• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

South Carolina AMPS IPMS show

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
The AMPS Wildcats and IPMS Swampfox clubs had another show down at the SC National Guard Armory this past Saturday and once again, it was a great show.

So my reports starts with an early am rise and shine, loading up the truck with my Korea Sherman, Da Davilland DH88 and The Belle of Belmont...oh yeah, loaded up Bruce also. :rotf :mpup

Bruce and I finially made it to the show after navigating numerous slow downs and even raging fires along the route. Chris and Mike were already pillaging the vendors and setting up their models to show.

Nice having both groups there, I wanted the Sherman to get a fair showing, even though I did get dinged or a seam line on a metal barrel... :smack :facepalm .

Dr Mike was there with his glues, he now has one that is thicker, slow cure and works with foam. I'll let you know how it works. Really nice guy, hope to have him signed up here soon.

Lunch was good, at World of Beers, our young server doomed himself when he asked if we were "old friends", old? :eek:ldguy :bat

When we got back we took in the SC Military Museum once again, didn't see anything new but still had a good time checking out the exhibits oh hand. Got some pictures there.

h7120701.jpg

South Carolina has a very rich military history, if you're ever in Columbia I highly recommend checking it out.

They have a halftrack with a gun mount in the back, can anyone ID this mount? It looks a bit backwards to me.

hf456f7e.jpg

hb08be3d.jpg

So back at the show, I notice some guys inspecting the models with pin lights. I stopped and watched...and I got challenged...what was I doing? Turned out these guys were judges and I asked why they using a pin light..it went down hill from there.

Long story short, we agreed to disagree about the use of such flaw enhancing devices, maybe we can debate this issue but I really don't like it. He pointed out seam on the Belle (he wasn't inspecting the Belle when this started so I wasn't trying to intimidate or influence anything) and I pointed out the seam disappears when you remove the LED spot light. Then he got me on the seam on the fuel tank. :rotf

Anyway, I did pretty good on the raffle, won 4 out of 12 tickets. I kept one win. FM-1 upgrade set for a Wildcat, that necessitated the purchase of a 1:48 Wildcat. Just so happen the vendor we were hanging out with had one..but he was cutting no deals. If I was a UGA fan I bet he would have come off some bucks.

h4a77da5.jpg

So there's my take from the show, no I didn't get the pin light at the show. Picked it up to use as my IPMS inspecting tool for anything I think I may want to enter in the future. :rotf :tomato :frantic

Oh, The DH88 came in second in it's category (I wasn't competing against Chris so I stood a chance) and I got AMPS Silver for the Sherman. (y)

Chris and Mike did very well at the show but I'll let them tell it. :notworthy

Had a great time, always good to have time with our modeling buds. :drinks

P.S. sorry, I didn't get any pictures of the models at the show.

Raging Fires?! Sounds like a harrowing trip! Too bad you didn't get pictures of the Show.
Whaddyagonnado?

Holly cow Bob. The Comet didn't get a first ??? Hard for me to believe :facepalm but then again there are some other things that I'm unable to explain :frantic

Well as usual , I am not charmed with IPMS . Kudos to AMPS and Mike Roof 's club for putting such a nice show together

It was fun but by the time we got back home, we were shot.

Cheers, Christian B)

..."P.S. sorry, I didn't get any pictures of the models at the show."... :frantic :frantic :frantic

Regards!

Luiz.

Holly cow Bob. The Comet didn't get a first ??? Hard for me to believe :facepalm but then again there are some other things that I'm unable to explain :frantic
Well as usual , I am not charmed with IPMS . Kudos to AMPS and Mike Roof 's club for putting such a nice show .

It was fun but by the time we got back home, we were shot.

Cheers, Christian B)

Chris won Best Aircraft with his Macchi c.200, the C202 and KI61 got first and second for 1:72, he took home a fist full of awards. :good:

Mike tell yours please.

Much fun was had! I got to see many old friends (yes, old) and met some new folks. Got some really good news, which is always good and found a few good deals that I could not continue to live without. Dr Mike was astounded that my bottle which was purchased several years ago, is still working. I too bought some of the new thicker formula, so I look forward to trying it.

I only took two photos at the show, truly I was too busy looking at the vendors and chatting with my friends. :idonno
Lunch was good.
It was a long day, but well worth it. Mike Roof had his hands full, as did all the hosts, but everything went smoothly and it appeared everyone had a good time.
Pen lights? That's another story...

:drinks

After the dust settled , this was my big deal of the day . Older publications but some good photography and details in these books. At 5 bucks a pop, it's hard to go wrong.

h555bdef.JPG

Also free for the taking....

h0197a3b.JPG

Of course I made sure to adhere to this policy.

habeedf6.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Mike won gold with his SIG 33 and the T55A won silver. That means you're in the Advanced level next time, you better get a pin light! :rotf

I have an extra special pen light reserved for just such occasions. :laugh:

Sure wish I could have fixed the Semovente to take it to this show, but it was not to be. :facepalm

Has anyone else had Friul tracks come apart? I usually use .020 brass wire for pins, but went with the supplied wire from Friulmodel on this set. It seems the pins have corroded and some are letting go. :idonno And of course, I used CA on the bottom side of the road wheels so the tracks would stay put when I pick it up. :bang head

It was really good to see Chris get the Best Aircraft, he really puts a lot into a very small package. :notworthy

Bob moved up a level with the Korean Sherman and got a well earned medal. Poking the judge might not have helped the cause on the IPMS side, but what the hey?

Member Roger Woods, skyraider4, cleaned up as well, he had to have won at least four awards. Congrats to the winners!

:drinks

The work you guys do is just great, I am but a mere padawan amongst Jedi..........

It was great to see everyone, and I not only managed to not stick my foot in my mouth at lunch (their menu thankfully did not go to 83), but only bought 4 models!!!!

Hey Bob, I think this is the penlight I saw the retired FBI Agent/Judge using. This guy's voice pretty much sums up how all of us felt about it's use in juddging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd6rn_fjeAE

I get his point about it, just don't agree. If a venue doesn't have good lighting I can see the need but using it to try and accent any flaws that are not visible under normal light, that's not right IMHO. The Belle had other issues that he pointed out that were valid and I appreciate the feed back he gave me.

That and he was a big ol' fella with a hell of a grip who might be reading this thread and only lives an hour from us...:rotf

Sounds like you all had a great time. Next year it's Chattanooga for the Nats, so everyone over this way needs to go. I am planning on it. Might even get a room and stay the night. We will see.

Back