• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IPMS / USA National Convention

Frank

Left Northeastern Iowa at 4 am Tuesday morning, 17 hours later Albuquerque, NM, overnight
Arrived in Phoenix Wednesday afternoon. 26 hours on the road.
When we arrived the temp was 109.

hf62c9ac.jpg

Thursday, what a day. (y) (y)
Introduced myself to Mark, aka: the Duke.
Mark brought his armor collection to the show.
I will work on getting photos uploaded this evening.
Frank

Left Northeastern Iowa at 4 am Tuesday morning, 17 hours later Albuquerque, NM, overnight
Frank

:stinker :D

Hi!

Two friends of mine that live in my city are in this show...one of them is showing a F100 in the 1:32 scale !

Best!

Luiz.

I saw someone's 700+ 1/72 armor collection amoungst the video scan of models in Andy's Hobby HQ YouTube video covering the event...might that be yours Mark?

Wonder if they just have a slide show.

How about it Mark, where's your report?

Right here Bob. I finally found some time to find this Thread and make a report after all the unloading and unpacking I had to do. Stuff still isn't quite packed away, and I also have a lot of acquisitions to photograph for the Acquisitions Thread.

I got into town on Tuesday which gave me time to make repairs without pressure and to relax before the show after my long drive. On Wednesday, as soon as they opened the contest room I went in to set up. Later that weekend (on Friday) my father flew in and I got to spend a couple days with him looking over everything in the convention. It was so wonderful being able to spend that time with him.

Frank, it was fantastic to meet you and I was thrilled to share this convention with you. Too bad we didn't get a pic of the two of us together to post here to prove we met! :facepalm

Luiz, I saw that F-100. What a magnificent model that was! Beautiful work!

I saw someone's 700+ 1/72 armor collection amoungst the video scan of models in Andy's Hobby HQ YouTube video covering the event...might that be yours Mark?

Yes Mike, that was my collection. I had reached the 700-piece milestone back in January 2016, and when IPMS Phoenix announced display tables, I contacted them about putting my entire collection on display. They agreed and gave me thee tables. There it was for the next four days. That collection represented 47 different model companies whose models I built....some of those companies don't exist anymore. I had also put up small flags next to my first armor model and my 700th armor model, along with flags for the countries represented in my collection.

It took me three and a half hours to get my collection set up. I was told that it made quite a splash at the convention with many people overwhelmed at the sheer size of it. I can honestly say that I have made IPMS USA history: the largest collection/most models brought to an IPMS Nationals convention by one person. Since the IPMS USA doesn't track that kind of thing, I won't get any mention from them about it; but everyone else who attended sure got an eyeful! My collection was even broadcast on the local news on Thursday morning. I was still in my hotel room waking up with coffee when they were filming it.

I also had 26 additional entries for the contest along with the 700 I brought for display. One of them (to be posted later in the Trophy Case) got a Third Place.

You goofed, now BOTH you and Mark are on the hook for pics. :D

Well, I don't know that I need to post any pics anymore. Luiz posted a slideshow showing so many models already; everything I have to post is all included in his slideshow already. Anything I add would be redundant. His slideshow even has things I completely missed.

If everyone wishes, I can post all the 1/72 scale entries that weren't mine since nearly all show photographers tend to overlook them when shooting shows like this. I'm guessing it's because they can't see them, but then that's what the macro setting is for! LOL! :tomato :rotf

Now that I'm back home, the collection is going to remain in the tubs I brought them in since I have no display space to place them on. I'll just continue to build until I get to 1000 finished armor models. Then maybe I'll bring all them out again and display them all at the next West Coast Nationals; provided they can give me four tables then.....

Thus concludes my report. Any other questions I'll be happy to answer. I only wish more of you guys would have come; I only get to see you at conventions like this and you are truly missed when you don't come. I was especially hoping to see more of you to show you in person the whole collection I brought.

Thanks for reading my long and tedious post.

Frank

:stinker :D

Gee, I had no idea that IPMS had a category for " colection " (y)

Awesome display of your collection, Mark! I wish I could have attended the show to see it in person. Perhaps I will when you reach the 800, 900, or 1000 mark, or for each milestone.

Cheers,
James

Thanks guys for the fantastic replies about my collection. I was so thrilled to have that out on display. Even I was giddy with excitement looking at it all out on display; I so rarely see that these days.

(snip)

Gee, I had no idea that IPMS had a category for " collection " (y)

Phantom, IPMS has two "collection" categories: one is for a collection entered by one person. It has to have a minimum of five models in the collection to qualify. The other collection category is for showing a Group Build by a club or other group of guys who enter multiple models as a collection; i.e. the collection of 64 T-55's entered by SoCal AMPS. My collection was on a display only; there were too many models that were broken, poorly painted, with missing or misaligned parts to compete. Then again, about a third of them were built between my ages of 7 to 18; long before I even knew about IPMS or AMPS or any other major modeling institution.

Awesome display of your collection, Mark! I wish I could have attended the show to see it in person. Perhaps I will when you reach the 800, 900, or 1000 mark, or for each milestone.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James! I would have loved to have met you there. The Chattanooga guys were telling me that I have to bring my "800" to their convention! LOL! Unfortunately I won't have 800 done by then. Besides, I would need to charter a truck or get help renting one big enough to carry everything. In any event, I don't see myself bringing it out again until I reach 1000. THAT will be a collection to see! I better start preparing for that now. LOL!

I second all commendations to Luiz for putting out that excellent slideshow. It was most outstanding and brought back many pleasant memories; as well as showing me several models I missed!

Thanks guys for the fantastic replies about my collection. I was so thrilled to have that out on display. Even I was giddy with excitement looking at it all out on display; I so rarely see that these days.

(snip)

Gee, I had no idea that IPMS had a category for " collection " (y)

Phantom, IPMS has two "collection" categories: one is for a collection entered by one person. It has to have a minimum of five models in the collection to qualify. The other collection category is for showing a Group Build by a club or other group of guys who enter multiple models as a collection; i.e. the collection of 64 T-55's entered by SoCal AMPS. My collection was on a display only; there were too many models that were broken, poorly painted, with missing or misaligned parts to compete. Then again, about a third of them were built between my ages of 7 to 18; long before I even knew about IPMS or AMPS or any other major modeling institution.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James! I would have loved to have met you there. The Chattanooga guys were telling me that I have to bring my "800" to their convention! LOL! Unfortunately I won't have 800 done by then. Besides, I would need to charter a truck or get help renting one big enough to carry everything. In any event, I don't see myself bringing it out again until I reach 1000. THAT will be a collection to see! I better start preparing for that now. LOL!

I second all commendations to Luiz for putting out that excellent slideshow. It was most outstanding and brought back many pleasant memories; as well as showing me several models I missed!

So, today I learn something new about IPMS :good:

Actually I remember them having the five of a kind back in Texas but I thought that was just a passing thing .

My only chance to enter that was lost to a leaky Chevy convertible in a monsoon like rain in Texas .
Cardboard bases do not do well, so the BF 109's never competed . Sounds like a war story don't it :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

Back