TOPIC: MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945)

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 23 Jul 2017 22:21 #37

:popcorn :bgrin
  • Tony lee
  • Tony lee
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
  • alt
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 24 Jul 2017 08:39 #38

Looks good! :good
  • Iron Mike
  • Iron Mike
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
I dream of a world where a chicken can cross the road without having its motives questioned.

What we do in life will echo in eternity.

IPMS Plastic Surgeon (satellite member)

AMPS member

Resident Curmudgeon

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 21 Aug 2017 23:00 #39

Hi guys – Got some substantial progress to share on my King Tiger.

First thing I needed to do was finish the turret. This involved adding all the track hangers and the foliage loops. The kit provides plastic loops, but I suspected that they would be a challenge to remove, clean and keep on the turret during all the handling that was sure to follow, so I decided to replace them with some brass wire. I ended up using some spare track pin wire from the Friul tracks. It happened to be just about the right size. This was bent around another piece of brass wire that matched the inside diameter of the loops. Then I drilled out the mounting pints in the turret and installed the loops. A little CA glue on the inside and they are firmly mounted. I did leave the middle loop out until after the decals where added just in case it was in the way.

I also attached the mantlet to the turret at this point. I decided at the last minute to add a casting number to it. I shaved off some numbers from the parts trees, and when I had three good ones I glued them down. Originally I had intended to put them vertically at the base, but for some reason when I went to glue them on I forgot and added them horizontally. Oops. Oh well – This was something new that I tried, and I think it came out pretty good.

Once the assembly was complete, I sprayed a on coat of gray primer using the Ammo One Shot Gray. I really like this primer, sprays on really well.

Once the primer sat for a couple of days to fully cure, I started the paint work. The base colors where sprayed next, Reseda Green Option B from the Ammo late war German colors set for the top and sides with a lightened overspray in the centers of the panels, just like the hull. Vallejo red oxide primer was used on the bottom of the turret and highlighted with Ammo’s rotbrun primer color. I am probably going to display this on a diorama with the turret turned, so I figured the bottom needed to be finished as well. And I didn’t think anyone would waste time camouflaging the bottom of the turret at the end of the war, hence the primer color.

Next up was the camo colors. I recently picked up Mig’s Masking Putty and wanted to give it a try. The idea for the camo was a factory-applied brown over green base that was masked with crew applied dark yellow spots.

To accomplish the pattern I basically created some shapes with the putty and sprayed the Red Brown within the masked area. I went slowly, basically painting each different brown section one at a time over a few nights. I read some advice somewhere that basically said when you paint camouflage, you don’t have to do it all at once. Really sound advice. So I basically sprayed, then evaluated then re-masked and adjusted, fixed the over spray, etc etc until I was happy with the brown. Then I applied the dark yellow freehand. After that was down I touched up the yellow with the green and brown. I ended up with something I am pretty happy with. The Brown and Yellow are also from the Ammo Late War German colors set.

The gun barrel was painted in Ammo’s gray base, which comes in their German armor interiors set, to mimic the high heat gray primer used on gun barrels.

After the paint sat for a couple of days, I sprayed a coat of future to prep for decals and weathering. I used the kit crosses, which are just black outlines in this case and a set of black numbers outlined in white from another kit I have in the stash. After the decals sat overnight I sealed them with another coat of future.

The kit decals seem to be slightly opaque in the clear part, which is odd. Hopefully subsequent weathering with help blend that in, if not, I’ll fix it a different way.

Next step – weathering! Wish me luck!

Mike

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 21 Aug 2017 23:52 #40

h800258d_2017-08-21.jpg

Ian.
  • ij001
  • ij001
  • Group Captain
    Group Captain

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 22 Aug 2017 00:35 #41

New at this and learning a lot from this thread. Looking forward to weathering the hull and painting the tools on the tank.
  • Robertp
  • Robertp
  • Squad Leader
    Squad Leader

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 22 Aug 2017 06:46 #42

Just awesome!...superb painting job :good

Luiz
  • lupanzer
  • lupanzer
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 22 Aug 2017 08:50 #43

:soldier
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 22 Aug 2017 09:00 #44

Lookin' good, Mike! :thumbsup
  • Iron Mike
  • Iron Mike
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
I dream of a world where a chicken can cross the road without having its motives questioned.

What we do in life will echo in eternity.

IPMS Plastic Surgeon (satellite member)

AMPS member

Resident Curmudgeon

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 22 Aug 2017 21:54 #45

ij001 wrote:
h800258d_2017-08-21.jpg

Ian.

Aww shucks :blush:
Thanks Ian!

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 22 Aug 2017 21:57 #46

Robertp wrote:
New at this and learning a lot from this thread. Looking forward to weathering the hull and painting the tools on the tank.

The weathering will be a challenge for me, I'm still a novice when it comes to that stage. Just going to do a lot of research and go slow and deliberate.

Thanks for looking in!

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 22 Aug 2017 21:57 #47

lupanzer wrote:
Just awesome!...superb painting job :good

Luiz

Thanks Luiz, I appreciate it!
:drinks
Last Edit: 22 Aug 2017 21:58 by Skinny_Mike.

MIG Late King Tiger (July 1945) 22 Aug 2017 21:58 #48

moon puppy wrote:
:soldier

Thanks for looking in Bob!
Time to create page: 0.327 seconds