• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

FW 190 D12 - JUST FINISHED !

lupanzer

Master at Arms
Hi guys!
My project in this campaign will be a set formed by the FW 190 D12 carrying a torpedo BT 1400 bomb.
They only had three prototypes of the D12 version, none came into production. The main feature of the D12 was that it did not have the machine guns above the engine. It would be a version designed for ground attack or attacks on ships.
Considerations about the torpedo BT 1400 bomb :
The Fw 190 was fitted with a wide variety of weapons, and one of the most strange was the BT aerial torpedo bomb. This weapon was designed to replace the bombs used by fighter-bombers against shipping, but could also be used against land targets. The bomb consisted of a long truncated nose cone with a cylindrical center section and a tail unit which tapered towards the rear on which were positioned three ends. It was designed to enter the water on a flat trajectory and continue beneath without deviation at the fastest speed and for the greatest distance as possible. BT 1400 versions have never been used.
The model used is one of the icons of the 1990s: A Fw 190 D12 with the BT 1400 torpedo in the 1/48 scale from TRIMASTER.
As you will observe I will have to make changes in this model, mainly as:
- Including the rear of the engine that appeared in the wheelbay, TRIMASTER made this wheelbay as the same that of the FW 190 A, which was closed.
- Modification of the vertical rudder to the tall tail type.
It was very common in TRIMASTER models, the use of stainless steel photoetcheds, very difficult to work with.
I intend to make on this FW a very characteristic and interesting, of course,painting job of the end of WWII.

Let´s see, the usual start pictures and how I´m now with this project :

To ensure a better dihedral, I glued the upper wings first :

Dealing with the cockpit photoetcheds :

Improving with sprue pieces the leather protection in front of the IP, this must be sanded and adjusted :

Making the tall tail, not finished , yet :

All the FW 190 D´s and TA´s (in line engines) had the wheelbays open, not closed as TRIMASTER did...it was closed in the FW 190 A´s.
See the proccess :

This is how I´m now...hope you like the project...more will come , soon!

Regads!

Luiz.

A DEADLY WEAPON THAT NEVER EXISTED...

Interesting Project!!...liking the attention to details especially in the wheel wells
:v

Wow Luiz! I have a few of these old Trimaster kits. For their time they were the best, but then went away. I believe Dragon obtained all the molds and has repopped them a few times without the PE and metal parts. Yes the stainless steel parts are more difficult to work with than brass though you should be able to anneal them if need be.

Looking great so far!

Watching-with-Popcorn.jpg

Very cool Luiz!

Didn't Hasegawa kit a version of this plane with the same torpedo?

I really like the details, see that you snuck a wheel in the engine bay! nice job so far!

:popcorn

Love all the comments!... all of you are welcome. :good: :drinks

Luiz.

FW 190 D12 w/ Torpedo...April 22nd Update.

Hi!

The first update...

1- The tall tail is ready ;

2- A true long nose :frantic :

3 - Dealing/ improving the flaps :

Hope to start the painting job, soon... see you there!

Luiz.

FW 190 D12 - WHELL WELLS AND COCKPIT.

Hi all!

Painting the whell wells...

Painting the cockpit...

The tail modification (tall tail version) with a first coat of paint, RLM 84 :

Regards for all!

Luiz.

FW 190 D12 - WHELL WELLS AND COCKPIT.

Too Cool! Your usual scale and custoamry handiwerks! (y)

Back