• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Vorschlaghammer Der Dunkelheit!

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
July 1944, Operation Abendspaziegang is underway. Having made land undetected at Ramsgate, Kent, aided by thunderstorms and driving rain, Rommel sends his recon and fast movers directly to London. Following, is his enforcer and door knocker, Vorschlaghammer der Dunkelheit, The Sledgehammer of the Darkness. Weighing in at 140 tons, it packs a 12.8 cm KwK44 L/55 main gun and a 7.5 cm KwK44 L/36.5 cannon. The beast can also see in the dark with the newest infrared night optics. It's Luftwaffe night camouflage helps make the behemoth become a hole in the darkness, ready to pounce on unsuspecting prey.

This is the old Dragon E100 kit I built about 10 years ago, it's so damned big, it takes up a lot of real estate in the finished builds case and I thought it might be a fun and quick addition to my occupation of Britain adventure. If nothing else, we'll have some laughs. Here's where we started and where we are tonight.

Here's my original build, it was OK, a stepping stone.
hba9f73d.JPG

hdd2a372.JPG

hccac8db.JPG

h6b894e7.JPG

Lots of potential and with some scratch built items and a cool paint job, might get to hang around another 10 years. :laugh:

Two weeks ago, I started digging through my spares bin, looking for parts for the night vision scope.

h0aaff96.JPG

hab74920.JPG

A good reference photo and some imagination, a little time and some glue. Presto!

hc8056b4.JPG

h839047a.jpg

I had knee surgery February 8, so last weekend was lost to movies and TV, painkillers and ice packs. Better today! While I was on the sidelines, I got the idea of adding some impact damage. I found my old wood burner and fitted the round tip. After letting it heat up, just press the tip to the plastic, applying no pressure. The result is a fairly convincing shell strike.

ha739dd0.JPG

h7e1776c.JPG

h00b6e4e.JPG

Coming up next, PAINT!

Thanks for coming by!

:drinks

So I have developed a thing for Luftwaffe splinter camo, it's Chris and Luiz' fault really, but it's unusual and this IS In Another World. :laugh:

Base coat of Tamiya XF-27 Black Green overall, just for giggles.

h16a15db.JPG

That's a lot of tank! :eek:hyeah

Mask out some crazy geometrics, listening to John Lee Hooker.

h8148185.JPG

h46b7b42.JPG

h7ca014c.JPG

Second color is Tamiya XF-81, followed by a few triangles of XF-24.

hb08102a.JPG

h85ca9fe.JPG

hb825e08.JPG

And here we are, may add some more, but so far I think it's an improvement.

h203b45c.JPG

Well, I ran out of daylight. Be mindful of things that go bump in the night. Thanks for coming by!

Thanks guys! I figured I'd recycle this into my story, sort of the thunder following the lightning. Much more to come.

Thanks guys! I really didn't do the first version any justice, hoping to make amends this go. Lots more ideas to come, thanks for coming by.

Many thanks, my friends! I have to admit sandbagging this a little, I've been working on it in between sessions with the E 10. This is basically a paint and weathering exercise, so I've been having some fun with it.
The night vision optics are scratch built from the spare parts bin and some imagination. The kit came with three sets, but where's the fun in using those?? :mpup I used a gun tube from a KV-2 in German service, cut down to length, the rest is just miscellaneous parts from the spares bin. I decided it needed some straps, so I made some from the foil saved from a wine bottle.

h3f778fa.JPG

he48901a.JPG

The foil cuts easily with an Xacto and straight edge, glue it with CA.

hf85212d.JPG

I had made some shell strikes with my wood burner, so I painted the depression and then used pastel chalk and my rubber brush to make the impact soot.

h5f5d161.JPG

h94ea16f.JPG

h156e69e.JPG

h2c6875c.JPG

h58d7093.JPG

h9f0f522.JPG

h015fc67.JPG

h99d0a04.JPG

Larry says he wants to be big like this when he grows up!

h24809bd.jpeg

Moving forward, pretty soon, Winston will hear "Ding dong! Erwin calling!" Thanks for coming by!

Back