• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tiger 1 early - Winter Russia 1942 -completed

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
This is a new project for a customer that I thought I would post here as it is a fairly simple, out-of-the box model on a small base that can be achieved with simple steps.
Stage 1
I have used this layout on a tiger dio before - about 15 years ago. It worked then so I am just repeating with some detail changes and winter instead of summer.
This is the base unpainted with a mix of materials to achieve the right texture required. I can make this a base for any time of the year from this stage but I will be going for a medium snow cover (as per the customers requirements).
I have glued it all down with a mix of white glue, water and a drop or two of dishwashing detergent to break up the water tension.
The base itself is a cutting board.
This has then been covered in modelling clay shaped with my fingers and a small bowl of water kept on hand to keep it workable. Sand has been used for the main road surface as it squash's down more easliy and replicates the track pattern with the added texture on top of the modelling clay.
The larger stones have been collected from my dirt road out front with really fine and medium stones filtered for use. Finally, some Autumn grass patches from silfour were stuck down to break-up the ground.
The medium brown around the edges and on the base randomly is my much loved and used Tamiya mud.
The colors do not matter at this point, only the textues, which must be captured in the right scale and random setting. I virtually never use real color at this scale as it looks very false compared with the painted surfaces and scale of the model.
The T34 turret is one from my broken parts and spares box.
Its one of my old Tamiya 1970's/80's vintage kits that I have kept for extra detail on small vignetts such as this one. The roof piece needs more work but it is a spare from an early 2000's dragon kit. The other damaged pieces are a mix from the general parts box.
The telegraph pole is from italeiri (I drilled a hole in the base and placed it in, with glue, before the clay was applied).

20200224_225657.jpg

20200224_225642.jpg

20200224_225704.jpg

Last edited:
Tiger 1 early - Winter Russia 1942

You have a talent for making scenes look so natural, Ian. This should be awesome. (y)

Great start on that display base, its looks like a kool little scene
:popcorn

Thank you guys for following and I do appreciate your comments.

This is the base coat stage and a fairly simple update that has the base coated in a couple of flat browns from Vallejio.
Here you can now see the texture better as it is united by the base color. This is where you find out if the texture has gone the way you wanted. If not add more or strip back!
A nice comparison can be made with the previous photos.
20200229_155714.jpg

20200229_155723~0.jpg

I then started adding some darker colors such as brown grey and African Earth with the airbrush. You can also see a light detail interior representing the internal explosion. Some artistic license used to maintain detail.

20200229_161625.jpg

20200229_161749.jpg

Tiger 1 early - Winter Russia 1942 -16/03 update

Thanks Mike, Paul and MP.
Paul, I hope that it may give you some ideas for future projects.

Some more progress..........

Base mud texture added to the Tamiya Tiger 1. This one is an older kit that needed some replacement parts from my Dragon parts box. Its basically an OOTB Tiger 1 with no added extras.

The Idea
This is the basic idea but there may be more figures added.
Groundwork still to be completed.
20200301_005120.jpg

The Details
20200301_005142.jpg

20200301_005245.jpg

The Fiefel air cleaners are modelled as disconnected.
Still working on seam lines and such for the finished model.

20200229_174711.jpg

20200229_174702.jpg

Tiger 1 early - Winter Russia 1942 -22/03 update

Looking great, Ian! Thanks for sharing, it always inspires me. (y)
:drinks

So I gotta ask.
Running the aircleaners disconnected, doesn't sound good for any engine. Why would they run the engine like this?

Looking Awesomeness!!...(y)
Can't wait to see it all its colors!
:v

:) :Hiay

Back again for another breif update.
Firstly thanks everyone for following and posting. I really enjoy the positive encouragement and compliments, Its always a joy and to know you are wanting to see more.
Thanks Laurence, Mike, Christian, MP,Errains, John, James and Luiz.

MP
"So I gotta ask.
Running the aircleaners disconnected, doesn't sound good for any engine. Why would they run the engine like this?"

The Feifel tropical dust filters were originally designed for the North African theatre but continued for a time on all production vehicles going to Russia as well. They greatly reduced the scouring and grit damage that the sand brought to the engine and the thinking must have been that they would be helpful in the Russian summer as well. However they made the engine maintenance tasks more difficult and my understanding is they became more of a 'hinderance than a help' in the Russian climate and may even have become detrimental to the engine efficiency. They were dropped by the fall of 1943 but not before units started totally dismantling them from the tanks or unhooking them partially, as with tanks from s.PzAbt. 503 and 505.

This update has the Tiger 1 getting it's first two base coats of grey with some subtle tone variation that most probably won't be seen after the winter cammo goes on but hey, it's fun to practice anyway. :lol:

Details are not finished and some gaps and seam lines will be dealt with in the next stage.

20200301_232331.jpg

20200301_232357.jpg

I proceeded from here to cover the tank in patchy and streaky maskol. I realise that the hairspray/ worn effects products can achieve the same result with possibly more control, however, being a painter I am confident in controlling the maskol as a painted detail layer, as though i am painting the grey back-in (in reverse)over the Winter cammo, that is only in my minds eye at this point in the process. Plus I couldn't be bothered in covering my model in water at this stage and reverted to a bit of old school that I used to do.
You may have also noticed that I have integrated the darker mud base color over the tracks and wheels in prearation for the next stage of mud weathering.

20200301_232446.jpg

20200301_232423.jpg

Finally, I hit the Tiger with varying layers of acrylic white, some being quite opaque, while other areas allow the base grey to show through more. I do this to beak-up the transition between the grey base coat and the oversprayed white winter cammo, providing more interest in the white paint scheme itself and allowing the varied angles of the armour to add aditional interest to the surface variations.

20200301_232531.jpg

20200301_232635.jpg

As you can see the effect is very similar to the hairspray technique results (which i used on my KV2 dio here https://modelersalliance.org/forum/ian-hill/154675-kv2-diorama-russia-early-1942)

Next the winter cammo will start to build with whiter layers and staining from mud etc as well as further development of the ground work.
Stay tuned folks plenty more to come while in isolation.

Ian.

Back