• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Scale 75 Sarasen Warrior (Painting Class)

The last figure for 2017 As you fellows know, I usually paint in oil over acrylics. I am always willing to learn and grow. :laugh:
In November 2017 Scale 75 U.S.A, held a two day painting class with Julio Cabos in Acrylics at the Scale 75 U.S.A warehouse in Texas. The First two day class was a full figure class, The second two day class was a bust class. I only took the full figure class. Since the warehouse is only and hours drive away, I jumped at the class having missed the last class a couple of years ago due to prior commitments. I enrolled 9 months early??? :yipee

The classes were limited to 15 students and Julios demonstrations were projected on a large screen so all could see what he was doing. Excellent way to see what he was doing. 15 was a great number to have plenty of personal attention which I needed a lot :woohoo:

ha195843.jpg

This model is not for Competition but for learning and is done in all acrylics (Scale 75). I thought that you may like to see my attempt at this strange medium. The style is of the Spanish style, only I was probably not as aggressive as Julio in high contrast painting. Difficult to do after all these years. :hmmm

h188c128.jpg

h68fff41.jpg

The figure came with the class registration and was already primed with black primer and highlighted white primer. and on pegs ready to paint.

h06d0c19.jpg

After the class he was 80% finished but not assembled and still in pieces on pegs.
I had not completed the lace on the exterior garment or shoes. The pattern was completed on the interior clothes.
:v

h610bbfd.jpg

h1e389c5.jpg

I finished the sword and shield and lace at home with the help of printed instructions received after the class for the colours used including the shadows and lights.

ha39b076.jpg

h74ac822.jpg

The base is finished in the colours of the Sarracen. The base under colour was black with The top base surface colour was dark Yellow tones with a sandy colour and texture and dried tufts added sparingly. The under- section with the black primer has green and purple and yellow areas all blended and lightened in areas with brown washes and brown black on the under surfaces. Dry grass tufts added sparingly.

h3779c36.jpg

Julio and Juan. Juan was our interpreter and did a fantastic job of translating apanish/English an English/Spanish including comments and remarks and jokes. He worked his butt off :yipee

Juan is a member of our North Texas Figure Club. We meet monthly at the local Hobby Town and now Scale 75 Warehouse.

We all received our Diploma and it is now on the wall with a worksheet that I used for the class.

ha741538.jpg

I guess I am limited to 12 inserts so the worksheet is not here :hmmm

h97644ef.jpg

So end the experiment and I had a great time and learnt a lot. Now as long as the memory remembers all will be fine. I will probably paint another Acrylic figure to remember the class but cannot guarantee I will stay with acrylics but the journey was good.

Thanks for looking
All comments are welcome and encouraged.
Cheers

That's pretty amazing John- I really think you did spectacular! Really love the different colors in this and the base is also very sublime. Reminds me of the class I attended at AMPS in Van few years back with Mig Jimenez...glad you were able to go this time!

I would have thought you would have been at the front of the class.

Looks like a great lesson to learn! :notworthy

Back