Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Do you remember the first model kit you ever built

Do you remember the first model kit you ever built 15 Feb 2019 17:34 #13

phantom II wrote:
hd4ed5de.jpg

Not something you would run across unless you were digging around . One of the early Skunkworks projects .

Didn't make it into production `due to the shortcomings of early jet engines at the that time.

Cheers, Christian B)

Love those lines, looks like the classic '50s jet fighter. I bet a J79 would push it around nicely.
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you remember the first model kit you ever built 15 Feb 2019 17:36 #14

it was 1978, i was recovering from Acute pharyngitis (throat inflammation)

h6711280.jpg

''Not the original box''

My Older brother got me this model.... he is still the only brother (i have 4 ) that has a interest in my model building and WW2
  • Piet
  • Piet
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander
'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''
Last Edit: 15 Feb 2019 17:39 by Piet.

Do you remember the first model kit you ever built 15 Feb 2019 19:49 #15

moon puppy wrote:
phantom II wrote:
hd4ed5de.jpg

Not something you would run across unless you were digging around . One of the early Skunkworks projects .

Didn't make it into production `due to the shortcomings of early jet engines at the that time.

Cheers, Christian B)

Love those lines, looks like the classic '50s jet fighter. I bet a J79 would push it around nicely.

They only built two. One went for stress testing but the other was flown for years during the 50's .
The twin afterburning J-34's were just not enough whe the airframe was more than capable.

The only one that flew was last used in a nuclear test.

I'm with you, good looking lines . Too much glue on my copy . :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Do you remember the first model kit you ever built 15 Feb 2019 20:03 #16

My Grandmother bought this for my birthday when we visiting on summer vacation. I was about 8 years old . Built it without painting it using the Red Rippers markings. Fought many air campaigns in the back seat of the car during the 14 hour drive back home.

he07cff7.jpg

Cheers,
Rich
  • RichB
  • RichB
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander

Do you remember the first model kit you ever built 16 Feb 2019 10:03 #17

I know there were a smathering of cars but nothing stands out in my memory...but this Testors kit was my first aircraft and I'd just stare at it for hours in the box before I actually built it....

h3eb6c44.jpg
  • Jeeves
  • Jeeves
  • Brigadier
    Brigadier
Mike

John 8:36
Big Daddy Modeler Blog
Last Edit: 16 Feb 2019 10:05 by Jeeves.

Do you remember the first model kit you ever built 16 Feb 2019 12:55 #18

Well, I thought I had built this one...

Let me explain, I visited my cousins every month and one time I saw they had some 'toys' (I was about 5 years old) and was told they are not toys but puzzles that break. I didn't understand so they took this model out and cut the pieces for me and allowed me to 'glue' the model and 'paint' it white. I didn't get time to put the 'stickers' on. Next month, I saw it completed and I was proud! Then there was the Airfix red MiG-21... I don't recall the others.

Much later, I found out that my cousins had given me white glue to use and white shoe polish. Once I left, they soaked it and built it themselves! :D

Regards,
Saúl Garcí­a
Masquerading as a man with a reason
My charade is the event of the season
And if I claim to be a wise man,
Well, it surely means that I don't know

Do you remember the first model kit you ever built 16 Feb 2019 15:00 #19

1/350 scale USS Lexington that my dad brought home and then helped me build on the kitchen table. I can't remember who made it but if i had to guess likely Revell or Monogram. Good times.
Last Edit: 16 Feb 2019 15:01 by Skinny_Mike.

Do you remember the first model kit you ever built 16 Feb 2019 18:26 #20

My first ever model I built was when I was six and my mother helped me build it on our kitchen table one day. It was the old Aurora 1/48 scale F-86D Sabre Dog. I still remember the picture of the jet screaming across a red sky. That model survived maybe a day or two; as I played with it I eventually broke it beyond repair. My mother also realized at that time as we were building it that 1/48 scale was too much for a small boy like me so the next model she got me was in 1/72 scale.

The first model I ever kept was that second 1/72 scale model she got me. It was the old MPC Profile Series kit of the Focke Wulf FW-190 D-9. It was also the first kit I build and painted all by myself. I even painted the pilot before closing him inside the canopy. I kept that model, repairing it as best I could; using carved matchsticks painted black for the wing guns for instance. That plane was a veteran of many air battles with follow on models and chalked up quite a kill score in the hundreds. He might have even surpassed Germany's highest scoring ace in WWI! LOL! :bgrin :woohoo:

Amazingly enough, I do still have that model on my shelf. Here it is today built as it was by my six-year-old self:

I can't bring myself to get rid of it. It's too much a part of me now.

Well, that's the story of my first model.

The following user(s) said Thank You: sharkmouth

Do you remember the first model kit you ever built 17 Feb 2019 12:24 #21

Great stuff guys - I see lots of aeroplanes there! I too was aircraft heavy in the beginning, then migrated to monogram funny car kits, and then I built the Tamiya SAS jeep, about 1971. That was it for me. Primarily armor from there on out. I especially loved the Renwal kits.

Moon I didn't have anything in mind really. Do you?
  • JSteinman
  • JSteinman
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
  • alt
"Life is too short and the sun will go supernova someday, stop worrying about the s*** you cannot change."

-Me

"We don need no stinkin' badges"

Do you remember the first model kit you ever built 17 Feb 2019 12:45 #22

JSteinman wrote:

Not lately... :rotf

Didn't know if you were setting us up for a epic build now you got the bench dusted off again. :dude
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

Do you remember the first model kit you ever built 17 Feb 2019 12:52 #23

moon puppy wrote:
JSteinman wrote:

Not lately... :rotf

Didn't know if you were setting us up for a epic build now you got the bench dusted off again. :dude

And here I thought all my builds were epic... :mpup
  • JSteinman
  • JSteinman
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
  • alt
"Life is too short and the sun will go supernova someday, stop worrying about the s*** you cannot change."

-Me

"We don need no stinkin' badges"

Do you remember the first model kit you ever built 17 Feb 2019 14:02 #24

JSteinman wrote:
Great stuff guys - I see lots of aeroplanes there! I too was aircraft heavy in the beginning, then migrated to monogram funny car kits, and then I built the Tamiya SAS jeep, about 1971. That was it for me. Primarily armor from there on out. I especially loved the Renwal kits.

That's funny, maybe it's the natural progression. After the Aurora Monsters, all my allowance/lawn mowing dollars went to whatever Monogram kit was on the Woolworth's shelf. Usually a WWII Pacific based AC, then some ETO stuff. It wasn't until I was an adult getting back into it that I started armor.

Duke, it's amazing that you still have that. Looks like you built it yesterday.
  • ausf
  • ausf
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
What, me worry?

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds