Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Build a King Tiger.

Work in Progress allowed.

End, when we get done.

TOPIC: MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945)

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 02 Jul 2017 18:19 #25

Hi guys! I’m back with a quick update. I primed the hull with Ammo’s One Shot Primer, which I really love right now, then I painted the hull in Ammo’s Reseda Green Option B. Since this is a paper panzer I went with the color I liked more then reality, if you will. I did decide to go with a green base with a brown camo pattern similar to one of the options in the kit’s painting guide, but I’ll probably add a little bit of my own spin to it. Once the green was down, I added a little bit of Ammo’s Zinc Chromate yellow to lighten up the green and sprayed the centers of the larger panels. It doesn’t show up in the photos very well, but it ended up looking very good.

One mistake I did make though, after taking the time to paint the periscopes before installing them, I forgot to mask them and they ended up getting painted over. :bangs head Its always something! Oh well, not a terribly hard fix, just annoyed at myself.

I am still learning how to best use these type of acrylics. For this paint work I thinned the paint 50/50 with thinner and sprayed 3 thin coats following a tutorial I saw online, It seemed to turn out pretty well.

On to the turret!

Thanks for watching!
Mike
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 02 Jul 2017 19:24 #26

:thumbsup
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skinny_Mike

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 02 Jul 2017 21:00 #27

:soldier
  • Iron Mike
  • Iron Mike
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
I dream of a world where a chicken can cross the road without having its motives questioned.

What we do in life will echo in eternity.

IPMS Plastic Surgeon (satellite member)

AMPS member

Resident Curmudgeon

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 02 Jul 2017 23:30 #28

Good job :good

Luiz
  • lupanzer
  • lupanzer
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 14 Jul 2017 20:27 #29

lupanzer wrote:
Good job :good

Luiz

Thanks Luiz!

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 14 Jul 2017 20:28 #30

Hi guys – another update, just about done with assembly of this Big Tiger. This work was all completed last weekend, but I didn’t have a chance to get a post up.

First step was to build up a platform for the tank commander inside of the tank. I used some random plastic strips. Also added the supports for the gun. I set the turret on the hull and then I fitted the gun itself so I could set the appropriate angle for the gun then glued it all in place.

Then I assemble the turret top and bottom halves and finished adding the parts. I did leave off the hooks for the spare track links and the foliage loops so that I don’t break them off during handling. I’ll add them just before I primer and paint.

The mantlet is specific for the 10.5cm gun, I assembled the two pieces, then I assed a cast texture using Mr. Surfacer 500 dabbed onto the parts and continued dabbing at it as it dried.

The mantlet was glued onto the turret. Here it is all dry fitted together.

And a comparison photo with my JadgPanther armed with the 88mm gun. That 10.5cm is impressive!

Getting closer. Thanks for watching.
Mike

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 14 Jul 2017 20:34 #31

:popcorn
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 14 Jul 2017 22:32 #32

:v :popcorn
  • Tony lee
  • Tony lee
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
  • alt

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 14 Jul 2017 23:25 #33

Superb :good .... :popcorn

Luiz
  • lupanzer
  • lupanzer
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 15 Jul 2017 02:12 #34

Whoa! Bringing out the BIG guns eh? Cool! B)

Looking good Mike! :thumbsup

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 15 Jul 2017 10:20 #35

Thanks guys! I am pretty happy with this build so far, and my typical nemesis - the tracks - are already completed! :yipee Momentum should stay up on this one.

Be back soon!
:drinks

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 23 Jul 2017 21:46 #36

Hi guys – quick update this weekend.

There are a few details left to go on the turret before painting. One of those is the weld beads around the periscope covers. I tried a third technique for these, and I have to say these turned out the best. I used some two part green epoxy putty. I mixed up a small batch and then rolled some out into a tiny little noodle. Then I cut off little pieces, squished them into the area where the weld needs to be, then textured it with a hobby knife. I am very happy with the result. I was so happy I removed the plastic rod from the gunners periscope cover and re-did them with the epoxy putty.

And here’s a close up of the commander’s cupola.

Well I just have the spare track link hangers left to go, then we can get this bugger to paint.

Thanks for watching!
Mike
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds