• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Broplan 1/72 vac. ATR 42 300

chrispisme

Already in progress...If anyone wants to see more I can go back and post more images from the beginning.
At this time the fuselage and flying surfaces are all stuck together, a bit of a check revealed insufficient nose weight...Hmmmm :hmmm
hb5be96b.JPG

h1f8eac8.JPG

hd5e5ad5.JPG

working on the sponson, adding landing light tunnels and A/C ducting ports
hcf2aa4d.JPG

ha64781d.JPG

Thanks for looking!
A bit more work under the model...
trying to make the gear opening a bit more realistic...not so much accurate just busier.

h2c134eb.JPG

h8eb7aa3.JPG

h3df4c55.JPG

h4fdd6ab.JPG

h0e921a0.JPG

Thanks a lot!!
Took a lot of nerve and tongue biting to get this far on this one. I'm hoping I'm over the hump now with fuselage closed up and wings on. Arctic Decals is working on the livery for it. I was hoping to have and build the resin kit from Scratchaeronautics but they've apparently closed up shop...with my pre-payment for a couple of kits in pocket. Live n learn.

Great job Chris.
What company, did Time Air operate those? Inter Canadian ran them into here, out of Montreal. As a pax I always preferred the ATR to the -8. I found it quieter, and the InterCan ones had the Recaroh leather seats, better than the upholstered 2x4's of Jazz. When we redid the interior of our F-27, Field Calgary supplied the same seats.

Hi James
Thanks for the encouragement.
This will be in my employers colors, Westwind Aviation. I have another in the stash, a 72-500 that I also plan on cutting down to a 42-300 as well (thinking I would bugger this one up, I bought 2...smrt hey?) But now Broplan does a 42 series so maybe I'll just order that and save a bunch of cutting and splicing.
The surface of the kit is not as smooth as I would have expected, I'm using Tamiya putty like an auto body filler, filling dents and scratches.
If all goes well I may build 3 of the 4 that are still in service, we lost C-GWEA in December 2017 at Fon Du Lac Sask.

Thanks for the encouragement!
I never held much hope for the Broplan injected parts right from the day I opened the box, disappointed but determined to try I will likely not use any of the molded parts opting to scratch most (all?) detail parts. With that in mind and another kit in the stash, I'm going to make resin casts of anything I do to save my time on the next attempt.
The Broplan parts tree;
hae0530d.JPG

Using my own pictures from work and measurements from the included parts (accuratish?) I've begun by making my own flap actuators;
h30baf96.JPG

h7529bc6.JPG

Thanks for looking

Thanks for looking
Yes, a lot of work...or time at the bench learning new methods...I'm trying to keep a positive outlook here. I also agree with the comment that those are blobs! They could've been better served in resin than injected plastic which look kind of like wheels props and...stuff!

Blobs indeed. :blink

I built a couple of Execuform vac Bellanca Aircruisers for my friend in Whitehorse a few years ago. There was stuff in those kits I had no idea what it was. I made new engine cowlings from a cigar tube, just for starters.

Thanks for the encouragement, I've started trimming the other Broplan ATR from it's sheets (bought 2 in case I ruined one) doesn't look like I'm going to bugger this one up completely so I am going to try building the other one as well...maybe.
I spent he weekend (rainy long weekend) making molds and casts of the parts I want in resin (wheels flap actuators, engines props...etc) some will need work some are perfect.
Here's a picture of the engine I used as a master for casting now being fitted out on the model, the prop is borrowed from the Revell? 1/72 CL 415 but, a perfect fit on the ATR
Thanks for looking
h9cbd0ea.JPG

Stalled now, once again. This is where I left off
h18b4c75.JPG

and now I'm taking a break with a 1/24 Hellcat
h37cf178.JPG

I may stall on this one as well and just go to work putting a ZZP supercharger system on my Monte Carlo. (1:1)

Back