• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Monogram box scale Cessna 182

chrispisme

Pulled the trigger on something I've been wanting to try for a while. Converting a box scale Monogram Cessna 180 into a Cessna 182, Other than moving the main gear back and adding a nose wheel...shouldn't be too hard...riiight?
Well, I started cutting plastic last night.
The untouched part so far.

the crown will have to come off the roof
h54abc8f.JPG

removing the working door parts
h42bf71b.JPG

hdccec71.JPG

filling gaps etc. on the seats
h4878961.JPG

Monogram box scale Cessna 180

You're off to a fine start, but you're a braver man than I am, Gunga Chris.
Will this be the old straight tail or will you commit insanity and sweep the tail, and add the rear window? I hope you have plenty of sandpaper for those steamship rivets.

Wait a sec, didn't you rework one of those into a 185 some years back?

Thanks James!
I'm nowhere near the scratch builder you are, I'm leaving the tail straight, she'll be a 1957ish 182
You're correct, I've converted not one, not 2 but 3 of these things. I left one conversion as a 180. I must have shown them here somewhere no?
I gave the first 185, on wheel skis, to an old boss (from my youth at Athabaska Airways, who passed away a few years ago...don't know whatever became of the model)
You're also right about the rivets, there are, as well, sink marks and mold seams on the model but the nice thing about this old silver plastic...you can sand the bijeebers out of it and still see the surface detail, it'll be smooth as glass but still looks like it's riveted and panel lined...which makes it great for restoring said panel lines.
Thanks for taking the time to look in and drop me a line!

Go for it, I couldn't tell a 180 form a 181 so who's to say other than James...:popcorn

180?...181? Reminds me of a line from "Cheers" back in the 1970's...How you gonna kill him? I'll use a .46...don't you mean a .45?...45-46 whatever it takes...
Now back to my project.
I've sanded the fuselage boiler rivets down, as James "Stoneboat" suggested, a fairly involved job. But now done, the panel lines and rivets are still visible in the silver plastic.

hf2b57d0.JPG

I've also removed the crowned roof to be replaced with flat sheet plastic

ha1fc4bd.JPG

Great minds must think alike. I've built two of those, one on wheel skis and the other on floats. On both I did the same as you, cut off the roof and replaced it. (y)

Yes, that cottage style roof really has to go! Glad to be in good company!
I also carved away the...whatever it is on the cabin floor and added some trim wheels and a flap actuator handle. A new instrument panel is also in the works and a rear bulkhead to close it all in.
The unmodified cabin floor
h2defcf0.JPG

the bits added
hde483ce.JPG

The kit panel
h37a6e17.JPG

a more prototypical panel
h8e3e661.JPG

A template for the rear cabin bulkhead (in paper)
hdbe9e76.JPG

Thanks!
Definitely not a mainstream kit or subject but, I like these types of things...In my opinion there should be aa bunch more civil light aircraft kits...but that's just my opinion...

I'm with you on the more civil aircraft thing, Chris.
As for this kit, always a favorite for me because a J-3 Cub and a 1953 180 were what I learned to fly in.

1505CSCKsm.jpg

This also a 1953 180, my uncle Jim owned this one, and it had a much nicer paint scheme.

N2238CDavissm.jpg

Thanks for looking!
I appreciate the input as well!
I've spent a few hours while the better half was out to a concert adding some bits and pieces to the Cessna. I had to shim the doors for a better fit and then began work on the panel. The panel is almost complete other than radio details and pitch and throttle knobs.
Body work:
hb28da29.JPG

panel under construction
hf3848fe.JPG

hd1dec57.JPG

h65649c6.JPG

And yes...Little of this will be seen when the fuselage is closed up!
puttering in the hobby room will continue after a brief pause for the weekend.

You noticed that did you?
Yaaaaaaa....that’s .020” strip, the other side took two of those to get a “close” fit. So that’s .040” on the other side!
If I’d have been thinking more clearly I’d have simply traced the fuselage door opening onto some sheet plastic and had a door that fit much quicker

Back