• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Soonercon 2018

Paulw

We are having our second show of the year. June 9, 09:00 to 17:00. Bethany, Okla which is just north of Oklahoma City.
Put on by Soonercon IPMS.

https://calendar.ipmsusa3.org/event/soonercon-2018

If you are in the area and can make it please come on by had enter or just drop by and say hi.

I plan on going to Soonercon again this year. I went last year for the first time and really enjoyed the show. My friends John Charvat and Keith Ross talked me into helping them judge the armor entries for the AMPS part of the show which turned out to be a good thing because I learned a lot about what judges look for. Overall it was a very nice show and I plan on it being one of those that I attend each year.

If anyone is in the area that weekend, drop by and you will see some excellent models and meet some nice people.

Cheers,
James

I'll be there, James just look for the fat guy with a white goatee wearing a black shirt with TMF red logo.

Well, Soonercon 2018 was this past weekend and it was a very enjoyable show. I got to meet Paul W and several guys from his club and got to see some of my friends from Fort Sill. My friend Jon Bernstein who is also the Director of the Air Defense Artillery Museum brought his two sons who entered some armor models into the show. They actually did very well for their age in regards to their workmanship. It was good to see their enthusiasm about modeling. His youngest son even started building a car model that he had won in the raffle there at the show and got it completed. That was awesome.

I judged armor models for the AMPS side of the show. There were a lot of good models of all sorts at this show although it is one of the smaller shows I have attended. My wife even enjoyed herself at the show. Normally she is bored at them, but this one was different. That makes it better for me so I can get more stuff in the vendor area :)

How did I do? Fairly well. I entered 5 figures, 2 dioramas, 1 armored car, and 1 open top/interior armor piece. I won Third Place for my "Walking to the Battalion Aid Station, France 1944" figure, Second Place for my "We almost got overrun! Vietnam 1967" figure, and First Place and Best Figure for my "Air Defenders in Afghanistan 2014" figures. In the diorama category, I won Second Place for my "House to House" diorama and First Place for my "Young Entrepreneurs" diorama. I earned a Gold in Armored Cars for my Panhard 178 and a Gold for my M113 in the open top/Interiors category. This year my skill level was intermediate and now that I won gold, I get to advance to Advanced for next year. All in all, even if I did not win so many things it would have still been a great show.

In talking with Paul QW, I will be attending next year's Tulsa IPMS show as it will be just as fun.

Cheers,
James

Outstanding James, glad you all had a good time.

I think Paul W has met about as many MAers as anyone. Guess it pays off being centrally located. (y)

We will be happy to have you there, James and all of your styrene as well. The Theme will be a Japanese one and since it will be the 75th anniversary of D-Day ,maybe this will be a co-theme anyway, it will be a blast!

Back