• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Maddog Manufacturing Production in 2019

Duke Maddog

Hello all and Happy New Year!

I got an early start on building this year so here is the latest work I got done. Before I do that, here's a couple pics of the projects I've got on my workbench at the start of the year:

Workbench_Jan2019_I.jpg

Workbench_Jan2019_II.jpg

Now at least one of those got done already, but here's the progress I made on everything first. I'll start with my aircraft...

On the C-118, I got the decal fixed that had been broken. This was then clearcoated with a gloss to protect it from being broken again. Here's what it looked like:

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XXXIXb~0.jpg

And here's the decal after the fix:

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XXXIXc.jpg

After that dried, I decided to remove all the window masking before moving on:

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XXXIXd.jpg

Once done there, I turned it over and installed the landing gear:

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XXXIXe.jpg

After that, I had to complete the propellers. I did that and added them to the model. It is now finished and can be seen in the Aircraft Forums...

Moving on to my armor, I decided to move on another of my armor shelf queens. This is the Russian BREM vehicle and I finished adding the tracks to the other side:

WIP_Russian_BREM_X.jpg

After they dried, I added the side skirts to this. They needed quiet a bit of filler between sections given how poorly this was molded:

WIP_Russian_BREM_XI.jpg

WIP_Russian_BREM_XII.jpg

Finally I added most of the remaining fiddly bits and the boom crane. This beastie is ready for paint now:

WIP_Russian_BREM_XIII.jpg

WIP_Russian_BREM_XIV.jpg

After all that, I was ready to start something newer and easier. I pulled out one of my Christmas presents and got started on it. This is the Russian T-28 tank that got started thus. They have a solid run of tracks molded with the wheels on. I just had to add the other side of the wheels:

WIP_Russian_T-28_Tank_I.jpg

After I got done with that, I snapped them onto the lower hull. What a great fit! This was so easy:

WIP_Russian_T-28_Tank_II.jpg

This tank comes with suspension covers so I snapped them on to see how they fit. This is gonna be a breeze to paint:

WIP_Russian_T-28_Tank_III.jpg

Next I started on the upper hull, adding most of the detail parts to it:

WIP_Russian_T-28_Tank_IV.jpg

As that was drying, I started on the main turret, getting almost all of it done:

WIP_Russian_T-28_Tank_V.jpg

I then got half of the secondary turrets done and a few other little details and then snapped this whole thing together to see how it's gonna look. This is all of eleven minutes of work:

WIP_Russian_T-28_Tank_VI.jpg

WIP_Russian_T-28_Tank_VII.jpg

Wow, that went fast so I pulled out another Christmas present; the Japanese Chi Nu medium tank. I started with the wheels and tracks since this one also had a full run of tracks molded onto half the road wheels:

WIP_Japanese_Chi_Nu_I.jpg

Then I added the suspension parts to the lower hull:

WIP_Japanese_Chi_Nu_II.jpg

Next was to add most of the detail parts to the upper hull. I didn't even take it off the sprue; that made for easier handling:

WIP_Japanese_Chi_Nu_III.jpg

After assembling the turret, I snapped this whole thing together to see how it's gonna look. Here's another six or seven minutes of work:

WIP_Japanese_Chi_Nu_IV.jpg

WIP_Japanese_Chi_Nu_V.jpg

Finally, I started a model for the Cauldron of War Campaign here on the Alliance. This is a resin hull and turret conversion set that is enhanced by parts from the Dragon kit. I decided to skip the running gear and go straight to adding most of the parts to the upper hull. You can see one of the hatches got lost so I added one from the Dragon kit:

WIP_CauldronofWar_II.jpg

Next I added that big honking gun to the turret. What a nose:

WIP_CauldronofWar_III.jpg

Now there is the whole thing sitting together so far. I haven't got the engine deck glued down yet. I'm trying to find out if it is the right one:

WIP_CauldronofWar_IV.jpg

That's all I have so far. There's no instruction sheet with this conversion set for me to determine where some of the extra resin parts go so I'll have to start looking at more pics of this tank. This build might take awhile.

Well, that's all I got done on my first day of the New Year. I hope you enjoyed the Grand re-opening again. Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Mark, those look like a fantastic start to 2019. I think that they will be great little additions to the armories of each group. That T-28 is gonna be an interesting vehicle when you are finished with it. And that Japanese tank is certainly different from others I've seen in books and magazines. Really good work there man. Happy New Year and may you have continued success in your projects.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I am enjoying these little vehicles, especially since they are so easy and fast to build. I gotta see what else I can get done. Thanks again for stopping in and commenting.

Way to start the new year Mark.
That will be 5 done by the second week of January.
Keep that pace up and you will make your 40+ kits this yeatrs
Frank
(y) (y) (y)

Thanks Frank! I do hope to maintain this pace for a while. I really want to clear a lot of empty boxes away.

Stay tuned, more to come!

This past weekend was Hobby Day weekend so, combined with what I got done during the week, I managed to make quite a bit of progress. I didn't work on too many models so in that respect, this is a short update. It's gonna be long update because of all I did on each one I worked on. Okay, enough chit chat, on to the tour of the plant....

I'll start with a couple shelf queens I've had sitting for six months to five years. This first one is my Israeli F-16I Sufa. I finally painted the pilots, closed up the fuselage and added the wings and horizontal stabilizers:

WIP_Israeli_F-16I_Sufa_VI.jpg

After that, I added the vertical stabilizer with the spine and then went to close up the cockpit with the canopy so I could mask it and have it ready for paint. That's when I found this: numb nuts in the rear seat was sitting too high!

WIP_Israeli_F-16I_Sufa_VIa.jpg

Hasegawa is notorious for molding seats that are too tall for the cockpits they go in. So, I pulled out the pilot and seat and cut 1/8" off the bottom of the seat:

WIP_Israeli_F-16I_Sufa_VIb.jpg

Once I replaced the seat and pilot, I test fit the canopy again:

WIP_Israeli_F-16I_Sufa_VIc.jpg

Success!

Here is the plane with the wings, tail, conformal fuel tanks and canopy on:

WIP_Israeli_F-16I_Sufa_VII.jpg

I then turned it over and added the underwing pylons:

WIP_Israeli_F-16I_Sufa_VIII.jpg

Once I sand smooth that goubash on the intake, this bird will be ready for paint.

Moving on to the next Shelf Queen (and yes, it is capitalized because this beastie has been sitting on my bench for three years!) I finally did what I've been needing to do for awhile. The booster rockets needed to be masked so the stripes on them could be painted. I also needed to paint the tail, so that got masked too:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIXa.jpg

I used up all my Tamiya 1/2" tape on that.

Using my trusty Sotar 20/20 airbrush, I painted all the black, red and yellow stripes and the yellow boxes at the top of the boosters:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIXb.jpg

While that was drying, I decided to assemble all the possible payloads for the shuttle. I am hoping to put down a full display with labels showing everything the shuttle can carry in front of the model itself. Here they are all assembled. Gotta look them up to see how they should be painted:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_Payload_I.jpg

While that was drying, I also painted the grey on the leading edge of the shuttle wings and then removed all the masking on the shuttle itself and snapped the tail in place. You can also see a preview of the lower sections of the boosters with their masks removed:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIXc.jpg

Here are the boosters all unmasked:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIXd.jpg

But wait, I still needed to paint the vertical channels as well, so I masked off the channels for paint:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIXe.jpg

...and then painted them, removing the masks when they were dry:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIXf.jpg

Then I finished the boosters; assembling them fully. These things are tall!

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIXg.jpg

Finally I cemented both booster assemblies to the main fuel tank, completing that whole portion of the model:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIXh.jpg

That box fan behind this assembly is a 24" box fan so you can get a general idea of how huge this beastie is. Now all I have to do is decal the shuttle and then it will be ready for mounting on the fuel tank.

Only one problem though: the forward bracket that holds the front part of the shuttle to the fuel tank broke off and went missing. It is a V-shaped part that I need to find. If however, anyone has a 1/72 scale Monogram Space Shuttle they don't intend to mount on the boosters and fuel tank, I'll be willing to buy that part from you. Please let me know.

Moving on, I managed to get some painting done on a couple of my armor models. I did this in between assemblies and painting on the Space Shuttle to give myself a break on it. First I painted the Russian BREM so that godawful white is now all covered up:

WIP_Russian_BREM_XV.jpg

WIP_Russian_BREM_XVI.jpg

Just gotta detail paint that and then add clearcoat so I can attach the decals to it. Meanwhile, since I had the green out, I also sprayed the T-28:

WIP_Russian_T-28_Tank_VIII.jpg

WIP_Russian_T-28_Tank_IX.jpg

Finally, I started adding the wheels and tracks to the SG-122 gun. I got one side done and even started the other side with the tracks added to the drive sprocket for the other side, but I decided to stop here:

WIP_Soviet_SG-122_VI.jpg

Yeah, those tracks were tough, I'd had enough that day. I might get the other side on later this week.

After all that struggle with those tracks, I wanted something easy to build. So, I pulled out one of my three Trumpeter SA-6 Gainfuls and got started on it. This is after five minutes of work:

WIP_German_SA-6_Gainful_I.jpg

WIP_German_SA-6_Gainful_II.jpg

I found out later that the elevated piece on the back should be flat. I found that out when I finished building the launching assembly and missiles and added the whole assembly to the hull:

WIP_German_SA-6_Gainful_III.jpg

Once I paint this, I'll be marking it in West German markings to signify a vehicle that was added to the Bundeswehr after the unification. The other two I will make Russian and either Syrian or Egyptian.

The last update I have is out at the shipyards. I painted all the detail parts that I had added to the Izumo earlier:

JMSDF_Izumo_SPAM_Review_XVIIc.jpg

JMSDF_Izumo_SPAM_Review_XVIId.jpg

Here's a close up shot of the island details:

JMSDF_Izumo_SPAM_Review_XVIIe.jpg

After that, I clearcoated this for decals. You can't really see it too clearly in this pic, but it is shiny and ready for decals:

JMSDF_Izumo_SPAM_Review_XVIIf.jpg

Okay, that's all I got for now. I hope you enjoyed the tour. Stay tuned, there's more to come; especially since it's supposed to rain for the next three days! Yay!!!

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Thanks Bob! They were so easy to do; I'm wondering why I didn't take care of that sooner. I do like how they look.

Mark,
Boosters looking good.
The armor is a nice break from masking - painting - masking - painting.
I now have 1/72 scale armor sitting out ready for building when I need a break.
Frank
(y)

Thanks Frank, and welcome to My World! LOL! :woohoo: (y)

The armor is indeed a great break from all that extra masking and painting, and I actually believe that I get more done because I switch back and forth.

Stay tuned, more to come.

Thanks Kenny! I'm glad you stopped in.

Thanks Dave! They are very huge and I'm very happy with how they turned out.

Thank you Luiz!

Ian, thanks! I figure the more I get done now, they further ahead I am when life throws wrenches in my path further down the year.

Thanks EJ! Mine seems to be going well so far. I do need to get decals on that bird farm. Then I can move forward to the photo-etch. Now if I can only re-raise the mojo to do all this!

Back