D

G Cooper wrote:
P.S. it is FrIulisimo or Friul. Not Fruil ;) .
:blink :blink :huh: :eek:hmy: :blush: Well that's embarrassing :ermm: :silly: LOL! Thanks for pointing that out mate! hehe! :laugh:

Hey Rudi , so i wasn't much help , never mind ( show's how much i know about these ) maybe i should read my reference more carefully :unsure:
Don't get embarrassed , i spell them Fruil not Friul ( i didn't really take much notice ) but oh well we know what we mean anyway :blush:

cheer's

Matt

Matt Beattie wrote:
Hey Rudi , so i wasn't much help , never mind ( show's how much i know about these ) maybe i should read my reference more carefully :unsure:

Hey Matt,

Mate, you're always helpful ;) Actually you reminded me to check my references ;) Strangely I'd been so focused on looking for the "right" Stug III B I forgot to check the tracks. :blush:

Rudi

Back