• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sd.Kfz 182 KING TIGER sPzAbt 501

MrT

Master at Arms
Staff member
I will be doing the Dragon version of the King Tiger from the Heavy SS Panzer Battalion 501 which took part in the Ardennes offensive in December 1944. I will follow up with official start photo's later.

B_DRA6254_00.jpg

B)

A hard edge ambush camo pattern will be called for here. It seems that most if not all had this.

IMG_8732.jpg

18169541934_8d4dc22e08_b.jpg

King_Tiger_tank.jpg

tiger2_503.jpg

Also weathering will be less of a factor here as all the King Tigers at Ardennes were brand new. So no rust and not many chips. Dirt/mud yes, but radical wear and tear no. Few if any missing parts like fenders etc. Not out of the question, but most left the line of departure in one piece.

So some interesting painting yet to come.

A hard edge ambush camo pattern will be called for here. It seems that most if not all had this.

tiger2_503.jpg

Also weathering will be less of a factor here as all the King Tigers at Ardennes were brand new. So no rust and not many chips. Dirt/mud yes, but radical wear and tear no. Few if any missing parts like fenders etc. Not out of the question, but most left the line of departure in one piece.

That last picture has me questioning, the turret of the closest KT.

1. softedge camo or is that an effect of the Zim?

2. Zim on an Ardennes KT?

I thought they were all sans-zim. I ask these questions like I even know what I'm talking about. :idonno

tiger2_503.jpg

That last picture has me questioning, the turret of the closest KT.

1. softedge camo or is that an effect of the Zim?

2. Zim on an Ardennes KT?

I thought they were all sans-zim. I ask these questions like I even know what I'm talking about. :idonno

Zimmert depends on when the tank was made. Zimmert application had ended by mid 1944. The appearance of soft edge camo is the effect of the Zimmert paste.

I have put some paint on the turret. As with the real thing I have base coated with red brown(primer).

Here it is before the burnt sienna oil wash....

DSC06425.JPG

DSC06426.JPG

DSC06427.JPG

After the oil wash.....

DSC06428~0.JPG

DSC06429~0.JPG

DSC06430~0.JPG

DSC06431.JPG

More tracks and some dry brushing coming up.

B)

Back