• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Modelcollect T-72AV

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
I started this 1/72 scale T-72AV by Modelcollect a year ago hoping or more like thinking "A nice quick build." Well things drug out and I finally wrapped it up the first week of February. I'll try and show some of the steps of the build.

For a number of years now I've been watching YouTube videos of Syrian tanks running wild in the towns and streets of Syria. Kinda cool watching them. Plus I really like how beat up and weathered they are.

First off the kit is probably one of the best 1/72 scale tanks I've built. The lower hull is cast metal, upper hull is nice along with the turret. The tracks I say are the down side to the kit. If I find some in resin I might replace them.

IMG_1506.JPG

I cut off some of the fenders on the upper hull and put casting textures on the turret with a mix of Squadron gray putty and liquid cement. I trimmed up the side skirts too.

IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

I placed some styrene on the under side of the hull to plug the openings

IMG_1513.JPG

The I didn't put the reactive armor bricks totally right on the turret so check and recheck your reference before gluing

IMG_1529.JPG

The reactive armored for the side skirts were molded as one piece. I sanded down the back sides until they were separated into individual bricks. Then glued them on. I think this really helped them look more realistic

IMG_1542.JPG

I made new head light guards from copper wire

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1546.JPG

I made some sand bags out of Milliput to cover the separation line on the upper hull that I was not happy with

IMG_1675.JPG

Painting up next

Painting this little should not to be bad right? :hmmm

I primered it in Tamiya gray. Might not have been the best choice as so much of the was gray plastic

IMG_1911.JPG

I then shot it in Ammo by Mig Syrian yellow. I mixed some in lighter shades for highlights. A tip here the Ammo paints do not take handling well, so make sure to clear the model well when using their paint.

IMG_1913.JPG

I then hand painted the sand bags in Vallejo off white and a green.

IMG_1915.JPG

For the chipping I used a torn piece of foam and Vallejo German grey to start. Then I used Russian green. I used Tamiya washes to help with bringing out some of the details. On some of the reactive armor bricks I used different colors of was to change the tint of the base color.

IMG_1917.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

IMG_1927.JPG

IMG_1926.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

IMG_1924~0.JPG

I got a head of myself and tried some oil paints for oil, grease and fuel spills.

IMG_1920.JPG

IMG_1922.JPG

Okay this step is where I started to like of this was looking. I mixed up some pigments and kept applying them in thin coats.

IMG_1969.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

Finish project.

The track was painted with Humbrol hull red then dry brushed with Humbrol light grey. I added pigment to them before installing. The tracks are really tight and hard to get on. The left one ended up breaking off the return rollers and the front ideler wheel.

There are some little touch ups I need to do but calling it done.

IMG_1978.JPG

IMG_1979.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG

IMG_1982.JPG

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_1988.JPG

Finally something to call done. :popcorn

Whoa! Nice build Jeff, another thread I almost missed. Glad you got some bench and posting time. (y)

Beautiful job Jeff! It's nice to see another Modelcollect kit being built. You did a simply magnificent job on that little tank. I need to get that Syrian version they put out. I doubt I will detail it to that extent, but I have this subscribed so I can look back on it for ideas once I finally get one.

Way to go once again Jeff! That was a fast and exceptionally well done job!

Back