• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Omacon Overview 23 March 2019

Rhino

Super Moderator
Geezo! I finally got all the Omacon Pictures cut up!

h39fdb5c_2019-03-24.JPG

h9244bf9.JPG

he415e4e_2019-03-24.JPG

The "Shocking Pink Surgeons" in company with our favorite Giant sallied forth on a sunny Saturday morning.
Destination, Omaha, NE (well, Millard, NE really) to join in the fun of IPMS Fort Crook's annual contest.
For Runza and Humanity!! :yipee

h47a2615.JPG

Don's entries!

hef7648d.JPG

In the bright morning sunshine, my Sweetie bade me try on her sunglasses. A cross between Richard Petty & Elton John. Not truly my style.

We crossed the swollen Missouri River and entered the Land of Ni-Braska! Corn-fuskers, new highway bridges and warm hospitality. Our trip was without mishap. With I-29 closed from flooding quite a lot less heavy truck traffic was encountered. I did get passed by a convoy of 14 Illinois civilian vehicles, all going like the Devil Hisownself was on their tails! :idonno

If you are going to a Model Show, CLASH!
On to the Models!

h6bda554_2019-03-24.JPG

h0f5b272_2019-03-24.JPG

h5078cce.JPG

You don't see THIS everyday! FW-190 Steam-powered Egg-plane! Intricate! Imaginative!

ha8705b8.JPG

Cute!

hc2efa36.JPG

Dioramas. No eyeballs to dink with if your Doughboys are wearing gas masks!

h2d3e7f8.JPG

Masterbox zombies. This kit does NOT include the motorcycle!

hbb33524.JPG

A reverent offering from young Mr. Larry Klaussen.

h1da0d48.JPG

Sci-Fi! TIE fighters rolling in on a Biker Scout.

h8c33d14.JPG

he2b6cf5.JPG

"Never give up! Never Surrender!" The NSEA Protector is one of my favorite Star ships.

SHINIES!! I admire model cars and their intricate details! Funny Cars are my very favorite!

ha467a71.JPG

A twisted twist on Tom Daniels Paddy Wagon. Very amusing! :rotf

h30c776b.JPG

D-Model Mustang with Her muscles showing.....

h4d2ea70.JPG

A Bronco from days when Civil Defense was NO laughing matter in Sarpy County.....

Stock Car............

h32fdbdd.JPG

hb330b08.JPG

This old Chevy Pick-up was cool! :coolio

h0539469.JPG

Muscular Duster! :good:

Figures! Little people that never complain! :rotf

hd7dcf41.JPG

All Knight. Every Knight. All week long!

h8faf411.JPG

Bill came to visit his USAF Son and happened across the Show, all the way from California. A friendly and interesting Man. His figures have threaded inserts in their bases, and screws run through the bottom of a small tool box. He can travel the Country without much damage to them. His Cavalry Officer won the "America Strikes Back" special award here this day. First place award as well! DOOD!!

hd9ddb88.JPG

Bat-girl work clothes..........

h659969b.JPG

h07d8309.JPG

Bat-girl at quitting time. Helmet off, belt over Her shoulder, ready for comfier clothes.

h6e63d83.JPG

I like the flying boats Ed brings from Kansas!

I apologize for the quality of my photos. The lighting in the Electrician's Union Hall gave an eerie green hue to most subjects, and I was unable to salvage all the pictures. A couple I left the way they were, for contrast. :v :stinker
Ships!
h5f12eb8.JPG

Richard Sliwka's consistently amazing Naval vessel are on hand.

hcf0f73f.JPG

Meng Toon USS Lexington. The kit airplanes are turds! Not The Modelers fault!

hd067e31.JPG

hf8a5d87.JPG

1/700 CVB-41 USS Midway. A VERY interesting mix of aircraft for Her Air Group. Bearcats, Tigercats, A Savage, A2D Skyshark strikers, Even a pair of Navy P-80's. Neet-O!
She didn't look quite finished. Ports on the superstructure and arresting gear would go a long way towards how Midway appears on the Contest tables.

hb8d54ba.JPG

Petty Officer Mike Seek's USS Hazard. Mike makes his home in Carter Lake, IA and is lucky enough to volunteer on the ACTUAL AM-240, USS Hazard at Her Freedom Park berth!

h758adbe.JPG

Little Marley on the table with the other "Real Ships". Not a favorite of the Fort Crook head Judge.

What do you wanna see next? Airplanes of Armor?

Thanks for looking in!!

Alright then, Since Luiz responded first it's AIRPLANES!
hcef6b67.JPG

I like the little Kikka this one is 1/48 scale.

h8f9137f.JPG

The ever venomous Me-262A-1 Galland's jet!

hf0548d0.JPG

Scott Hackney did a fine job on his Ali-Cat F-14. We wuz gonna steal or wreck all these, at one time, LONG ago.

h2c7e6db.JPG

Randy Fields did a magnificent job on the ol' Monogram 1/48 F-84F Thunderjet!

h05ce0d5.JPG

Academy's 1/72 F-89 Scorpion. It has a fine finish! I KNOW this kit comes with cockpit parts. I always feel as if the "Blue Canopy" means the modeler didn't build the whole airplane model. I KNOW it was HIS model to do with as he wishes. If you don't like cockpits, OK. Still............
Unless there isn't any interior detail, then I can forgive a Man for his chicken-sh t blue canopy.

h8f59372.JPG

1/72 single engine prop category. Some nice models here!!

h0023d59.JPG

h3952579.JPG

Same Modeler scratch built these two beauties! You don't see the old Air-a-Cuda everyday! Since there isn't anything on the inside to build, I can understand the blue winders.

h8cb7dd8.JPG

Voisin-Farman bi-plane in 1/72. This one is a STUNNER! It may be the ancient Renwal kit with ALL the rigging! Very cool! :notworthy

hc97f089.JPG

An amazing 1/72 P-6E Curtiss Hawk. Supercharged for high altitude research! (y)

h6bf0dbf.JPG

On the other end of the Spectrum, Winston Vermiilia's 1/32 Jack. I had a nice chat with Winston. He's a talented, Interseting guy! He's doing a supercharged night-fighter conversion for the 1/32 Raiden, and a 1/32 YB-40 conversion set for the HK B-17G. :coolio
OOPS! I hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag too soon!!

ha3c1a62.JPG

Revell Ag's 1/144 White Knight & Spaceship 1. A buddy of mine's Son Matt worked on this project with Burt Rutan.
He was shocked to find a model kit was out, while He was still sworn to secrecy! PFFFGHT Matthew!!

Again. Please bear in mind that I don't try to take pictures of EVERY model at a Show. Just the one's that catch my eye!
Thanks for lookin' in!!

Some very cool subjects, but that lighting! Woof! :facepalm
Thanks for the report.
Looking forward to the rest of the photos. :good:

h732e65a.JPG

Artillery! Accordind to IPMS Rules, a Bomarc Missile is considered Artillery, since it shoots down airplanes.

h65ea4a8.JPG

1/35 German A7V tank from the Great War. This must be the only time I've seen one with an interior & convertible top.

hf789d89.JPG

Academy USMC M-50 Ontos with the Eduard metal rifle tubes. Edwin's Model from Kansas. OOO-RAH!

h8cbb3c5.JPG

War Toon's "Tigger 1 Tank". Finally! A Tiger with stripes!!

h10cddf1.JPG

IPMS Fort Crook Members hard at work! Registration

h369f361.JPG

Judging! Don't groan about the lights! The the "Green Glow" they may have been necessary!

hd80f644.JPG

Raffle..........

hab2e880.JPG

Club President Don Joy & the Awards Team!

Vendors!

hae9aab2.JPG

Winston doesn't run Wings & Treads full-time like he used too. He got a Day Job! You can still buy almost ANYTHING from Mr. Vermillia!

h583cdc8.JPG

Larry McDermott plies his plastic wares!

h75fde20.JPG

I found Mike's French Campaign Panzer II kit in this Gentleman's treasures!

There was another Vendor with LOTS of Sci-Fi kits, and the unpictured Jay Chladek was there selling Real Space and other Cool kits. The pictures were so AWFUL I wouldn't want to show them to you. :sick: :stinker :facepalm

There! That's better!
My wifi comes over the hotspot on my phone. Every time the phone rings, Wifi takes a vacation.
Funking US Cellular! :vmad They didn't mention that when I switched off the pricey service to my ancient mobile hotspot!

Joining Teresa, Don and myself were Surgeon Stalwarts George Stevens, Ross Petra, Joe Lotz Aimee Wright and Jeff Holle.

ha1c9f74.JPG

That's not The Grinch! That's George! He was super-pleased with his raffle prizes!

h887787b.JPG

Teresa supports the local club by buying raffle tickets too! We had a fair number of prizes for our 48 ticket buy, in a lightly attended Omaha show.

200 entries by 40-odd modelers made Omacon a little cozier this year. The Club missed the usual KC area Modelers.
I-75 was open & dry from St. Joe to Omaha. :idonno

Horn-tooting time!

hbab590d.JPG

h00e8da2.JPG

h0696d10.JPG

Don Barry's awards. 3 out of 4! :yipee

ha396dd3.JPG

h5d21112.JPG

Ross Petra's awards. Clean-sweep, 2 of 2!

I have more pictures. The upload stalls at 48% and gives up. I'll try again later. Sorry Men.

h09a605d.JPG

ha189a64.JPG

h3a2532c.JPG

I believed I had fallen into disfavor with the Head Judge. He wanted to put Marley in the Miscellaneous category, rather than with the "Real Ships". He did NOT care for my camo, or my "Make a Model, Make some FUn"style.
I was surprised & humbled to be awarded at OMACON at all.

Then! Celebration!

hb09d913.JPG

For Runza and Humanity!!

Thanks for looking in! A fine, safe trip was made by all!

Back