• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Fleacon 13 27 April 2019 Monticello, Iowa

Rhino

Super Moderator
The IPMS Alexander Lippisch chapter held their 19th show in Monticello Iowa last Saturday.
April Iowa weather was less than stellar with 58 Modelers entering 182 models. I took near 90 photos and I'm still cutting them up.

Patience, Men.

h158f98a.JPG

hfd50f25.JPG

Saturday, 27 April 0900-ish. The steely-eyed "Shocking Pink Surgeons" take to the Highway. Mission objective; Monticello, Iowa and the hospitality and fun of Fleacon 13. Visibility: 1/4 mile. Rain. Ceiling 500 to ground level. Wind: 20-25 kts from the N/NE.
Ideal for a speedy, stealthy approach to Thomas Jefferson's hometown.

h24d1966.JPG

Registration.

h9f0cc53.JPG

The affable Frank Miller wears a "Fartin' Flea" sly grin, as if He knows something no one else does.
The Lippisch Club judges your models as you enter by calling your entrant number and judging your models before registration closes in most cases. eliminating the call for volunteer judges in the mad scramble to score every kit after lunch and before the Awards proceedings. THEN! You can write your name on the table display ship, so others can appreciate your works by name. Awards are Gold/Silver/Bronze based on total points scored.

h1401bd8.JPG

Mrs. Mangold concentrates on tabulations, early in the show. Husband Adam will announce awards later on.

he660bf9.JPG

h33665d1.JPG

hfcb097e.JPG

Mrs. Miller waves & grins, busied by raffle chores. HUGE Raffle! They had a Minions Fart blaster behind the counter! :stinker Be warned!!

hc48026d.JPG

Rick Filosa's Sweetheat offered a beautiful patriotic quilt in a separate raffle. IMPS Alexander Lippisch will match the "Big Blankie Raffle" proceeds to support Eastern Iowa Veterans affairs. The final sum came to $960.00 at days end.
WOOOO!!!! :yipee

Vendors Next!

h0bf0eb6.JPG

h026884d.JPG

Mad City's Scott Hoffland & Plastic Surgeon's Joe Lotz perusing vendors (and Goofing off!)

h5b23094.JPG

h90e3c3a.JPG

Lots of plastic kits to be found! Prices varied from premium to cheap.

h1052c4f.JPG

Behind a very purty Lockheed Tri-Star you can see a bit of Ralph Fredlunds vast Car Model wares!

hd5edd71.JPG

h36c2360.JPG

Junior Modelers!

h2020fe3.JPG

h5a1715e.JPG

h0a7fb90.JPG

hfe390ba.JPG

Lego Saturn V rocket, with LEM, Lego scale Neil & Buzz, and capsule with Steady One flotation collar. FUN!

Sci-Fi & Real Space category

Patience, my friends. Teresa looked after our raffle-ness. I had more time to B/S and visit with old model friends. Raffle booty picture will blow you away. The final Fleacon 13 post!
Again, please understand my meager efforts show models on display that caught my eye. By NO means is this a complete "Report".

Winston Vermillia, 1/32 aircraft model Master and Wings & Treads owner brought the 600+ part Lego Rocket.
Was Lego not the starting place for many of us that wished for more complex "toys"? It was COOL!

h96e8fa7.JPG

he6e570a.JPG

Ron Teubert's Mack Wrecker!

hb8c7fed.JPG

1/24 Fairmont Futura resin Pro-street racer kit.

h80d49ea.JPG

You don't see this kit built everyday!

h29d899e.JPG

Mike Wheaton's British Man-of War. She looks like Ark Royal to me. She's NOT wood. Mike scratch-builds in plastic and finishes in a very convincing wood scheme. Intricate & precise. Then the rigging! (y) :bang head
:drinks

hda798e7.JPG

h761350f.JPG

These 2 vessels are wood!

h3a7cd2a.JPG

h587da83.JPG

h1bcaa7e.JPG

Flea's member Johnathan Wilke has come a long way with his ship-building skills! 1/700 IJN Akagi has crewmen about her flight deck in purposeful poses. From the planes I surmise this is Akagi, at the Battle of Midway, June 1942, right before US Navy SBD Dauntless dive bombers struck Her.
Hobby Robbie Folden's 1/500 IJN Yamato is in the background. While packing up before Awards, Yamato's crane & masts were broken off.

he682ff5.JPG

My own 1/350 Vietnam Point Welcome, 1/700 "Kwitcherbitchin'" Cigarette boat, and 1/700 HMJS Marley Submarine were among many fine models in the Ships Category.

hec8f751.JPG

The subject was cool! I doubt the modeler knows that these Higgins LCVP's were made mostly of wood. :facepalm :smack

h22582bf.JPG

ha39d63a.JPG

One of Winstom Vermillia's other entires a 1/32 IJA Shoki Ki-44IIb with 20mm guns.

h50f71cf.JPG

Virgil Stansbury did this with Monograms 1/72 snap-toghether P-40F NEET-O!

h8c27fe6.JPG

Wingnut Wings 1/32 Hanriot. Lookit all the wires!! :v

hd29f9ca.JPG

"Abandoned Garage" 1/24 scale diorama.

On too Tanks!

hf2884eb.JPG

hf5c32f6.JPG

hf2a2b19.JPG

h3e1dc80.JPG

h12acae8.JPG

h516ce62.JPG

Interesting river crossing diorama. Good story, lots of action going on. Moer 1/35 horses than I've seen in a long time!

h6194012.JPG

h5d9f75d.JPG

I liked the bed frame armor on the T-34. I do love a Panter. The little 38t Hetzer was cool too!

h6508506.JPG

hd547305.JPG

Don Barry's 1/35 Bridgelayer & 37mm Mobelwagen.

h207d447.JPG

Cute! HA! Injection is fine, but I would rather be blown!
h401c8e4.JPG

h74a03a7.JPG

Tiger I's!

h6985c10.JPG

Ray Power's Gold Award KT II 105mm, 1946.

h2135162.JPG

A nice Korean War Sherman.

hcabc06d.JPG

I like the 1/35 M-24 Chaffee as well!

h8378113.JPG

h0af1ba3.JPG

And NOW! Little Bitty tanks!

h5162ddb.JPG

h0aa67c8.JPG

Ed St. Dennis' 1/72 British APC. A recent release.
h5800446.JPG

Rob Teubert's WWI Male tank.

h6c56d81.JPG

Mixed snow, sleet, rain & wind in Monticello. Unexpected for late April, but not a huge surprise.
The inclement weather outside did NOT dampen the spirits of Fleacon 13 hosts or contestants inside.
Food was served the the ladies of the Monticello Eagles Lodge. I had my very first turkey & dressing sandwich. Not unlike a Thanksgiving Maid-Rite. Hot & tasty! I suffered spontaneous, explosive, vile flatulence later on this night. No smoke alarm was triggered, but Footsie Kapesta!

h118196d.JPG

hc9a8ed8.JPG

h31bed66.JPG

Larry Klaussen made a shorter drive to play with us all this weekend!

h2a33c9d.JPG

I got quite a chuckle from the UPS Walker, stomping & kicking through a cabbage patch!

Plastic Surgeon members in attendance were Don Barry & his grandson Dane, Ray Powers, Ross Petra, Joe Lotz & Aimee Wright, Jeff Holle, Kevin Uetzsellar (sp. HA!) Teresa & Myself. Other central Iowa model stalwarts included Mark & Eric Grossman, Ed Buckley, Hobby Robbie Folden & Ken Kirkpatrick. IPMS National member, Loren Pike came as a vendor.
The Fartin' Fleas Club has come a long way in just 13 shows. A well-run, well organized, spacious, well lighted show!

A few Plastic Surgeons Awards:

hbb659b2.JPG

Ross Petra's Wespe was well appreciated. I still enjoy watching Ross receive his Awards. A skillful & yet humble model maker!

hd23571b.JPG

haf79a66.JPG

Ross' other prizes!

hf6bc6cf.JPG

h417ee9c.JPG

h67dd853.JPG

h6db25ad.JPG

h934930c.JPG

Joe Lotz' Prizes!

hd970e09.JPG

Frank commented that The Fleas Judges laughed so hard at my Samurai Bathtub, they HAD to give Her a Gold!
THAT was EXACTLY what I had in mind while building it! EXACTLY!

h18bb994.JPG

Marley got some appreciation!

he36bdd9.JPG

1/350 TLAR Models USCGC Point Welcome did well. The Modeler forgot to put "Vietnam" on his form, so She wasn't considered for the "Best Vietnam" special award.

hdc38779.JPG

TLAR Models 1/700 Waterline "Kwitcherbitchin" boat received Her first award!

hd4da9b8.JPG

Der Baron's Werkhorse FW-190A-8 got loved up too! The IAW Decals 1/72 Red Baron laser printed decal sheet went live today on eBay as well! 5 awards for 5 entries! A clean sweep! YAY!

h4414b37.JPG

This is how my clever, inventive, beloved, Sweetheart transported our raffle prizes to the car in the snowstorm!

h28bb9b3.JPG

In the quiet of our Marion home, this is the raffle booty for the day! Not all the kits are complete. But...........

h1568f94.JPG

Given my recent full paycheck, I bought a few things too. Hobbytown CR was at the show too! Every entrant got a coupon for $5.00 of HobbyBucks! I spent mine on my favorite 1/72 US Navy jet, in THE BEST squadron markings!
They had waterproof airplanes for sale, but no one went outside to play airplanes this year.

h34d426f.JPG

If your Sweetie has a cat that needs discipline without any real physical damage, I recommend one of these!

Our RTB in snow/slushy roads was without mishap. A very fine time ws had a Fleacon 13! My hat is off to their membership! Larry Martinson at the raffle board, Adam Mangold & FranK Miller during awards, and the rest of IPMS Alexander Lippisch did a 4-0 job!
Teresa watched with envious eyes as another lady won the Quilt Raffle.

h102654a.JPG

We went laughing, singing and smooching at our favorite place later on that night. I gleefully sported my Fleas club cap. What a GOOD Day!!
That's all I have to say about Fleacon 13.
Thanks for looking in!!

Back