• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Do you remember the first model kit you ever built

JSteinman

Master at Arms
To the best of my recollection, it was this Minicraft kit of the Santa Maria, circa the 1960s

mn2UMjA.jpg

I really think it was a Porsche 911 in the late 60s, very late.
Dr John I build that Santa Maria when I was in grade school, took it to show and tell...:rotf

So, you got something in mind? :popcorn

I am pretty sure it was this one. The shop up the road on the corner fixed sowing machines and also sold bagged airfix 1/72 planes. :unsure: :laugh:
vintage-airfix-1-72-yak-9d-bagged-model-kit.jpg

No pics available for mine. It was a micro kit of a B-47 refueling from a C-135 tanker. Solid with no clear parts and little details. I think it was Monogram as many years later I saw a kit at a swap meet that had a bunch of planes (with the 2 I built) in it. I was 7 and had been wanting to build some kits for a while as my dad was building some.

Yep and it took about 5 years of weekly searching to land one this past fall:

he5d045d_2019-02-15.jpg

I was 5 (possibly 4, we moved from the house in 1970) and still remember finding and opening it. It was part of an Easter scavenger hunt, hidden in the clothes dryer.

hd4ed5de.jpg

Not something you would run across unless you were digging around . One of the early Skunkworks projects .

Didn't make it into production `due to the shortcomings of early jet engines at the that time.

Cheers, Christian B)

Way too long ago, I cant even remember. Might have been a car or a plane. I do remember getting one of the old Timex watch display cabinets and filling it with cars before I realized Tanks and a/c were more interesting.

Christmas 1964, I got, among other things, a Grumman Duck of unknown manufacture and scale and the old AMT 1940 Ford sedan. That started it all. Dad helped me with the Duck, it was built with the precise color of white it was molded in and the decals really popped! The Ford was molded in basic black and had a bitchin' decal sheet, I figured out that one of my friends was scared of the devil decal, soooooooo... :evil:

Thanks for the fun look back. :ro:

hd4ed5de.jpg

Not something you would run across unless you were digging around . One of the early Skunkworks projects .

Didn't make it into production `due to the shortcomings of early jet engines at the that time.

Cheers, Christian B)

Love those lines, looks like the classic '50s jet fighter. I bet a J79 would push it around nicely.

it was 1978, i was recovering from Acute pharyngitis (throat inflammation)

h6711280.jpg

''Not the original box''

My Older brother got me this model.... he is still the only brother (i have 4 ) that has a interest in my model building and WW2

hd4ed5de.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Love those lines, looks like the classic '50s jet fighter. I bet a J79 would push it around nicely.

They only built two. One went for stress testing but the other was flown for years during the 50's .
The twin afterburning J-34's were just not enough whe the airframe was more than capable.

The only one that flew was last used in a nuclear test.

I'm with you, good looking lines . Too much glue on my copy . :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

My Grandmother bought this for my birthday when we visiting on summer vacation. I was about 8 years old . Built it without painting it using the Red Rippers markings. Fought many air campaigns in the back seat of the car during the 14 hour drive back home.

he07cff7.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

I know there were a smathering of cars but nothing stands out in my memory...but this Testors kit was my first aircraft and I'd just stare at it for hours in the box before I actually built it....

h3eb6c44.jpg

Well, I thought I had built this one...

161798-22111-28-pristine.jpg

Let me explain, I visited my cousins every month and one time I saw they had some 'toys' (I was about 5 years old) and was told they are not toys but puzzles that break. I didn't understand so they took this model out and cut the pieces for me and allowed me to 'glue' the model and 'paint' it white. I didn't get time to put the 'stickers' on. Next month, I saw it completed and I was proud! Then there was the Airfix red MiG-21... I don't recall the others.

Much later, I found out that my cousins had given me white glue to use and white shoe polish. Once I left, they soaked it and built it themselves! :D

Regards,

1/350 scale USS Lexington that my dad brought home and then helped me build on the kitchen table. I can't remember who made it but if i had to guess likely Revell or Monogram. Good times.

My first ever model I built was when I was six and my mother helped me build it on our kitchen table one day. It was the old Aurora 1/48 scale F-86D Sabre Dog. I still remember the picture of the jet screaming across a red sky. That model survived maybe a day or two; as I played with it I eventually broke it beyond repair. My mother also realized at that time as we were building it that 1/48 scale was too much for a small boy like me so the next model she got me was in 1/72 scale.

The first model I ever kept was that second 1/72 scale model she got me. It was the old MPC Profile Series kit of the Focke Wulf FW-190 D-9. It was also the first kit I build and painted all by myself. I even painted the pilot before closing him inside the canopy. I kept that model, repairing it as best I could; using carved matchsticks painted black for the wing guns for instance. That plane was a veteran of many air battles with follow on models and chalked up quite a kill score in the hundreds. He might have even surpassed Germany's highest scoring ace in WWI! LOL! :D :woohoo:

Amazingly enough, I do still have that model on my shelf. Here it is today built as it was by my six-year-old self:

First_One_Focke_Wulf.JPG

I can't bring myself to get rid of it. It's too much a part of me now.

Well, that's the story of my first model.

Back