• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

2020 KC CON 14 March 2020

Rhino

Super Moderator
Low cloud and a wintry mix of snow and rain accompany the Shocking Pink Plastic Surgeons 0745 departure for KC CON.
I had emailed Steve, the club contact to see if the Show was still on given the widespread (stupid) panic over COVID-19. He assured me "It's ON!" So we went!

h3937f0f.JPG

We are in good health save that no vaccination for our mutual mild hang-over exists so far. Road conditions were fair to mildly icky. My trust Kia carries us South without hesitation or complaint. Teresa wonders if my car has enough freight capacity for all the raffle prizes She may win. We hope so!

heb10c1f.JPG

We saw this grand old Lady in the Church parking lot. You don't see many Town & Country station wagons roaming the highways these days. I think She's a 1968 model Chrysler Land Yacht.

h86421b3.JPG

Registration was brisk and friendly. I had not been to a Great Plains Modeler's show in many moons. I entered 8 models I had finished since last I was here, some 4 or 5 years ago.

h665b79a.JPG

Enter The Hallowed Hall! Vendors first, then on to the Models!!

hbe7a15b.JPG

hf321b9d.JPG

ha715157.JPG

h2e1c02e.JPG

h505fedb.JPG

h2a1af04.JPG

h9c051c5.JPG

14 Tables worth of Vendors cancelled their appearance at KC Con this year. We missed Pete Gitzel, Alan Horner and Ralph Fredlund to name a few favorite, plastic purveyor stalwarts. Club President Stuart Malone told us the church considered cancelling the show, but local authorities deemed it not large enough to present a significant health risk to attendees. In bold move, Stuart shook my hand and thanked us for driving "All that way" to KC Con. Don't tell anyone!! Madness!!

On to the Models!!
Please understand that I do not wish you to think this is a complete "report" by any means. I made several recon passes about the room and then picked out models I liked the best to go into greater detail with.
If you are disappointed I will cheerfully refund the pay I receive from M/A for my humble efforts. :stinker :gogo

h367e089.JPG

Randy Fields newest Monogram masterpiece is the 1/48 F-105D Thunderchief "Cherry Girl" at the top of the picture with the RU tail code. The rest of the story goes that this actual aircraft is the "Thud-on-a-Steek" on the way to Nebraska's SAC museum. She's being taken from Her Interstate 80 perch for restoration in the museum.
he452d5a.JPG

h90d0564.JPG

h26aa077.JPG

hd86eae9.JPG

h7d8aa96.JPG

h058a4a8.JPG

The 1/32 Dauntless was awesome! No Jap fighter in 1943 can catch the "Speedee D" once she begins her attack.
Bill Pettijohn's Revell Ag. 1/32 JU-88 won Best Aircraft. I missed taking a picture of Her.

h868e411.JPG

h332dea4.JPG

You won't often see a Soviet PE-2 climbing out in close formation with a Savage!
h460adcc.JPG

I cain't say who the modeler was that did such an impressive job on Mach 2's horrible 1/72 North American A2-J Savage. Posed in flight with crewmen in the cockpit, you can see several other of His builds about the 1/72 Aircraft display tables and they were all little jewels!

h4a5ca4c.JPG

Ship models next!
Kelly Quirk's 1/350 1945 USS Indianapolis in the foreground. Best Ship awardee! It really was cool! That Kelly, He can build about anything really well!
hdd3bc73.JPG

he61a883.JPG

Trumpeter's 1/48 scale Type VIIc U-boot with interior. The inside of the Boat seemed unrealistically roomy. That's a whole lot of Untersee Boot Theyer!
hd228b90.JPG

I liked the "Gotcha" diorama idea given my fondness for all things teeny. See the bomb leaving the 1/700 scale Liberator? Neet-o! The surface of the water seems agitated.
h5ccc61f.JPG

h515faaf.JPG

A kid I work with had a Grampa that served about the USS DeHaven in WWII. DD 805, USS Chevalier was similar to his Grandad's Vessel inn 1/350 scale.

h23ea4b8.JPG

I'm not the only Model Maniac stuck in Teeny gear! :yipee Lookee at all the dinky Airplanes!!

KC CON is put on by KC AMPS and IPMS Great Plains (Planes?) as a joint effort. Not as many Armor models are pictured as they took a while to be judged and make it on to the display tables. (Tanks, but no Tanks?!)
In any case................

he876287.JPG

Humor in modeling natural & miscellaneous models
h19ad30e.JPG

had4a99d.JPG

h0dc6d78.JPG

Eine kleine Nazi funkwagen! 1/35 Kubel with plenty of comms capability! I liked it!

hb65d947.JPG

h308ca0a.JPG

Up-sized Panzers!

Thanks Rhino, good report. Shame we're having to deal with this virus. I'm sure like all things, it will pass soon.

h015fc00.JPG

Figures.
h5809435.JPG

"Victory" theme award winning figure. If I recall correctly, Mr T. made Him. Check out those eyes! A fine job!

h732e844.JPG

hdc342db.JPG

ha59cec4.JPG

h9238881.JPG

hbcf5c44.JPG

"Shinies" and a few of our Favorites! :coolio

hc92b336.JPG

h5b5007c.JPG

Gundam entries. It is good to see younger modelers building. I understand Gundum models are top sellers in almost every retail outlet and they ain't cheap!!

h6fc1b12.JPG

We bought raffle tickets on the IMPS side only. I didn't realize KC AMPS had a separate raffle or Teresa may have tried her fortunes there as well. I found some discarded raffle tickets in the rainy parking lot after the initial raffle was done. Two more of those turned out to be winners as well in the redrawing for unclaimed prizes.
Patience, My Friends! Patience!

he0877ca.JPG

I was well pleased to win the IPMS Grand Prize model kit! Yummy new 1/48 B-17G Flying Fortress!

It's High time to make My Sweetie her favorite breakfast. :drool
Stay tuned for more Model commentary!! :frantic :tomato

If you will indulge me a moment, I have something to say.
This years Head Judge was Darren Roberts. If you haven't met Darren, you would easily find him at a model show by his ready smile and voluminous voice. Darren is an educator by trade. In his dealings with modelers you can easily see how accustomed he is to working with children of ALL vintages. He may not recall your name, but will greet you with the same cheer and overt enthusiasm He is known for.
Remember "Mr. Roberts" from the 2011 Nationals when he built and displayed Monogram 1/48 Grumman F-14 Tomcats from every US Navy Squadron?
I don't know Darren well, but I cain't imagine him with a frown on his face. I call him "Friend" and I am honored to do so. Just one of those great guys!

KC CON entertained 61 modelers with 226 entries on the IPMS Great Plains club side, PLUS KCAMPS had 26 contestants with around 40 models entered. (Thanks Steve!) We drove 5 1/2 hours to spend 6 hours at the KC CON and we were glad we did so. Both Club's hospitality was warm and welcoming.

COVID-19 was on everyone's mind. Opinions varied from "Serious, deadly virus" to "What a load of succotash!"
Few handshakes were exchanged. Awards took a different format as well. While I was sitting patiently waiting for the ceremony to begin on the gym floor, Teresa noticed Judges placing awards near the awarded models. I understand the need to take care not to promote the spread of the Chinese pestilence.

IPMS Great Plains announced the Best Of's and Theme awards. The ceremony was shortened in the interest of caution.
This too, shall pass. I believe in being aware, but not being gripped by the terror & frenzy so many of my Countrymen seem to suffer from.

One cheerful vendor customer confessed he needed more models if He was going to self-quarantine. Perhaps only partly in jest.

h20dbb1e.JPG

h0af5a5a.JPG

For myself, I won 2 Awards of note. My little 1/700 Freezer Trawler "Bitchin' Witch" as a First place in Ships, 1/401 & Smaller, and a first prize for The Samurai Bathtub in Dioramas.

h2bd45af.JPG

Chibi Godzilla made his first IPMS Show appearance. He got lots of laughs & comments, but no awards. He assumed the "(Nameless) Pout" pose before returning home. Godzilla did NOT shed any actual tears! HA!!

WE had a fine time! Thanks to Stuart, Steve, Darren, Mike and all the IPMS Great Plains members!

Thanks for enduring yet another of my never-ending model commentaries!
Have Fun!
Don't do anything stupid!
Don't get hurt!
Don't eat any uncooked Bats. Fo' Weel!!

Congrats and thanks for the report. Rumor has it another MA'r had a big day. :coolio

If you will indulge me a moment, I have something to say.
This years Head Judge was Darren Roberts. If you haven't met Darren, you would easily find him at a model show by his ready smile and voluminous voice. Darren is an educator by trade. In his dealings with modelers you can easily see how accustomed he is to working with children of ALL vintages. He may not recall your name, but will greet you with the same cheer and overt enthusiasm He is known for.
Remember "Mr. Roberts" from the 2011 Nationals when he built and displayed Monogram 1/48 Grumman F-14 Tomcats from every US Navy Squadron?
I don't know Darren well, but I cain't imagine him with a frown on his face. I call him "Friend" and I am honored to do so. Just one of those great guys!

KC CON entertained 61 modelers with 226 entries on the IPMS Great Plains club side, PLUS KCAMPS had 26 contestants with around 40 models entered. (Thanks Steve!) We drove 5 1/2 hours to spend 6 hours at the KC CON and we were glad we did so. Both Club's hospitality was warm and welcoming.

COVID-19 was on everyone's mind. Opinions varied from "Serious, deadly virus" to "What a load of succotash!"
Few handshakes were exchanged. Awards took a different format as well. While I was sitting patiently waiting for the ceremony to begin on the gym floor, Teresa noticed Judges placing awards near the awarded models. I understand the need to take care not to promote the spread of the Chinese pestilence.

IPMS Great Plains announced the Best Of's and Theme awards. The ceremony was shortened in the interest of caution.
This too, shall pass. I believe in being aware, but not being gripped by the terror & frenzy so many of my Countrymen seem to suffer from.

One cheerful vendor customer confessed he needed more models if He was going to self-quarantine. Perhaps only partly in jest.

h20dbb1e.JPG

h0af5a5a.JPG

For myself, I won 2 Awards of note. My little 1/700 Freezer Trawler "Bitchin' Witch" as a First place in Ships, 1/401 & Smaller, and a first prize for The Samurai Bathtub in Dioramas.

h2bd45af.JPG

Chibi Godzilla made his first IPMS Show appearance. He got lots of laughs & comments, but no awards. He assumed the "(Nameless) Pout" pose before returning home. Godzilla did NOT shed any actual tears! HA!!

WE had a fine time! Thanks to Stuart, Steve, Darren, Mike and all the IPMS Great Plains members!

Thanks for enduring yet another of my never-ending model commentaries!
Have Fun!
Don't do anything stupid!
Don't get hurt!
Don't eat any uncooked Bats. Fo' Weel!!

Congrats Chris, both well earned. (y)

Fantastic report! Way to go Rhino, and congrats on the awesome awards. Congrats on the score too! I look forward to seeing you start that.

Yes! Mr. T, Tell us about YOUR Awards, Suh!

Okkk!

I'm not one to bang my own drum, but to dispel any rumors here are my results. I took 4 items to the show.

1. Panzer III C/D by Miniart......AMPS Gold Axis

2. 101st Airborne Trooper by Verlinden(modified).........First Place Figure and Theme Award (Victory)

3. Fokker E.III by Airfix...................First Place 1/72 Aircraft Pre 1935

4. D7 Caterpillar(Coffee Break) by Miniart...First Place Commercial Vehicle....Best Auto....Judges Grand Award(best of show)

I hope this lays the rumors to rest.

:laugh:

Back