• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 scale 110-foot Commercial Freezer Trawler

Rhino

Super Moderator
With the glacial sales of the 1/700 Shrimp Boat set, there isn't one good reason to make a Kit of this kind of commercial fishing vessel. EXCEPT I thought She looked really cool tied up to the wharf, and had to make one. (y)

Then, as has happened before, I thought "Why make just One?" These are pictures of the kit's Master.
There I go again! As if I didn't have enough to do! :bang head
h5aeaca0.JPG

Deckhouse with p/e bridge winders, portholes, hand rails, and hull rub rails.
h3de82d3.JPG

Head-on view of the Bridge

heebb825.JPG

Overhead view of the main deck, deck house roof, freezer hatches and winches & motors. Mr Clownie may get himself caught, frozen and delivered to Star-Kist!! :rotf

hfcbcbf6.JPG

As if...................... :gogo :drool
Another good day for deck details!
Invisible brass wire bollards, equipment boxes, and fresh water barrels on the after deck.
Experimenting with mast dimensions. This hard-workin' Lady is a steel hulled, twin screw, 110' Trawler. There is a LOT more mast, stanchions, radars, radio whips, booms & yardarms to figure out.

Fine job so far Rhino. It's great to see someone making a model of a working boat. Now you need a couple buckets of fish guts sloshed over the deck to really set her off. ;)

h29ef468_2018-03-25.JPG

Molding has begun! In good company, 1/700 waterline Jenny II's suitably cluttered hull & deck house went under the RTV this morning! Thanks to Don & Ronnie Schutz for providing recycled clear plastic mold boxes.
It was neat to peek through the SIDES of the mold box to see if everything was aligned and properly spaced.

Thanks for lookin' in!

h9106b1a.JPG

he6ffb09.JPG

Spank-brand new casting of the 110-footer. A lot of the stuff I learned making Masters for TLAR's 1/700 Shrimp boat set went into the Freezer Trawler. As much of the dinky resin details are cast on the deck. This hard workin' Lady even has the bow guide for the Danforth anchor in place. Fish guts, comin' right up!!

I could not be happier with this mold/casting! I used every gram of RTV mold material there was in the House!
More material gets here from Reynolds tomorrow!

h6a747de.JPG

I made a mold & casting of this box/rack/cage too. It just looked cool, so I womped one up. I have NO Idea what to do with it. :hmmm :idonno :silly: :gogo
See what happens when a Boy is left to make whatever Toy he wishes?! :rotf
Time to celebrate!! :drinks

Thanks for lookin' in!! Thanks also for being part of the Fun!!

hdebda77.JPG

Pour stubs removed. Sanding begins on the major resin parts of the Big Trawler.
Stay tuned for more developments!
:salute

I took that picture, above, on a visit to Darien Georgia, from the pier outside of Skipper's Fish camp.
h8d15269.jpg

Or maybe this Trawler. I like the red scheme too!

hace960f.JPG

Yep! Red Day today! I'm thinking the 110-foot Trawler will be an add on to TLAR's popular 1/700 Shrimpin' boat set.
Or maybe included in the unreleased 1/700 Small Boat set. :hmmm

NO! I haven't figured out the decals yet. The Bridge winders also need more finesse.

Thanks for looking in!
:salute

Back