• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Project Salamander

White_Wolf

Master at Arms
Background - over the past few months, Australia experienced some of the worst bush fires ever. Over 10 million hectares were devastated, loss of human and animal life, property, many were impacted directly and indirectly. We had a few days where visibility was under 100 meters due to smoke, I had to evacuate the office one day due to fires coming very close to the building and so on.
This was the first time ever that Defense was called upon, to evacuate people from beaches.
Some, if not most fires were in such remote locations, that only air support could hit them, nothing on the ground was capable to reach those remote locations, due to lack of roads. Australia is almost as big as continental USA minus Alaska and only less than 25 million people live here, mainly in big cities along the coast. The few inland places are usually small communities, without too many assets in terms of fire fighting capabilities.
I heard a while back that the Australian army will be replacing their fleet of ASLAVs (Canadian LAV for Australia - AS is the NATO code) with some other APCs soon, so, I thought of an option where the retired ASLAVs would be refitted to fight fires in remote areas. They are 8x8 powerful vehicles, can cross bodies of water, they are protected against smoke (poor air quality in general), have the mechanical power to get over obstacles, can do 100 km/h on roads, they are heavy enough to be protected against pyro-convection and so on.
My idea is to show an ASLAV Phase 3, with a water canon instead of its' usual 25mm canon, with a water tank fitted inside and some more features that I haven't figured out just yet. The vehicle will be painted in a mixed yellow - aboriginal scheme, like some of the Canberra fire fighting trucks.

I will be using Trumpeter's 1/35 05535 kit, with a lot of scratch building. Well, significant amount at least.

h2f942d0.jpg

he47d02f.JPG

h106dab0.JPG

h4ee120f.JPG

hfcb0224.jpeg

hfe50266.jpg

I started two days ago, apologies for not having a starting photo.

Thanks for watching.

Laurence

Ok this is a totally Kick-Azz Concept! Don't let the fact that the campaign is over stop you from going ahead with it this!! :drinks :popcorn :drinks
:v

Right, bit of an update ...

Moving house again, less than the ideal scenario for modeling. On the bright side, bigger space, enough to have my own room to work on the Bismarck :frantic , less rent to pay, location is great too :D .

Anyway, back to this thingy ...

Scratched stuff and lots of it, interior and exterior.

hb5fcc93.JPG

Engine - all resin from Blackdog, then the winch compartment with an oil filter, driver's area, the big white thing is the big water tank almost 7 cubic meters, that's 7 tons of water at a density of 1,000 kg /cubic meter.

ha5fa78b.JPG

Side view - same area, better view of commander's panels and stuff. More needs to be added, seat and all.

h2537397.JPG

Side view again, with the upper half on. The protruding things on the side are meant to spray water over the wheels, my own design :D

heb8344b.JPG

And the big water cannon - the barrel comes from Bismarck - it's a portion of one of the 15" guns, I'd say kind of half the length.

More to be added later, hope to be able to find the time.

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Moving is always such a hassle. Sounds like this will be worth it in the end though.

Sweet project. :drinks

Someone's gonna get wet!

The size and power of that water cannon is like the big gun on the Bismarck-one huge thing complemented by so many smaller guns. This will have many more water throwing devices :D that will create a curtain of water to protect the vehicle in case of an emergency.

Laurence

Awesome idea. I really like it. I cant wait to see more.
James

Thanks James (y)

Well, here's more then :D

Still working on the details for the interior, adding the gizmos I can think of after examining some fire trucks related stuff.... also adding more to the exterior. Loving this, since it's a "What if" I can pretty much do what I want, without fearing the rivet counters :fencing

Painting the exterior is a bit of a pain though - it's yellow, because all fire fighting vehicles in Canberra are yellow (and not just Canberra), plus I wanted some aboriginal motifs. I thought of a lizard, the salamander (does not actually live in Oz) but still, and the aboriginal symbols for fire and rain. Colors are considered too - red, yellow and orange for fire, white and blue for water. Basically it's the salamander popping out of the fire to bring the much needed "rain", thus putting out the fire. Couldn't think of anything else ....

ha5d6f77.JPG

One side with the lizard on Flat Earth Vallejo acrylic.

h8b7c5da.JPG

The other side - dot painting is almost everything in the aboriginal painting. The lines there are meant to represent the rain.

he075ab4.JPG

The water tank, control panels and indicators, plus the water pump. PE letters - I think the letters look quite cool. The "pump" is actually part of the kit, but it was meant to be a portable compressor.

h54a01af.JPG

A view from the rear, upper hull in position, dry fitted.

So much more to do ....in between shifting boxes and furniture - oh well ... :soldier :soldier :soldier

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Very cool, Laurence! Welcome to the what if darkside. :evil: You're right, anything goes feels really good!

(y)

Awesome idea. I really like it. I cant wait to see more.
James

Thanks James (y)

Well, here's more then :D

Still working on the details for the interior, adding the gizmos I can think of after examining some fire trucks related stuff.... also adding more to the exterior. Loving this, since it's a "What if" I can pretty much do what I want, without fearing the rivet counters :fencing

Painting the exterior is a bit of a pain though - it's yellow, because all fire fighting vehicles in Canberra are yellow (and not just Canberra), plus I wanted some aboriginal motifs. I thought of a lizard, the salamander (does not actually live in Oz) but still, and the aboriginal symbols for fire and rain. Colors are considered too - red, yellow and orange for fire, white and blue for water. Basically it's the salamander popping out of the fire to bring the much needed "rain", thus putting out the fire. Couldn't think of anything else ....

ha5d6f77.JPG

One side with the lizard on Flat Earth Vallejo acrylic.

h8b7c5da.JPG

The other side - dot painting is almost everything in the aboriginal painting. The lines there are meant to represent the rain.

he075ab4.JPG

The water tank, control panels and indicators, plus the water pump. PE letters - I think the letters look quite cool. The "pump" is actually part of the kit, but it was meant to be a portable compressor.

h54a01af.JPG

A view from the rear, upper hull in position, dry fitted.

So much more to do ....in between shifting boxes and furniture - oh well ... :soldier :soldier :soldier

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

That's awesome!

Gents, very kind words, thank you all :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

After some intense thinking, doing and re-doing, hating both and starting all over, I think I might have found some working options.

h0d981d2.JPG

This one is a black lizard. The colors are meant to represent the fire.

hb66a415.JPG

This one is obviously different, a lot more "aboriginal" in appearance, background is the same-ish.

A lot more painting to do, but I am very limited in what I can do at the moment, as we are in the middle of moving house .

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Now that we have finally moved into our new rental and internet is available again, time to do some modeling ....alas for more reasons than a while back - now it's the isolation thing to keep us all safe. Speaking of which, I hope everyone is ok.

For the past few days, it has been boxes all around, finding stuff, putting stuff away, swearing and all sorts. We all know that part. The good thing is that I have a room all to myself (storage room that is - no windows, but who cares) - perfect for what I need.

This will be the new Blohm & Voss, when I finally get around to having all that I need in place to resume the Bismarck. Until then, in small doses, it's work on this Salamander project.

I have decided to add a command - control - comms - rescue "thingy" to the build. The idea is that the "thingy" would be deployed somewhere safe and accessible by road, and the salamanders would swing into action under its' watchful eye (electronically speaking). Comes complete with all sorts of advanced comms, air filtering (of course, due to potential smoke), some fire fighting capabilities (water curtain generators or some other poetic name if needed) - electricity generator, a medical compartment, a compartment where some wild life could be saved from immediate danger (little cute koala bears and kangaroos) and whatever else my creative madness might deem necessary. A water tank, tools, spare wheels all sorts ....

For this purpose, I decided to use an old BTR80 from Zvezda, which never made it to a finished model ... very sad. Not a big fan of Zvezda kits, particularly this one ... bad bad bad quality. I'll have to cut it in chunks, reshape the whole thing, add a ton of detail and scratched parts .. so much fun ahead :love:.

Well, that was the latest from Oz - stay safe folks, this will end one day soon and world is going to be a better place again.

Laurence

Back