• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

FW-190A-6 Green 3 JG300 - Complete

Skinny_Mike

Hi guys!

Well I am going to throw my hat in on this campaign as well. Ian's artwork has really sold it for me. My plan is to do the 1/48 scale Eduard FW-190A-6. It will be marked as Werk Number 550453, Green 3 from JG300 as flown by Friedrich-Karl Muller in the fall of 1943. According to some info I found on the internet Muller is creditied with 140 victories on both the eastern and western fronts including 17 heavy bombers.

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A6-Stab-II_JG300-Green-3-WNr-550453-Freidrich-Karl-Muller-Rheine-1943-0C.jpg

All right – the kit as I said is the 1/48 scale Eduard FW-190A-6. These are considered by most people to be the best all around kits of the Butcher Bird, but they do take some effort to get them together. For aftermarket we have decals from EagleCal, Master turned brass gun barrels and closed gun doors from Quickboost.

Post_1_1~10.jpg

Here is the start up photo to show I am legit…

Post_1_2~8.jpg

I actually started working this build a little bit today, got through the wing spar and parts of the gear well, which is one of the most challenging sections, and can make or break this kit. Just need to exercise some patience.

Post_1_3~7.jpg

This is my third attempt at trying an Eduard FW190 :gogo These can be a challenge so wish me luck! This one’s for you Moon Pup! We all know how much you love these kits! :rotf :tomato :rotf :tomato :rotf :tomato

fw190a6_3.jpg

See you all soon!
Mike

Last edited:
Dear Mike.

Very, very nice choice!...good lucky my friend it is not an easy model to assembly...I took five months to complete the mine...hope that this sbs can help you in your project : https://modelersalliance.org/forum/luiz-barroso/149666-fw-190-a6-just-completed-jan-3rd

Best regards!

Luiz.

Dear Mike.

Very, very nice choice!...good lucky my friend it is not an easy model to assembly...I took five months to complete the mine...hope that this sbs can help you in your project : https://modelersalliance.org/forum/luiz-barroso/149666-fw-190-a6-just-completed-jan-3rd

Best regards!

Luiz.

Thanks Luiz - I will use your build as a guide and see how I do. I am taking this as the challenge it is and respecting the kit. I have a few other projects on the bench, so if I need to set it aside for a little bit to re-calibrate I will do that as well.

And besides - it'll be fun either way!

Hi guys! Quick update on the Butcher Bird.

As I mentioned in my fist post, I am going to take a bit of a different approach with this build. With that in mind I finished getting the wings assembled. I dry fitted and massaged the assemblies with some sanding sticks until everything fit pretty well. I did notice that my lower wing is warped at the end of the left wing, so I added some reinforcement to the top half because it is not warped. Once the halves are assembled it should correct the problem with the lower wing half.

Post_2_1~10.jpg

The wing halves were set aside. I need to paint the wheel wells RLM02 then I will add the gun barrels that run through the wheel bays. The halves will be assembled after I get the lower half attached to the fuselage. I think this will help with the alignment for the kit, but you never know.

Once the wings were done, I decided to paint the inside of the fuselage halves RLM66 for the cockpit areas then I assembled the two halves. Once this was set, I installed the front firewall and gun tray. I am hoping, again, doing it this way will help with the alignment to make sure everything goes in square. I also added a couple bits of plastic on the front of the wing fillets (the little white bits) to help keep this area aligned when I mate it to the lower wing. Once the glue dries, if they are in the way of the engine install I will just sand them off at that point.

Post_2_2~7.jpg

I set aside the fuselage, there are still some seams that need a little bit of work, turned my attention to the cockpit. I used a little bit of the photoetch but overall am not going to detail this area too much, as its very hard to see on the completed model.

Post_2_3~6.jpg

Next step is to get some paint on the sub assemblies and then go from there.

Thanks for looking!
Mike

Wow – it has been forever since I posted an update on this build. Its stalled out a little bit, just from lack of bench time, but let’s at least get you all caught up. This is gonna be a long one!

If you recall when I last posted an update, the fuselage halves were assembled and the cockpit had been assembled but wasn’t painted. Alright so from there I painted the cockpit and installed it into the fuselage. I didn’t bother weathering it too much as its really tough to see into the cockpit on this plane. Then the pit was installed and the lower wing assembly was also added. I didn’t attach the wing top halves so I could make sure I had the lower wing aligned correctly and securely attached to the fuselage. Unfortunately I didn’t take any photos of these intermediate steps. Until I was done.

Post_3_1~5.jpg

Next step was to install the gun barrels located through the landing gear bays. I used the master turned brass barrels which come in two parts. The part that extends through the wing leading edge will be installed at the end. The barrels were painted black and then rubbed with some gunmetal pigments. The color in the photo is darken then they turned out on the bench.

Post_3_2~4.jpg

Next step was to attach the top halves of the wings. I had to do a little work to support the inner edge of the wings an avoid a step at the wing root. But I got it all aligned and assembled.

Post_4_1~5.jpg

The leading edge join wasn’t the best as can be seen in this photo. Not only are there gaps but details are mis-aligned as well. Additionally there were some minor gaps at the wing root.

Post_4_2~5.jpg

After all the gaps are filled and sanded down.

Post_4_3~5.jpg

The next phase is to get the big BMW radial assembled and installed. I went a little bit out of order in this area. Eduard would have you assemble the engine, including the back and then install the mounting structure with the fully assembled engine. I was afraid that I would have a hard time accessing the mount points and aligning everything properly with the full weight of the engine. So instead, I took the three mounting parts and attached them to the firewall using Tamiya Orange Cap Cement for strength and I attached the rear engine piece. This allowed me to align everything and make sure all the joints are solid.

Post_4_4~2.jpg

While the mount was curing, I worked the engine. There are a ton of parts here. The engine halves, final drive cover rear plumbing and each exhaust pipe is a separate piece. Eduard gives you a jig to make sure the pipes are correctly aligned, but making sure the pipes are correctly routed is a challenge. Here is the engine painted up.

Post_4_5~2.jpg

Then I installed the engine.

Post_4_6~2.jpg

Next step was assembling the cowling. This part is made up of 5 separate pieces, the top gun trough, left and right sides and the front ring and front armored ring. The attachment of the cowl assembly to the lower wing area is one of the bad parts of the model. There are some fit issues here. So, I first up assembled the top gun trough piece and the right hand side to the front ring and let that piece fully cure. Once it was fully cured I started dry fitting the assembly and sanded where necessary until I had a really good fit.

Post_4_7~2.jpg

Then I added the right hand side and dry fit and sanded until that side had a good fit as well. Once I was happy with the fit, I attached it to the fuselage/wing assembly. I also added the gun mounts to the gun tray at this point.

Post_4_8~2.jpg

Next up I added the machine guns and attempted to add the gun cover. Turns out this part is meant to be open. The guns do not fit with the cover closed. I think Eduard fixed this in later version of the kit as the FW-190D-9 kit includes a small piece with just two barrels sticking out of the closed hood. My gun cover was warped and didn’t quite fit right, so I used a spare from another kit. I also assembled and installed the glare shield with the gun sight.

Post_4_9~1.jpg

Next up was the seat. I used a resin seat from Ultracast, painted and then installed. The front canopy was also masked and installed.

Post_4_10~0.jpg

On the original kit, the gun camera lens is represented by a molded on little bump on the wing leading edge. Unfortunately it was misaligned once the wings were assembled so I had to do some corrections. Sorry, I don’t have a picture of the original kit assembly. To correct this, first I drilled out the leading edge at the point of the upper half of the gun camera (gun camera is the second hole in the leading edge from the fuselage).

Post_4_12~0.jpg

Then I installed a small piece of copper tube into the hole. After I paint I will fill the tube with some clear something to represent the clear protective cover.

Post_4_13.jpg

Next up, the canopy was installed in the closed position. I left off the pilot’s armored headrest as this was removed from this particular aircraft. This was a pretty common modification at JG300 to remove a little extra weight. I also added a turned brass pitot tube from Master.

Post_4_14.jpg

After a quick wash with a little dish soap and warm water, I painted the canopy in RLM66 to get the inner frame color followed by a coat of Ammo One Shot Grey Primer.

Post_4_15.jpg

At the same time, I also assembled the external fuel tank. After cleaning up the seam I primed it at the same time as the aircraft.

Post_4_16.jpg

I tried a new pre-shade on the fuel tank. I saw this tried somewhere and thought it turned out pretty well. So I pre-shaded with two different blue shades to provide some subtle shading under the RLM76.

Post_4_17.jpg

Then I painted the tank with Mission Models RLM76. This is a different shade then what I want to use on the airframe, so it should provide some contrast.

Post_4_18.jpg

I think the dark blue worked very well, but not sure the light blue was necessary. Last thing was the propeller. I painted it up and assembled all the pieces.

Post_4_19.jpg

Next step is to check all the seams and clean up any blemishes before I start painting this butcher bird. Well, there you go, now we are all caught up. Hopefully I’ll get my next post up sooner!

Thanks for looking
Mike

Oh...it's THAT Kit!

Great job beating that into submission. It's the dreaded Pips Priller kit! :pilot

Looking really nice so far . Bought one of their 72 release last year. Hope it looks this good :woohoo:

Watching with interest . Cheers, Christian B)

Hi guys, well it has been a while for this build. Its kind of been in an off and on status with me, and as I’ve kind of stated in some other places 2019 was not a good year for me and my hobbies. But not to lament any more, there is some progress to report as I continue to move forward.

First step was to head out to the paint shed and prime the assembled kit using Ammo, gray one-shot primer followed by some pre-shading. I used back under the grays and blue under the RLM76. I also painted the lower engine panels in RLM04. There are differing views on if these were RLM04 from differing sources, but looking at my reference photos these panels appear to be a different color from the rest of the engine cowl, so I choose to paint them.

Post_5_1~6.jpg

Post_5_2~6.jpg

Next up was the camo colors. I used Gunze Mr Color Paints in the standard 74/75/76 scheme painted freehand. I am really please how this turned out. I also used some pre-cut masks and painted the upper wing crosses. This is my new plan for these as there is so much empty space, the decals are just looking for an excuse to silver on me.

Post_5_3~5.jpg

Post_5_4~4.jpg

Post_5_5~4.jpg

After a coat of future, that I let cure for a week, I applied the decals. The decals came from the kit with the exception of the Green 3 and the kill marking on the tail, which are from the Eagle Cals set.

Post_5_6~4.jpg

Post_5_7~3.jpg

Post_5_8~0.jpg

The Green 3s are two part decals and I had a little trouble getting them lined up, and they seemed to wrinkle a little bit on me. This was a little disappointing, but I’ll get over it. Once the decals had set for a couple days, I wiped down the kit to get any residue off the paint and then sealed it with another coat of future.

Pin wash will be next.

Thanks for looking
Mike

Back