• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adhesives from my early days of modeling

Old Dog

I recently was sorting through a small parts cabinet that I used mostly for items relating to my days in HO model trains and ran across the following...
glues.jpg

I haven't used any tube glues since the early 70's. The Revell Cement is still sealed and the contents is still pliable, the Ambroid I never used on plastic models, in the days before super glues were readily available it was the go to glue when you needed to glue metal parts to wood or wood to wood when you wanted a quicker bond than with traditional wood glues. The 60 on the front I'm sure was the price. The Pactra Cement still had a plastic cap on it but it crumbled when I tried to twist it off.

On another note I have used Testors liquid in a bottle for years whenever I needed more wiggle time than I get with the water thin glues. I recently ran out and picked up a new bottle at the local hobby shop. First time I went to use it I noticed it was way thinner than the old stuff. When I compared labels the new bottle had an XT after the product number which I assume means Xtra thin. It was all the shop had so now I'm wondering if the older thicker bodied stuff is still being made ??

I miss my Tenax7 !

Most of what I used as a kid was the Testor's red and white tube glue. Then there was Duco cement in a green and yellow tube that was like the Ambroid tube glue in many aspects.

When I got back into modeling about 10 years ago I got some Tenax7R and Ambroid Pro Weld. Turns out they have the same ingredients and seem to work about the same. Then I remembered Weld-On3 which also has about the same ingredients as the other two. I switched to that and have not had any regrets. It also helps when I can buy a 16 ounce can for $13.

I make a small hole in the metal seal top and use a long glass syringe to transfer it to an old Ambroid Pro Weld bottle and then keep the lid on the can on TIGHT. Keeps well and works great as well as being cost effective.

When Tenax7 became unobtainium I tried Tamiya thin but it never seemed to provide as strong of a bond as Tenax I tried several others but ended up going with MEK. To me it seems to work as well as Tenax and the gallon can I got at the big box store will likely last me the rest of my life. :eek:ldguy I use a syringe to transfer it to old Tenax bottles I had saved.

I will say, after having reviewed it last week that AMMO by Mig's Thin Cement is very similar to a Tenax or Ambroid and does a pretty great job in cementing things together. Definitely has a Tenax smell to it as well...

MA1_001.JPG

The order of preference -
Tamiya Green Cap - brush
Méthylène Chloride - Touch-n-Flow #1
Testors Model Master - tracks or tacking prior to using the aforementioned.
Tenax 7R - with Touch-n-Flow #2
Testors Liquid Cement
Plastruct Bondene - when using Plastruct ABS.
Plastruct Weldene - when building with my son.
Not shown and no longer used, Tamiya Orange Cap

Bought and used, much better than the nail polish thinner which I bought and found to be useless.

AmazonBatteriesCement.JPG

I don't recall who suggested it but this was not worth it, my wife gladly accepted it the thinner though:

SallyBeautySupply.JPG

Regards,

Yes, I do remember the non-toxic, lemony junk Testors called glue. Wasn't worth a flip.

It didn't. Smelled good though.

I was still getting my allowance back then, learning to budget. :rotf A small drug store beside the grocery we went to, sold Testors orange tubes for 19 cents each, a six cent per savings! I took four tubes to the register, the druggist wouldn't sell them to me. :huh: So I had to go back, with my mom, so I could complete the purchase. :mpup
Go figure.

I remember back in the 70's when super glue came out. It was so nice not to have to scrap the paint off before gluing. :eek:ldguy Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

Back