• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

2020 Plastic Surgeons

Rhino

Super Moderator
Well, Model Maniacs, IPMS Plastic Surgeons kick off 2020 with our club Christmas party and gift exchange!
Hold on to your Lug Nuts!!

h44671c2.JPG

h0ddf8a5.JPG

h480d2e5.JPG

h30a5645.JPG

We gathered at Old Chicago in Ankeny, Iowa. Our experienced server Jana did a fine job of hustling orders, delivering drinks and entrees. Two younger servers helped deliver beverages but beat a hasty (skeered!) retreat from our celebration space. Among the members in attendance were Kurt Young, with his Wife, Tootie, Treasurer George Stevens, Don Barry, Myself and my Sweetie Teresa, Joey, Bob Maloy, The other Chris and his wife, Matthew and his young, brave, sweetheart, Kevin Nelson, Ross Petra, President Barry Rolow, Nathan, Ty, and Trennis Stevens, Jamie Sheppard, Dave Bos, Mike Rasmussen, Joachim Lotz & Aimee (Webmistress) Wright and it was a real treat for Mark Stocker to join us for our Club's Christmas Fun!

h531a0f7.JPG

I was honored & humbled to receive a special Christmas gift from tow of my respected, dear friends.
A parcel was sent from Mike to Don.
[attachment=43274]h5f34a8f.JPG
The other side of the box said "NOT THIS SIDE"! :rotf

h531a0f7.JPG

With instructions.
Evidently Master Barry accepted his "Mission". He completed this figure:

h1df48c0.JPG

h1df48c0.JPG

hb9148e8.JPG

h3efb338.JPG

God's Holy Trousers!! Danny Dravitz! Evidently I have been paid a huge compliment by of my 2 good friends, who believe Sir Sean Connery and I resemble one another. Ironically, during No-Shave-November I nearly wore this facial hair. I could not be more humbled or pleased by this unexpected bit of model subterfuge!

In additional Club news, I nominated Joe and Aimee as dual Surgeon Of The Year Award recipients some months back. Joachim, for his herculean efforts to promote, organize,and conduct our last two SurgiCon contests.
Aimee, for her work on our web-page, all other Club I/T work and for tabulating and organizing our Contest rewards ceremony for me to announce and entertain our entrants. Joe also does his best to choose the proper Award to hand out while my XM-134-like delivery awards contestants that excel at our annual show.

hc135790.JPG

h523a9d6.JPG

Evidence before us suggests Plastic Surgeons membership agreed with my nomination.
I love it when a Plan comes together!

Thanks for looking in! Stay tuned for more model news from the Frosty sleet-stricken Prairie!
:rotf :yipee :rotf :yipee :zen :coolio :gogo
:salute :eek:ldguy :pilot

That was a great movie btw.

Feel like we were there for the meeting, such detailed reporting (y)

Here are the proofs Don sent prior to the presentation.

he834d9b.png

h59d6135.png

h2786e7d.png

h152c7d3.jpeg

There's more to the story about The Man Who Would Be King, but it's better told over libations.

:drinks

23 January 2020 Meeting!
It's been snowing here. I said out loud, several times during our recent fairer winter weather "Winter will come. Make no mistake. It will have teeth & claws when it does!" For the last 6 days we've had "Wintry Mix". Freezing rain, sleet, snow a-plenty, freezing fog (wouldn't freezing fog be a Solid?) as if Muther Nature remembered winter here and said "Hold My beer. Watch THIS!"
Undaunted by the Elements, our merry band met last Thursday at Hobbytown in Ankeny. 12 Members and 2 Guests!
Jack & Terri. Terri is a retired US Army Helicopter nurse. My thanks to Terri for keeping all those ailing egg-beaters in the Air.

h8403091.JPG

hf63cdbd.JPG

h63847c5.JPG

hc18a172.JPG

h54eb4d2.JPG

hcf3443a.JPG

h046c30c.JPG

Bob Bidler appeared bearing 3 completed models. The Freedom Models JMSDF "Godzilla Killer" NIKE missile, a cute little Copper State 1/35 Armored Car and a 1/48 Fokker DVIXX-I-XX-I-PPI in Dutch markings.
The Japanese are the only Nation to use the NIKE in combat. (Even if they only shot them at Bruce Lee's rubber Monster suit!)

h8d3c862.JPG

Nate Stevens' snap-tite Monogram 1/72 B-26A Marauder. The only early Marauder in Man Scale! An old Favorite of mine.

h8acbe91.JPG

hf6f84b8.JPG

Find also, a classic Matchbox 1/76 M-7 Priest sans cannon, 2 Dragon Sturmtigers, a pair of newer Dragon New-Boy-fahrt-zoogs and an Italeri Horsa MK. IV glider, all in 1/72 scale. Nathan, being the professional he is, perfectly masked the D-Day stripes on the Horsa. In all likelihood the British probably applied them with a broom and a lot less precision back in 1944.

h51df797.JPG

My own 1/72 AZ Models He-280-V3T See Banschee and 1/720 Graf Zeppelin 1946-something made their meeting debut this night. I ratted out AZ's horrible, greasy, plastic. I hope their sales plummet! :bang head

h4acea41.JPG

h08e1664.JPG

Joachim brings a 10-ton MAN Bundeswehr truck, a 1/48 Trumpeter Curtiss Hawk 81A-2 along with is finished T-62 with ERA. The AK rain streak weathering seems not to have worked as intended. Still a cool modern-ish Armor model.
Joe was concerned about the color of the P/E seat harness in an AVG P-40. Tan or green-ish? I suppose a well-worn Flying Tiger might not worry over much about the colors.
Herr Lotz likes his Trumpy kits.

As an American model kit manufacturer (tee-hee!) I try not to spend my $$ with companies that have no respect for copyright law.

h13ae414.JPG

Treasurer George bought one of these. An interesting, esoteric choice! YIKE!!
That's all for now.
Thanks for looking in! Over to you Mike!

Looks like everyone had fun, some unusual kits for sure! Thanks for the report, I miss coming to the meetings! (y)
:drinks

Jamie Sheppard made a request for an IAW Graphics project. He heeds decals for his 1/25 model of Uncle's '70-ish Pulling Truck. Given the proper artwork, We will be glad to oblige! :yipee :drinks

5 March 2020 meeting post.
Weather is being to become milder and the days are getting longer here in central Iowa. Even after a busy work day, Teresa and I attend this night's gathering of Surgeons.

h508fa2d.JPG

h89c5b43.JPG

From his new haircut, it appears Ross may have seen JoJo Rabbit. "Zis is not a good time to be a Nazi."
hc0db39a.JPG

Discussion about our upcoming April 4th model show leads off the meeting. Only 4 weeks away!! Yippee! Awards are being ordered. Preparations are being made. Raffle prizes are accumulating!

haa66e47.JPG

In the past our group had decided the model fun came first in our meetings. the format seems to have reverted to our former, less personally pleasing, "Business first, Models afterwards" format. Whaddyagonnado? :facepalm

h76c18a5.JPG

Joachim Lotz current works; Trumpeter 1/48 Curtiss Hawk 81-A2, in AVG colors, Bandai's 1/48 Star Wars Imperial AT-ST scout (Chicken) Walker, Takom's 1/72 Russian 10-ton tactical tractor and Revell Ag's 1/35 Bundewehr MAN 10-ton Tactical truck.

Joe isn't happy with the soft detail of the Revell Ag kit. He comments the bed is warped and ejector pin marks are prominent on the truck frame.

hfffc266.JPG

The Bandai chicken walker's turret has a full interior but with the front blast plates and hatch closed all that nice detail is invisible.

Ross says the green on the Trumpy Curtiss Hawk may well be appropriate. This issue of the venerable P-40 is less fun to build than other model manufacturer's kits may be. Fit issues plague this model.

Joe likes the little Takom Truck with nothing but good things to say about detail and fit in 1/72 scale.
You cain't see in nur out of nun of them winders. Instrument Training versions of all all ob' 'em?

h7886fb5.JPG

"Imperial Bakayaro! No see, no Shoot!" Godzilla fears NOT the Scout Walker!

h66ec9bf.JPG

"Hmmmm!!!! No taste like chicken, Joe! Aiiee-Yaa!!"

h76f6020.JPG

hd8e46d0_2020-03-07.JPG

hc69e64f.JPG

hb5364a1.JPG

In 1/35 scale, Ray Powers is working on his Tam-Gon or Drag-Miya Tiger I. You can tell a Man has been building Armor for a LONG time, as Franken-Panzer is made from left over Dragon & Tamiya parts from Ray's spares box.
An interesting and experienced man, our Ray-Ray.

When your 1/24 scale model Ramcharger rolls off your desk and is totaled, what do you do?

h767bacb.JPG

Our Jamie stretches the Ramcharger, adds a cargo box to the roof and reinstalls the blue-tooth speakers so the Band can play on! This model put me in mind of a Damnation Alley version of a classic Dodge truck. Jamie comments that when he was done, he put sturdier axles under Her as the weight of the sound equipment was bending his stock ones on the wheel ends.

In other impressive Car Model news...........

ha9f88eb.JPG

h8ce7915.JPG

This is a 1/24 scale model of the pulling truck Jamie's uncle used to drive. I have the privilege of plying my fledgling decal making skills to produce the "Heartbreaker" decals from the original artwork to complete this omage' to his Uncle. I am honored to attempt to do so!

hcc8b952.JPG

h3b47f11.JPG

References of the actual 396 powered truck!

That's all for now! Happy Modeling! Thanks for looking in!

Fantastic meeting! I love seeing all these great projects!

Tell Joe those 1/72 scale Takom kits are fantastic! I built the very same one he's doing now.

I proposed this today to our Club membership;

The news is loaded with doomsday "Worst Case" scenarios concerning COVID-19. Many of us are working from home, risking our health & welfare to work in the field, or sheltering in place to protect our loved ones and families from infection. Things seem grim, indeed, do they not?

My idea is to conduct a virtual Surgicon 26 online. We have trophies dated 4 April 2020. I have this year's Chuck Sterns Trophy. It's pretty, without upstaging our usual club awards overmuch, this time.

I propose we encourage modelers from all over to submit pictures of their models to be judged, for free. We could award all the dated trophies, Theme, Judges Grand and Best Of's and ship them to the winners, at the Club's expense. We can save the other awards for next year.

I propose this to the whole club, because we have to vote to spend $$. I'm calling for a vote. There won't be any entry fees. No Raffle. I confess I enjoy the shit out of "Running My Mouth" every year at our show, and I will miss that. I'm running my keyboard instead!

We can form judging teams to choose winning models. Pictures may be submitted via email or the club facehole page for consideration.
COVID19 is strangling down our Nation. We Surgeons shouldn't let it strangle down our Model Fun as well!!! We Few. We Happy few. We Band of Surgeons.

Consider this in addition. For the first time our "Satellite Members" may also enter. Mike Trent, Dave Clarke, Rodney ShackleChevy and Greg Metge (Metzger? Maloney?) may enter as well. Without spending a nickel to travel to do so.
True, we won't actually see their faces, and laugh about how they farted us awake in 2011, or recall the way I butchered the Tin-Tin's song because I didn't know what my name was.
Franz Olsen will NOT work on his model during this kind of contest.

We CAN DO something. I feel we MUST do SOMETHING to keep some kind of laughter alive during these dreary days.

I love me a Model Show. The car-ride to the Show. The music & comedy that happens underway, in any weather. The gathering of like minded modelers, geeks, weirdos, geniuses and friends, old & new alike. Watching my Sweetie win armloads of raffle prizes, lunch with dear friends somewhere really good. I like Models. Almost every kind. The laughter. The camaraderie.
I cain't hardly bear to have our Surgicon 26 "go quietly into that good night". Rage! Rage against the Virus!! (it comes from China. It won't last long!) Those of you that know me, know I don't ever surrender.
If we choose to embark on this kind of virtual show, then we can invite all of our Brethren to submit their pictures.
Teresa has pledged her Facebook liaison skill set to my idea.

Vote "HARRUMPH!" for yes if you agree.
Vote "Chris, you are full of shit!" if you disagree.

Choose. But choose wisely.

I will say this is a time for learning all sorts of new things. We had a Google Meet with 10 of us yesterday just shooting the breeze and building together...might be a way to do some sort of show as well....no idea but it's the perfect time to try new things ;)

Back